ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I get married with a British citizen in the UK with my 6-month visa free status?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ruby Tran
Newly Registered

Can I get married with a British citizen in the UK with my 6-month visa free status?

Post by Ruby Tran » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:06 am

Hi guys

I am a Hong Kong citizen and I can travel and stay in the UK for 6 months visa free.

I am planning to marry my British citizen boyfriend in March 2018 this year.

I wanna ask - do I need a fiance visa / 'prospective marriage visa' to come to the UK and get married in March?

Or I can enter, stay and get married in the UK with my 6-month visa free passport?

I am confused because I've read many different opinions online. I have also read that the fiance visa / 'prospective marriage visa' is only for people who wanna go to the UK, get married and leave the UK within 6 months with no intention to stay. Is it true?

My case is that I will get married and I will stay in the UK permanently to find work etc with no intention to leave.

Do I need to apply for the fiance visa / 'prospective marriage visa' or I can use my 6-m visa free status to enter the UK get married and then apply for spouse visa?

Thank you for answering my question, have a good day everyone ^__^

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Can I get married with a British citizen in the UK with my 6-month visa free status?

Post by Casa » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:16 am

Ruby Tran wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:06 am
Hi guys

I am a Hong Kong citizen and I can travel and stay in the UK for 6 months visa free.

I am planning to marry my British citizen boyfriend in March 2018 this year.

I wanna ask - do I need a fiance visa / 'prospective marriage visa' to come to the UK and get married in March?

Or I can enter, stay and get married in the UK with my 6-month visa free passport?

I am confused because I've read many different opinions online. I have also read that the fiance visa / 'prospective marriage visa' is only for people who wanna go to the UK, get married and leave the UK within 6 months with no intention to stay. Is it true?

My case is that I will get married and I will stay in the UK permanently to find work etc with no intention to leave.

Do I need to apply for the fiance visa / 'prospective marriage visa' or I can use my 6-m visa free status to enter the UK get married and then apply for spouse visa?

Thank you for answering my question, have a good day everyone ^__^

You can't marry in the UK while here as a visitor.
The Home Office have tightened requirements considerably for foreign nationals marrying in the UK. If you attempt to marry without the appropriate visa the Registrar will notify the HO. :!:

Neither can you switch to any other visa category (including a spouse visa) when in the UK as a visitor, You need to apply for a fiance visa which will enable you to marry within 6 months and then apply for a FLR(M) visa before your fiance visa expires.

Does your fiance meet the manadatory minimum income level of £18,600 p.a?

You've also left it late to plan for a March wedding. A fiance visa can take 60 days (or more) to process and you won't be able to give notice to marry with the Registrar until you are in the UK with a standard notification period of 28 days. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Ruby Tran
Newly Registered

Re: Can I get married with a British citizen in the UK with my 6-month visa free status?

Post by Ruby Tran » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:23 am

My bf is a self-employed artist who does not work for anyone or any company so he does not have a stable income as his monthly income fluctuates and cash-based. Can he meet the requirements by showing his savings / bank balance like bank statement?

I am flexible with the marriage date and month and can change it according to situations so I can wait until my fiance visa gets sorted give notice etc.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:30 am

How much savings does he have and how long has he had it in the bank for?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ruby Tran
Newly Registered

Post by Ruby Tran » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:34 am

Around £15000 savings

In the bank for 2 months because of a flat sale. He sold a flat and got this money around two months ago.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:36 am

£15k is not sufficient. He would need £62,500 held for at least 6 months.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ruby Tran
Newly Registered

Post by Ruby Tran » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:39 am

So with his current savings, I will not be able to apply for a fiance visa? Or just won't be able to get a spouse visa once married?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:40 am

Neither as the requirement for a fiance visa is the same for a spouse visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Ruby Tran
Newly Registered

Post by Ruby Tran » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:44 am

But I've also read from gov.UK that the documents I need to give is my financial proof that I can support yourself during your trip, for example bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months, it does not mention anything about my bf income or savings.? ???? Thanks

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-visa/docume ... st-provide

3. Documents you must provide
When you apply you’ll need to provide:

a current passport or other valid travel identification

proof that you can support yourself during your trip, for example bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months

proof of your future plans for the relationship, for example documents to show where you’ll live
details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans - you shouldn’t pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa

You can also supply the following to support your application:

details of the marriage or civil partnership and proof that you’ve paid money for some of its costs
proof that you’re planning to get married in the UK, for example a booking confirmation or emails between you and the venue

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:47 am

You are looking at the wrong visa. The link you have provided is the one where you have to leave the UK. It is a marriage visitor visa which costs about £85 NOT a fiance visa which costs £1464.

For a fiance visa your partners financial proof is required.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Ruby Tran
Newly Registered

Post by Ruby Tran » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:52 am

Oh I am so sorry I've made a mistake.

So which one do I need?

I am in the UK at the moment on Tier 5 working holiday visa but it will expire in mid-Feb. So in early Feb I will fly back from the UK to Hong Kong you know to see my family spend time there for maybe 2 months before coming back to the UK to arrange to get married.

The visa I've got in mind is the one which enables non-UK non-EU citizens to enter the UK and get married.

Do I need the fiance one or the marriage visitor one for my case?

I am so sorry I was confusing everyone sorry ^__^

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:54 am

This one in link below.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Ruby Tran
Newly Registered

Post by Ruby Tran » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:59 am

Thank you for the link

But it is for partner and spouse?

I am not married to my bf yet so I'm not a spouse?

I just wanted to know if I could enter the UK as a tourist and get married in the UK, then either go back to hk first / directly apply for a spouse visa to relocate to the UK. You have confirmed with me that I cannot get married as a tourist in your earlier posts.

So I need to apply for some sorta visa like - marriage visitor visa? I don't plan to be engaged then get married, just go from single to married so the fiance visa is not for me, right?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:48 am

But it is for partner and spouse?
I am not married to my bf yet so I'm not a spouse?
Please, read the link and information not just the headings.
If you’re outside the UK
You can apply for a family visa to live with your:

spouse or partner
fiancé, fiancée or proposed civil partner
child
parent
relative who’ll provide long-term care for you
I just wanted to know if I could enter the UK as a tourist and get married in the UK, then either go back to hk first / directly apply for a spouse visa to relocate to the UK. You have confirmed with me that I cannot get married as a tourist in your earlier posts.
No you cannot as Casa has already advised.
So I need to apply for some sorta visa like - marriage visitor visa? I don't plan to be engaged then get married, just go from single to married so the fiance visa is not for me, right?
If you want to marry in the UK and then apply within the UK to stay, you have to apply for a fiance visa. This is a visa that permits you to marry and then apply for a visa to remain in the UK. It is a settlement visa NOT an 'engagement' visa.

A marriage visitor visa is ONLY for people who want to marry in the UK and NOT stay. They marry, leave and don't settle here. It is a VISITOR visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)