ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

450,000 Asylum Seekers may get a second chance

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

breeze123
Newly Registered

Post by breeze123 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:38 pm

no, he is receiving a local authority sub. got human rights application since 2004 and he is signing on every month
Last edited by breeze123 on Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimquk
United Kingdom

Post by jimquk » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:41 pm

Breeze wrote:
I heard that a 90% success rate for legacy cases in Glasgow.
here is the link
http://freemovement.wordpress.com/category/legacy/

tell me what do you think about that? true?
Apparently, local authorities have been told to expect 70% of cases currently being looked at to recieve positives; in a surprising piece of common sense, former NASS accommodation is being extended for up to six months as the burden on LA housing could have been unbearable, not to mention politically explosive.

Of course, the current cases are families, who were always more likely to get positives, as they are in practice more difficult to remove. It remains to be seen if the BIA will be as sympathetic to singles; on the other hand, many of the singles have been in the country for five to ten years, whereas the longer standing families were mostly already dealt with under the Family ILR exercise. Does anyone know of any families refused under that exercise, but granted now?

And, no, I have not heard of any singles getting the questionnaire. I have heard stories of people being given notification of ILR on reporting to sign, without having anything pending on their cases, but have been unable to confirm, and rather suspect they are just another misinformed myth.
The Refused are coming day-by-day nearer to freedom.

avjones
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by avjones » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:14 pm

I've not heard of any singles getting the legacy Q yet either, my experience is the same as Jim's.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

Paulsmith

Post by Paulsmith » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:34 pm

I think for families were a dependant or the main applicant has been convicted for a crime then he would disqualify under the case resolution programme and would be removed from the UK. Families who have been from safe countries could also be removed.

It's a merit test and I hope that every family meets the criteria.

Two weeks ago I read an article about immigration and it said the the clearance of the Legacy backlog can be perceived as a full amnesty and another articles said thats its a back door amnesty. I cant find the link now.

I don't think it would be a question of getting travel documents as every applicant who receives a questionnaire is supposed to send 4 photographs with the questionnaire back to the BIA. They can be used to obtain travel documents or to grant leave to remain.

I think the most probable question would be current policy on removing families to certain countries. If they can't remove them then they probably will grant them leave.

I have a friend who received a questionnaire about 3 months ago but still doesn't have any decision from the BIA. It might be possible that they will keep the photographs until the time has come to remove the person from the UK. Lets see what happens until march 2008.

There has been a JR regarding Legacy cases in Scotland. Does anybody know something about it?

kg1983

Post by kg1983 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:22 am

Paulsmith wrote:
Two weeks ago I read an article about immigration and it said the the clearance of the Legacy backlog can be perceived as a full amnesty and another articles said thats its a back door amnesty. I cant find the link now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... lum114.xml

breeze123
Newly Registered

Post by breeze123 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:22 pm

I think I found the answer to my question about date which Home office will start reviewing singles cases
The BIA says that questionnaires will go out in
significant numbers from 18 December 2007
when all the necessary staff and procedures are
in place. Until then, questionnaires are being sent
to the first priorities: cases where there is a risk of
people causing harm; cases thought to be easily
removable; cases thought easy to grant; cases
where no initial decision has been made and
active review cases including unaccompanied
children.

Here is the link:
http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/OneSto ... a227c04b1c

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:38 pm

breeze123 wrote:I think I found the answer to my question about date which Home office will start reviewing singles cases
The BIA says that questionnaires will go out in
significant numbers from 18 December 2007
when all the necessary staff and procedures are
in place. Until then, questionnaires are being sent
to the first priorities: cases where there is a risk of
people causing harm; cases thought to be easily
removable; cases thought easy to grant; cases
where no initial decision has been made and
active review cases including unaccompanied
children.

Here is the link:
http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/OneSto ... a227c04b1c
That sounds like everyone.
So who aren't they sending it out to in the first round?

Paulsmith

Post by Paulsmith » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:35 pm

I found that in the internet.

http://www.asylum-support-tribunal.gov. ... .16211.doc

A single man under section 4 support received a questionnaire.

