ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dual citizenship (British and German)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nomadover9k
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Dual citizenship (British and German)

Post by nomadover9k » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:07 pm

Hello everyone,

I am planning to apply for a British citizenship but I would like to keep my German one as my family still lives back there and I am regularly traveling back for personal and business purposes. I am fully eligible to get one regarding to the requirements list.

But as far as I am aware once I've got the British citizenship my German will automatically taken off me and I have to apply extra to keep it.

Could someone please give me more information on this topic as I am quite worrying to do the next step.

Thank you,
Nomad

ai20s
Newly Registered

Re: Dual citizenship (British and German)

Post by ai20s » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:27 pm

Germany does allow dual nationality with other EU member states. Therefore, you can keep both nationalities after naturalisation. It is less clear though what will happen after 2019.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:13 pm

Agree with the previous poster, but there have been no pronouncements from the German government regarding this subject. I am assuming that no one will be stripped of their German citizenship which would be a highly controversial act given German history (Third Reich and GDR).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:06 am

For reference FAQ from the German Embassy website:
https://uk.diplo.de/uk-de/02/faq-inform ... xit/610518

In German:
13. Verliere ich die deutsche Staatsangehörigkeit durch Erwerb der britischen Staatsangehörigkeit?
Nach dem geltenden deutschen Staatsangehörigkeitsrecht verliert ein/e Deutsche/r seine deutsche Staatsangehörigkeit nicht, wenn er/sie nach dem 28.08.2007 die Staatsangehörigkeit eines EU-Mitgliedstaates oder der Schweiz erwirbt. Wenn Sie vor dem EU-Austritt des Vereinigten Königreichs von den britischen Behörden eingebürgert werden, verlieren Sie nach derzeitigem deutschem Recht die deutsche Staatsangehörigkeit nicht und benötigen keine Beibehaltungsgenehmigung.

Last sentence: if BC obtained before the UK leaves the EU then you will not loose German citizenship.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

nomadover9k
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by nomadover9k » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:44 pm

Thank you for your replies, guys. I have been misinformed for long period of time. It is all clear now.