ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying: AUS Girlfriend's Unmarried visa - dodgy evidence?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Leporello
Newly Registered

Applying: AUS Girlfriend's Unmarried visa - dodgy evidence?

Post by Leporello » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:05 pm

Hello - I've been searching for similar posts, but nothing seems to quite answer my query.

I am a student (2nd year, Oxford Uni), met my girlfriend (20, Australian) during my Gap year - we both worked in schools in Dorset.

We 'got together' mid Feb 06, and have been together ever since (over two years). At the time, she was staying in a prep school where she worked, and me a house, however, we stayed together every night (she effectively lived with me). (this is of course, tricky to prove with documents)

From Oct 06 -dec 06 I started first term at Universtiy, however she stayed with me two nights a week, and we also had longer times together in holidays.

At the end of her Gap year, she went back to Aus (late Dec until early April - 3.5 months) when she returned on a Working holiday visa. Ever since, we have both been officialy resident at my parents house, (bank accounts, work addresses), but living in Oxford. I work at uni, she works in town, staying in my room (fine by us and everyone else, but against college rules). She is soon to reach the end of her legal working time in UK (though we think they are unlikely to find her out...).

But, we do not wish to fool the system in this way for long... what are visa options:
WP (not 'skilled, no degree)
Student (to much money for a course)
Fiancee (not enough time for engagement (6 months??!!)
Married (just not a great thought for the sake of a visa + too young)
??

Therefore unmarried?? Clearly we are a genuine couple, have been living together for over two years, uttery comitted to each other (I can't see us breaking up), but the evidence does not seem great ( though many people could vouch for us: (headmasters, CBE folk, important people (of sorts)). Is there a chance for us?

We had 3.5 months apart - it was crap, I'd rather not do that again, but she cannot work illegaly for long (and there is no point her sitting about doing nothing). In what way is a AUS girl going to rob the UK of benefits? Any advice most appreciated, as we are both quite stressed and upset by the though of being dragged appart.

Many thanks,

Me.

Nowty

Post by Nowty » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:50 pm

Your situation does not sound too hopeful for an UPV. You obviously cannot supply the required 20 documents over the 2 year time period and they are quite strict on this visa.

republique
BANNED

Re: Applying: AUS Girlfriend's Unmarried visa - dodgy eviden

Post by republique » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:09 pm

newc2745 wrote:Hello - I've been searching for similar posts, but nothing seems to quite answer my query.

I am a student (2nd year, Oxford Uni), met my girlfriend (20, Australian) during my Gap year - we both worked in schools in Dorset.

We 'got together' mid Feb 06, and have been together ever since (over two years). At the time, she was staying in a prep school where she worked, and me a house, however, we stayed together every night (she effectively lived with me). (this is of course, tricky to prove with documents)

From Oct 06 -dec 06 I started first term at Universtiy, however she stayed with me two nights a week, and we also had longer times together in holidays.

At the end of her Gap year, she went back to Aus (late Dec until early April - 3.5 months) when she returned on a Working holiday visa. Ever since, we have both been officialy resident at my parents house, (bank accounts, work addresses), but living in Oxford. I work at uni, she works in town, staying in my room (fine by us and everyone else, but against college rules). She is soon to reach the end of her legal working time in UK (though we think they are unlikely to find her out...).

But, we do not wish to fool the system in this way for long... what are visa options:
WP (not 'skilled, no degree)
Student (to much money for a course)
Fiancee (not enough time for engagement (6 months??!!)
Married (just not a great thought for the sake of a visa + too young)
??

Therefore unmarried?? Clearly we are a genuine couple, have been living together for over two years, uttery comitted to each other (I can't see us breaking up), but the evidence does not seem great ( though many people could vouch for us: (headmasters, CBE folk, important people (of sorts)). Is there a chance for us?

We had 3.5 months apart - it was crap, I'd rather not do that again, but she cannot work illegaly for long (and there is no point her sitting about doing nothing). In what way is a AUS girl going to rob the UK of benefits? Any advice most appreciated, as we are both quite stressed and upset by the though of being dragged appart.

Many thanks,

Me.
Not sure why marriage is out. You have been in a relatioship for 2 years. You didn't like it when she was away for 3 months. You are not doing it for the visa, you would be doing it for yourselves. As for being too young, sometimes it is not about age, it is about biting the bullet.

kutitata
Newly Registered

Post by kutitata » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:56 pm

Hi, newbie here, whats the 20 documents? I am confused...

Shane2008
Newly Registered

Post by Shane2008 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:27 pm

20 documents to prove you live at the same address. I think its 10 docs each per years

My girlfriend, French, and myself Australian went through the same thing, but in Australia and for an EEA family permit. We have now just applied for the Residence Card.

Nowty

Post by Nowty » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:12 pm

Its 20 official docs from at least 5 different sources equally spread over the 2 years in joint names. If not all in joint names (and its pretty much impossible to get them all like this !) then you need 20 each in single names to the same address. So if you have say only 5 in joint names, you will need another 15 each in single names. You cannot find this exact info anywhere and you might get away with less but its based upon posts from Victoria so I take it as gospel.

Plus you should have some joint commitemnts, like joint bank account, joint insurance policies, life insurance with the beneficery as your partner etc. Without this the ECO will question whether your co-habiting is genuinely akin to marriage.

kutitata
Newly Registered

Post by kutitata » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:05 pm

guys, for the accommodation requirements...

I am currently renting a room, a double room have obtained housemates and landlords permission ot bring my gf/wife over to stay with me in that same room, will it be a problem, because the rules state:-

"you have suitable accommodation, which is owned or lived in only by you and your household, and where you and your dependants can live without any help from public funds"

ONLY by YOU and YOUR HOUSEHOLD, what if i live with housemates?