Liberal Immigrant

Post by Liberal Immigrant » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:23 pm

breeze123 wrote:I think that what is going to happen
jimuk wrote
On the analogy of the Family ILR exercise, what will most likely happen is that when the Home Office finish working through whatever cases they can, they will invite representations from anyone else that feels they might qualify.
I heard that a 90% success rate for legacy cases in Glasgow.
here is the link
http://freemovement.wordpress.com/category/legacy/

tell me what do you think about that? true?
i think you are right. my uncle is the head of a charity which helps asylum seekers and he told me today that pretty much every day, atleast 1 or 2 families (that he knows of) are granted ILR and that he hasnt come across news of any removals lately.

jimquk
United Kingdom

Post by jimquk » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:31 pm

I think 90% positive outcomes is unrealistic, and does not accord with the figures offered by the Home Office so far. Moreover, removals are still taking place, though seemingly in the same disorganised way as ever.

breeze123
Newly Registered

Post by breeze123 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:41 pm

I think home office removed some legacy cases (14000) in the past 16 months but not families. It is combination of convicted and single adults who are easy to remove.
I know a few single adults people who recently received questionnaires and been long in UK.
the Home office target from now on is 10000 cases to be concluded
Can they do it?
what do you think jim?

Paulsmith

Post by Paulsmith » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:00 am

"A very well sourced rumour has it that 95% of the outstanding 450,000 asylum ‘legacy’ cases so far resolved have resulted in grants of status."

http://freemovement.wordpress.com/2007/ ... g-through/

jimquk
United Kingdom

Post by jimquk » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:45 pm

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/homeaffa ... 22,00.html

From this it appears that roughly a third of cases considered were found to be duplicates, dead or departed, a third were given positives, and a third were removed - or more likely marked down for removal, since the removal figures hardly support the claim that they have actually been removed from the country.

It is impossible to know if future cases will break down in the same way - on the one hand, the family cases that make up the bulk of cases so far considered may be more likely to get positives, on the other most families that might have been eligible had already been considered under the Family ILR exercise.

I'm inclined to think that the Home Office may really be substantially on track as they claim to resolve the bulk of legacy cases by 2011, and personally I would reckon that the breakdown of positives, negatives and duplicates may be similar. Whether negative decision will really lead to prompt removal remains the big doubt.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:51 am

Apparently this guy is one of those overlooked asylum cases...still, I cant belive the cheek of this guy!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1770
Asylum seeker on fake passport worked for immigration service for a year

An asylum seeker with a false passport worked for almost a year processing immigration appeals, it emerged yesterday.

Eugene Tawanda Madzima landed the job at the Asylum and Immigration Tribunal Service after supposedly undergoing background checks.

Officials were tricked by a faked letter from the Home Office saying the 24-yearold had permission to stay in the UK. Madzima was so well regarded at work he even gave a staff training presentation at the AITS centre in Leicester.

He was caught only when he tried to use the forged passport to open an HSBC bank account.

As Madzima was jailed for 12 months at Leicester Crown Court for holding forged documents, Judge Simon Hammond said the situation was "staggering" and "beggars belief".

He added: "Why was he able to get a fulltime job with the Appeals and Immigration Tribunal Service, of all people, who are meant to be dealing with people seeking asylum?

"No proper checks were made and yet he must have been on their records. "

He ordered an inquiry into Madzima's claim that he bought the false passport for £1,000 from a London solicitor who dealt with his asylum application in 2002.The court heard that Madzima and his mother came to the UK in 2002, after their home in Zimbabwe was destroyed during political unrest, and made a joint application to stay.

His mother was refused and left the country but there is no record of a decision on Madzima.

His case is understood to be among the 450,000 "legacy" claims which were found forgotten in boxes and are now being sifted through.

Jacqui Callam, defending, said Madzima simply "made up" a National Insurance number when he secured the job. She said he had "worked hard and earned the respect of colleagues ".

He held the administrator's job from January last year until he was fired last month.

Judge Hammond said he was not recommending deportation because of the situation in Zimbabwe. A decision on Madzima's status will be taken later.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:16 am

archigabe wrote:Apparently this guy is one of those overlooked asylum cases...still, I cant belive the cheek of this guy!
Perhaps the Home Office may offer him a job. He reminds me of Frank Abagnale Jr.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:03 am

vinny wrote:
archigabe wrote:Apparently this guy is one of those overlooked asylum cases...still, I cant belive the cheek of this guy!
Perhaps the Home Office may offer him a job. He reminds me of Frank Abagnale Jr.
Oh yeah, that's right! Who knows, you might see him piloting the next flight you are on! :D

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:31 am

I think he's a legend! Pity he got caught.

(Though obviously I would never advocate this sort of thing...)

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:45 am

vinny wrote:
Funny the HO says it has offices across England and Wales but Scotland not included. I thought Immigration policies across the UK are handled by the Central Govt in London so how come Scotland is not covered by the HO then?
Praise The Lord!!!!

