ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can you still look for another job if you accept one offer

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

netacct

Can you still look for another job if you accept one offer

Post by netacct » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:10 pm

Hi All,

I was wondering, if you accept an offer from company A and still keep looking for another good offer. If you get another offer from company B after few weeks, but before joining company, Can you do that?

Or is it, once you accept an offer, you have to STOP.

Thanks in advance
Sachin

magata

Post by magata » Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:12 pm

I will be good to know

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: Can you still look for another job if you accept one off

Post by sakura » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:15 pm

netacct wrote:Hi All,

I was wondering, if you accept an offer from company A and still keep looking for another good offer. If you get another offer from company B after few weeks, but before joining company, Can you do that?

Thanks in advance
Sachin
Well if you haven't signed anything, I don't think there are any legal problems. It'll just be really, really irritating - don't ever show your face in that company again!

philgeorge999

Post by philgeorge999 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:35 pm

sakura wrote:Well if you haven't signed anything, I don't think there are any legal problems. It'll just be really, really irritating - don't ever show your face in that company again!
Even if you have signed something, you are not actually obliged to actually start there. We have had several people who've accepted offers, signed the contract, but never turned up! However it is very bad form (would you like it if a company offered you a job but it suddenly disappeared?) so people who accept an offer and then never start are often blacklisted and you will not likely get an offer from them again.

phil

JavaGuy

Post by JavaGuy » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:38 pm

Never ever do that. You will not only be blacklisted by the company, but also by the recruitment agency and possibley its associates. next time you go around looking for a job, you will be rejected by anyone coming across your file.

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Sat Nov 03, 2007 5:27 pm

I agree with what everyone else has said. Technically, if you haven't signed anything, then you can keep looking and take something else.

If you've signed, you are agreeing to work there and they can require you to pay compensation if you back out, but most companies don't bother. You're generally safe if you back out of an agreement.

The big damage from taking something else after you've accepted is that you'll end up destroying relationships. You'll never be able to work for that company again, and if you've used a recruiter you can pretty much forget that relationship as well.

But, in the end you have to live with whatever job you take, so if you're not going to be happy with it, you're better off getting out of it before you start. Just don't expect to be able to go back there if things don't work out.

Good luck.

vin123
Member of Standing

Post by vin123 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:37 pm

Employers are free to do the same (giving conditional job offers and later withdrawing) so why not you ?. By all means you are free to withdraw yourself but make sure you don't end up totally jobless in this experiment.

netacct wrote:Hi All,

Thanks in advance
Sachin

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:28 pm

I completely disagree with the notion that you will be "blacklisted" if you back out after signing an employment contract.

Recruitment agents are sharks and will certainly deal with you again if it is in their interests to do so. It doesn't matter how many times you kick a recruitment agent in the teeth, he'll always come back for more if he can make a commission off of you.

Personally when I'm looking for a new job I don't stop actively looking until the day I actually start my new job. There are always better opportunities coming along and at the end of the day you should never feel forced to do anything you don't want to do.

If you sign a job offer and later decide it's a mistake and back out there really is not a lot a company can do.

Similarly there's not a lot a company can do either if you decide to walk out without giving the required notice period.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

stmellon

Post by stmellon » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:30 pm

Dawie wrote: Similarly there's not a lot a company can do either if you decide to walk out without giving the required notice period.
From my own limited experience, I have always had a "probabtion" period for the first few months in which the required notice period is one week - so if you were to find something else, it's a pretty short notice period anyway!

hitesh26881
Newly Registered

can we work simultaneously for 2 companies in UK

Post by hitesh26881 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:23 pm

Hi i have a doubt

If we have one job in hand and working for 6/8 hours per day.
If we get a chance to work for other company/contract to work in anytime during the rest of the day, is it accepted over there in Uk legally.

Please update

philgeorge999

Re: can we work simultaneously for 2 companies in UK

Post by philgeorge999 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:19 pm

It depends on what it says in your contract. Most companies only allow you to do this only if your manager approves. It is of course your choice if you wish to break the terms of your contract without telling them.

hitesh26881 wrote:Hi i have a doubt

If we have one job in hand and working for 6/8 hours per day.
If we get a chance to work for other company/contract to work in anytime during the rest of the day, is it accepted over there in Uk legally.

