ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visit To Home Country After Naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

HypeBeast
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Visit To Home Country After Naturalisation

Post by HypeBeast » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:31 am

Hi everyone,

I entered in U.K. as an asylum seeker but I was granted Humanitarian Protection Visa by Home Office, U.K. due to life threat in my home country. After 5 years, I was given indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in form of BRP card by the Home Office, U.K. but I received a letter from Home Office with my BRP card that I can’t visit my Home Country otherwiss my ILR will be revoked.

Recently, I have been granted British Citizenship and now I have received my British passport.

I hold valid document to travel to my country which is issued by my home country.

Can I now travel to my home country? Will Home Office cancel my nationality upon my return to U.K.?

I will highly appreciate if someone can guide me in this regard.

Thanks in advance.

HypeBeast
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Visit To Home Country After Naturalisation

Post by HypeBeast » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:29 pm

Bump :(

xpscapable
Australia

Post by xpscapable » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:14 am

In regards to citizenship, it's difficult to revoke once granted. However, they can revoke the citizenship if gained by deception, fraud, or not concealed information that would otherwise cause you not to get the British Citizenship in the first place.

That being said, if the grant of IRL and then BC is based on the life threat that you get in your prior home country (I'm going to assume that home is the UK now), would the fact that you're visiting country invalidated the cause of granting your ILR & BC? That means you actually had no threat to your life and the Home Office could see this as misinformation.

xpscapable
Australia

Post by xpscapable » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:19 am

Note that your citizenship can be revoked even if it leaves you stateless based on the below scenario:

researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN06820/SN06820.pdf

Scenarios:

#2) The person obtained his citizenship through registration or naturalisation, and the Home Secretary is satisfied that this was obtained by fraud, false representation or the concealment of a material fact;

#3) The person obtained his citizenship through naturalisation, and the Home Secretary
─ considers that deprivation is conducive to the public good because the person has conducted themselves ‘in a manner which is seriously prejudicial to the vital interests of the United Kingdom, any of the Islands, or any British overseas territory’; and
─ has reasonable grounds to believe that the person is able to become a national of another country or territory under its laws.

In the second and third scenarios, deprivation of citizenship is permissible even if the person would be left stateless.

ariskar
Member of Standing
Mood:
Greece

Post by ariskar » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:45 am

Make sure that the travel document (passport) of your home country does not include any evidence that you visited your home country when you held Refugee Leave to Remain or ILR with the restriction as you mentioned.

These points to be careful about:
  • Issue date and place of home country passport. Must be after British Citizenship was granted (ceremony)
  • No mentions of residence/domicile on your home country passport indicating dates predating British Citizenship being granted
  • No travel stamps to any other country indicating dates predating British Citizenship being granted
    No mentions of previous passports (as replacement) with issue dates during your Refugee Leave or ILR period.
If any of the above apply, I would advise replacing or destroying your home country travel document as it could be used as proof of deception or breach of immigration rules in citizenship deprivation cases.

The risk probability is very low. The impact is massive though. I wouldn't take the chance before ensuring no inconvenient information is on the home passport you mention and replacing it with a new one before travelling, if necessary. :!:

:arrow: I agree with all the aforementioned answers.

Sand6
United Kingdom

Post by Sand6 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:33 pm

HypeBeast wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:31 am
Hi everyone,

I entered in U.K. as an asylum seeker but I was granted Humanitarian Protection Visa by Home Office, U.K. due to life threat in my home country. After 5 years, I was given indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in form of BRP card by the Home Office, U.K. but I received a letter from Home Office with my BRP card that I can’t visit my Home Country otherwiss my ILR will be revoked.

Recently, I have been granted British Citizenship and now I have received my British passport.

I hold valid document to travel to my country which is issued by my home country.

Can I now travel to my home country? Will Home Office cancel my nationality upon my return to U.K.?

I will highly appreciate if someone can guide me in this regard.

Thanks in advance.
Hi just want to know were you holding valid home country travel document when applied for naturalisation or you got it after that as I will apply next year for naturalisation and hold a valid home country travel document but never used it at all as never been out of the UK even once in the last nearly 7 years, I am really concerned that is it a trouble for me when I will apply for naturalisation even though I got my ilr without any problem and quite quickly I submitted my country travel document with my set p application though. I was told with the ilr letter I should not use it which I am definitely not using it. Can you please share your experience to help me out.