ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Got our residence cards today!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Pasha

Got our residence cards today!

Post by Pasha » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:20 pm

I wanted to post a thankyou to the forum and in particular thsths and Directive/2004/38/EC. The advise we received was invaluable and reassuring.

My husband and I received our residence cards today. Our applications took 1 month and 4 days to be processed and following the advise on the forum helped us understand our rights, the process of applying and general information we needed to consider when making an application under EU Law.

About us..

My husband (EEA National)
Myself (non EEA National)

I entered the UK on a visitors visa back in January and was given 1 month to sort out my EEA Family Permit. I was grilled at the airport and was advised that I should leave the UK and reapply for entry to the UK.

As I was in the UK in some other capacity i.e. on a visitors visa, my husband and I applied to the Home Office for our residence cards. Putting together our application took about 2 weeks. Phoning the Home Office for advice was confusing at the best at times as the advice given was not consistent on the ability for us to apply/work/reside due to my visitors visa. In the end we applied and below is an an account of documents we submitted with our application.

I agree that this may be seen as exhaustive and it is not compulsory to include many of the documents as the spouse of an EEA Citizen (this list may be useful to applicants applying as the unmarried partner of an EEA Citizen) however at the time of our applications and due to our circumstances having not applied for the EEAFP, the Home Office advisors did mention that we could include documents that would have normally been submitted with an application for the EEA FP.

In addition to the compulsory documents such as your marriage certificate, passports, birth certs and passport photos..examples of supporting documents you could include with your joint application are;

Household bills - telephone bills or statements, gas bills or statements, electricity bills or statements, water rates bills or statements, council tax bills or statements

Bank and Savings - bank or building society statements/passbooks

Accomodation - mortgage statements or agreement, tenancy agreement

Recreational - membership of sports or social clubs, membership of a religious organisation

Official documents - correspondence from government departments or agencies (eg HM Revenue and Customs, Inland Revenue, Department for Work and Pensions) including evidence that you have declared your relationship to the appropriate government bodies.

Healthcare - correspondence from GP or local health authority (eg: NHS card, correspondence about ante-natal and post-natal treatment, letter confirming dates of visits to the home address by a midwife, letter confirming registration with a dentist, etc - providing these documents show your home address and the date first registered) or details of private health cover.

Other - insurance policies/certificates or other correspondence, loan agreements, AA, RAC or similar membership

In my experience, the lessons that I have learnt are

- Submitting the EEA 1 and EEA 2 applications together may lessen the processing time

- Where applications are being submitted together, send both applications off together to the EEA 1 processing department. I believe that after the 25 Feb the address is now in Liverpool. The reason for this is that chances are that your supporting documents are applicable to both applications.

- Include a pre-paid self addressed envelope for the return for your docuements. You can track most special delivery packages online.

- You can expect the certificate of application within 2-3 weeks of your application being submitted. This dis-encourages you from contacting the Home Office however, if you need your documents back to travel or for ID purposes, contact the Home Office. When you call, have your special delivery reference number handy as they would ask you for this to identify your case file.

- When corresponding with the Home Office, keep a log of all calls and follow it up in writing or by fax. The fax number is available upon request from the main number.

- Being patient is sometimes easier said than done but as applications can take up to 6 months, in this time keep up to date with changes within immigration law that may affect your application.

- Dont be put out if you did not speak to a 'nice' person on the phone on the Home Office helpline. I think it is easy for someone who is removed from your particular situation to see your application as a casefile number and it is easy to forget that your life goes on.

- The telephone advisors, it seems, have access to limited information. Our case was considered by the Liverpool offices and we actually received a call to tell us that our case had been considered and approved. When we had not received back our file in the advised time, we called the Home Office and although we were advised our case had been approved, the information was not available on their system and was down as 'being considered.'

- Know your rights. Read the Directive/2004/38/EC and notices on the BIA website.

When compiling our application, everything was in chronological order making it easy to be read. We did keep in contact with the Home Office, following up each call and fax with a letter.

I hope this information helps, and again, thank you to thsths and Directive/2004/38/EC who advised us on the forum prior to submitting our applications. :P

Pasha

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:42 pm

Wonderful news Pasha!

cutepearl

Post by cutepearl » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:02 pm

Congrats PASHA...

I got a question from anyone here who can please help me...

I am married to a swedish.. i applied EEA2 to croydon office 18th February 08.. i didnt send EEA1 form together with EEA2.. can i send it now or will it make my application delayed if i send it now ... Please help.. becasue we are planning to go to sweden last week of july and we are not sure if we gonna receive our passports back by then...

Will sending EEA1 separate speed up the process ???
Thanks

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:57 pm

Thanks yankiegirl and cutepetal.

Cutepetal, I am not sure that your application will be dealt with quicker by submitting the EEA 1 form in retrospect to yours. What you could do is call the Home Office and ask the status of your application. If you have received your certificate of application, chances are it may be waiting to be considered.

If your EEA spouse is planning to submit the EEA1 form, why not submit it with a complete copy of your EEA 2 application form and supporting documents you send in on the 18 Feb? This may speed up things.

Best of luck.

akarelle
Newly Registered

Post by akarelle » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:34 pm

hi everyone

I have recently applied for an EEA1 and EEA2 for me and my fiance. i am a french citizen and my fiance is Togolese and i work and lived in te UK since August 2000 but my partner has been here on a visiting visa.

however my question is was it right for me to apply for an EEA2 for my partner even though we are not married but leave together?

and also on other post people say it is best to apply to the HO Liverpool but we applied together but sent it to HO croydon.

i wil be grateful if anyone can advise me . thanks

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:22 pm

As an unmarried partner, you must show atleast 2 years of cohabitation akin to marriage such as joint bills. As your fiance is on a visitors visa was she here prior on some other type of visa and you lived together then?

akarelle
Newly Registered

Post by akarelle » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:48 am

no he was not, bt his visa has expired aba a mth ago