Please update

netacct

Post by netacct » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:02 pm

how wise it is to resign first and then start looking for a jobs considering notice period and travelling to interviews?

philgeorge999

Post by philgeorge999 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:58 pm

Why would you want to do that? Isn't it better to find another job first and then resign? Employers are generally happy to wait 1 month, and sometimes 3 months, for people to work their notice periods. If you have a longer notice period than 3 months then your only realistic option is indeed to resign first... and then you have to take a gamble as to how long it will take to find another

netacct wrote:how wise it is to resign first and then start looking for a jobs considering notice period and travelling to interviews?

netacct

Post by netacct » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:54 pm

I got an offer from Agency A for Company C.

Agency A asked me to sign a letter (one page containing details like Company name C, salary, start date, holidays etc, without any terms & conditions) which I have signed. I have not signed any letters/doc from Company C.

Now, I have got another good offer which I want to take on. Can I simply say this Agency A that I can not join Company C? Are there any legal stuffs here?

Thanks in advance.

ThirdWorldTraveller
Member of Standing

similar situation

Post by ThirdWorldTraveller » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:05 pm

I think I'm in a similar situation as netact so I told you my case, and lookign for advice.

I have got two offers in two days. I stop looking for jobs after getting these offers, but in two minds which one to join. Both send me an almost identical contractual agreement( 2 copies), asked for references and a signed copy of the contract agreement.
I'm wondering the legal and ethical aftereffect of signing both these contracts, and later join one of them.
On the ethical ground, I'm more or less clear that its not a good thing to do, however looks for advice on the legal side of it.
Third World Traveller

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Re: similar situation

Post by thirdwave » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:46 pm

HSMP_maybe wrote:I think I'm in a similar situation as netact so I told you my case, and lookign for advice.

I have got two offers in two days. I stop looking for jobs after getting these offers, but in two minds which one to join. Both send me an almost identical contractual agreement( 2 copies), asked for references and a signed copy of the contract agreement.
I'm wondering the legal and ethical aftereffect of signing both these contracts, and later join one of them.
On the ethical ground, I'm more or less clear that its not a good thing to do, however looks for advice on the legal side of it.
Legally, you`ll be on dodgy ground if you sign two contracts..

netacct

Post by netacct » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:27 am

Please can someone give legal advice? What could practically happen?
I don't want to be jobless and sued by someone.
Please this is really urgent.
Victoria, may be you can give some advice :lol:

shads
Newly Registered

Post by shads » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:05 am

Legally, the company could take you to court if you pull out after signing the contract. However, I've never heard of a company doing this. The cost of taking it to court is just not worthwhile.

Ethically and morally I think it's poor form, it would be much better to stall them until you make a decision.

netacct

Post by netacct » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:52 am

I do agree that morally it is wrong. But here is my view.

Company get 100s of CVs for 1 position.
They shortlist and invite 4 best candidates depending on their requirements.
The choose the best in 4 and make a decision if they like.
In short, company can always choose whom they want to hire.

However, as a candidate we have no power over the process.
We can keep just applying to all the companies and expect some calls and then may be interview and offer.

I have been hunting job since last 6 months but expect 2 interview calls, all calls were from small companies like 2 guys, 3 guys, 10 guys etc. I never received any calls from good/big/medium sized companies.

So, we are left with only one option. Take the first job whatever you get and still keep looking for good jobs.

I would say its 100% justifiable.

I want to join google in london but :lol:

meer_iet

Post by meer_iet » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:36 pm

netacct,

Go for the one which you want to join, irrelevant of whether you have signed sth or even you already have joined some company. Its bullshit to think what agents or companies will do and think. you have to think what is best for you. There are always plenty of agents to recruit you and good companies to join and of course plenty of candidates for the agents and companies.

btw how much experience you have in this smart corporate world?

Regds