ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child Benefit for non-EEU

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Murka
Newly Registered

Child Benefit for non-EEU

Post by Murka » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:00 pm

Hi all! I am hoping to get an advice regarding Child Benefit.

I am non-EEU married to EEU national, we both have resident permits till 2010. My husband is working(part time).

I have been getting Child Benefit for two children since 2005, but recently heard that it can affect my future PR application.
I phoned varios solisitors and HO line but got contradicted advice.
Now I am really confused and don't know that to do.
Please advice regarding my situation. Thank you in advance.

olisun
Diamond Member

Re: Child Benefit for non-EEU

Post by olisun » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:23 pm

Murka wrote:Hi all! I am hoping to get an advice regarding Child Benefit.

I am non-EEU married to EEU national, we both have resident permits till 2010. My husband is working(part time).

I have been getting Child Benefit for two children since 2005, but recently heard that it can affect my future PR application.
I phoned varios solisitors and HO line but got contradicted advice.
Now I am really confused and don't know that to do.
Please advice regarding my situation. Thank you in advance.
Since you are a non-EEU national you CANNOT claim child benefit but you husband can.

Murka
Newly Registered

Post by Murka » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:15 pm

Hi Olisun, thank you for your reply.
I got Child Benefit claim pack after birth and applyed myself simply becoase i didn't know that I can not claim. HMRC reqested my passport (I have residense permit in it but it does not say "no resurse to public funds") and then returned it with letter staiting that I am entitled to Child Benefit.
Also I have two letters from HO regarding condition of my stay and there is nothing regarding public funds.
On HO website they have this document http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... cfunds.pdf wich made me belive in the first place that it is OK for me to claim CH.

Please correct me if I am wrong. Thank you.

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:51 pm

I've actually been wondering the same thing. If you have a UK spousal visa, it clearly states "no recourse to public funds" but there is no such statements on family permits and residence cards.

In addition to the link the OP posted, there's also this.
If successful, granted five year residence card, during which time no restriction on access to public funds. Non EEA spouse/civil partner can take employment.
http://www.lawcentreni.org/EoR/immigrat ... ership.htm

So it would seem that the Child Benefit would be ok in her name?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:25 pm

Murka, what is your nationality? Also, if prior to coming to the UK you worked in another country, not that of your nationality, please give details.
John

Murka
Newly Registered

Post by Murka » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:41 pm

Yankeegirl and John, thank you for reply!
John, answers to your questions:
I am ukranian and no, I did not work in another country.

Murka
Newly Registered

Post by Murka » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:18 pm

Please advise. Thank you.

thsths
United Kingdom

Post by thsths » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:00 pm

Murka wrote:I got Child Benefit claim pack after birth and applyed myself simply becoase i didn't know that I can not claim. HMRC reqested my passport (I have residense permit in it but it does not say "no resurse to public funds") and then returned it with letter staiting that I am entitled to Child Benefit.
It seems like all the information was available, so if anybody made a mistake, it was the HMRC. I don't think this can be hold against you.
On HO website they have this document http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... cfunds.pdf wich made me belive in the first place that it is OK for me to claim CH.
I tend to agree. As far as I remember, benefits are only excluded for the first 3 months, and after that an EU citizen can receive benefits. I think the same applies to the spouse.

Tom

Murka
Newly Registered

Post by Murka » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:19 pm

Thank you Tom!
I have been realy worried since one solisitor mentioned that geting CB was "not good" in my situation. I am relived you think I did not make a mistake. Thank's again.