ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

6 weeks absence rule

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Alixlboy
Member of Standing
Ireland

6 weeks absence rule

Post by Alixlboy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:04 am

I heard that the passport office are getting crazily strict and have just rejected citizenship to a British lady, based on the fact that she had lived outside Ireland for more than 6 weeks, on two separate occasions combined. This was in the news. Does that apply to Stamp 4 EUFAM holders as well?

This is simply crazy, if they start doing so, as no one would not have stayed out of the state for less than 6 weeks I suppose.

Link to the news: https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishti ... 3fmode=amp

Regards,

Mal111
Member of Standing
Mood:
India

Re: 6 weeks absence rule

Post by Mal111 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:34 am

they are not overly strict they are very clear on that 1 year prior to application residence must be continuous in term of stamps (for non eu) and physically residence so yea her application was ineligible in 2017.

regarding if this applies to eu fam holider it definitely is

in fact in my experience eu fam holder maybe wait longer then then other applicant I applied in sept 2016 still waiting, one of my friend applied in mar 2016 still waiting and I saw 3 people on this board who applied in 2016 and still waiting also a user name ali here got his citizenship in oct 2017 he applied in oct 2015 we all have eufam stamp in common.

Alixlboy
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Alixlboy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:15 am

Mal111 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:34 am
they are not overly strict they are very clear on that 1 year prior to application residence must be continuous in term of stamps (for non eu) and physically residence so yea her application was ineligible in 2017.

regarding if this applies to eu fam holider it definitely is

in fact in my experience eu fam holder maybe wait longer then then other applicant I applied in sept 2016 still waiting, one of my friend applied in mar 2016 still waiting and I saw 3 people on this board who applied in 2016 and still waiting also a user name ali here got his citizenship in oct 2017 he applied in oct 2015 we all have eufam stamp in common.
You are right. I got more or less the same reply from citizenship as well. However, if I stayed out of country for a total of 10 weeks, then am I now supposed to deduct this from my residency and apply for citizenship somewhere around March this year, I.e after 10 months from now?

Mal111
Member of Standing
Mood:
India

Post by Mal111 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:38 am

if those 10 weeks are consecutive and within the 12 month prior to your application date then that whole year could be disputed by doj unless you have good explanation such as work related or medical issues
if the 10 weeks are in the course of past new years then no issue
you should ask citizenship office via email are you eligible to apply in that particular year or not.

the idea of deducting the weeks your out side the state is not officially mention by doj so you should send them an email and ask for the correct treatment for these 10 weeks if they ask you to deduct those certain weeks make sure you print their email and attach it to the residency calculator printout the one you will send with your application.

Mal111
Member of Standing
Mood:
India

Post by Mal111 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:48 am

if you travel over 6 weeks within 12 month before application then DOJ see that as continuous residence of 1 year prior to application is broken with that rule they may refuse the application however that doesn't mean traveling at all is prohibited as long as its not over six weeks or it is due to an emergency or work related.

thanks

Alixlboy
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Alixlboy » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:11 pm

Mal111 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:48 am
if you travel over 6 weeks within 12 month before application then DOJ see that as continuous residence of 1 year prior to application is broken with that rule they may refuse the application however that doesn't mean traveling at all is prohibited as long as its not over six weeks or it is due to an emergency or work related.

thanks
I had actually stayed out of the State (on holidays) during the following two dates (both less than 6 weeks).

1. 9 March 2017 – 8 April 2017

2. 11 August 2017 – 20 September 2017

and below is the reply that I have received from them.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dear Ali

Based on the information you have provided the first 4 week absence will
have passed the 12 months in April 2018.

Regards

Citizenship Helpdesk
Team 4
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This means I can only apply on the 9th of April, this year, as 1 year would have passed by then, and they would have problem with the second absence from the state, as this was less than 6 weeks itself.

So another 3 months of wait from me.

Thanks for your help.