Petana

Post by Petana » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:39 pm

Hi, does anyone know anything new with regards to the legacy cases?
Many thanks, Petra

breeze123
Newly Registered

Post by breeze123 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:19 pm

Hi Petra,
BIA dedicated caseowners to all legacy cases last December 2007.Those who have committed serious criminal offences will be processed for deportation. In all other cases,individuals should be contacted and asked to complete a questionnaire and to state all current reasons for wishing to stay in the UK.
The process is phased and at present, questionnaires are being sent to families and some priority single cases. This phase will come to an end in March 2008 when cases from single people will be considered.
They are speeding the process and I know single people who have received questionnaires.
The BIA updated their website and more information can be found and here the link.
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/asylum ... ldercases/
We have established about 60 teams to deal specifically with the older, unresolved paper and electronic case records. We call these the case resolution teams. These teams do not take on new applications, or new evidence for existing applications dealt with by asylum teams in your region (s
can I ask you what is your nationality and how long have you been in the country?
I hope you find these information useful.
Goodluck

Petana

Post by Petana » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:41 pm

Hi Breeze, many thanks for your response. I am not asking for myself but my husband. I am from the Czech Republic and he is Iraqi Kurd. If you look down at page one on this UK_Banned_Member. forum , you will see post called "Humanitarian Protection or ILR". .. that's where I described our situation. If you can comment, I would be grateful.
thanks Petra

skillipedia
Newly Registered

Post by skillipedia » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:03 am

Nobody will have the ball to raise this issue of regularisation. There were few voices such as the Church and strangersintocitizens but the loud voice of right wingers muted all of them forever

One percent of UK population will keep on living in the shadow; some of them will get out ; some of them will wait for 14 year , but till then they will become unemployable ; some will lose their sanity.

Paulsmith

Post by Paulsmith » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:26 pm

Just an update on legacy cases.

UK'S ASYLUM SYSTEM COMBINES INCOMPETENCE AND INHUMANITY
12.00.00am GMT Thu 27th Mar 2008

Following today's Independent Asylum Commission report which attacks the UK's asylum system as 'shameful', Jenny Willott, Shadow Justice Spokesperson and MP for Cardiff Central, released figures showing that the Casework Resolution Directorate, the Government's flagship policy for clearing backlogged asylum cases, won't have met its target until December 2016 - more than five years overdue.

Commenting, Jenny said:

"This Government has successfully combined incompetence and inhumanity to create one of Europe's most inefficient and cruel asylum systems.

"The Government setup the Casework Resolution Directorate promising to clear its backlog of over 450,000 old asylum claims by 2011. But it at its current rate, it won't have achieved this until December 2016 - more than 5 years overdue.

"What's more, there is a hopeless level of confusion over the system with many cases where claimants are not aware their case has been considered until the removal men turn up at their door.

"Asylum seekers either find themselves treated with contempt or they are lost in a sea of government bureaucracy."

http://jennywillott.org.uk/news/000198/ ... anity.html

However, it might change and they might meet the target.

EM(BIA Official) stated that by February 2008 all teams should be fully operational
and by June 2008 10,000 cases a month should be concluded. By July
2011, all cases will be resolved.

Petana

Post by Petana » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:04 pm

Thanks Paul. 2016 :evil: that's shocking. I am waiting for my husband's case to be replied on. I can't believe this mess !
Petra

salimnina
BANNED

Post by salimnina » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:05 am

Paulsmith wrote:Just an update on legacy cases.

UK'S ASYLUM SYSTEM COMBINES INCOMPETENCE AND INHUMANITY
12.00.00am GMT Thu 27th Mar 2008

Following today's Independent Asylum Commission report which attacks the UK's asylum system as 'shameful', Jenny Willott, Shadow Justice Spokesperson and MP for Cardiff Central, released figures showing that the Casework Resolution Directorate, the Government's flagship policy for clearing backlogged asylum cases, won't have met its target until December 2016 - more than five years overdue.

Commenting, Jenny said:

"This Government has successfully combined incompetence and inhumanity to create one of Europe's most inefficient and cruel asylum systems.

"The Government setup the Casework Resolution Directorate promising to clear its backlog of over 450,000 old asylum claims by 2011. But it at its current rate, it won't have achieved this until December 2016 - more than 5 years overdue.

"What's more, there is a hopeless level of confusion over the system with many cases where claimants are not aware their case has been considered until the removal men turn up at their door.

"Asylum seekers either find themselves treated with contempt or they are lost in a sea of government bureaucracy."

http://jennywillott.org.uk/news/000198/ ... anity.html

However, it might change and they might meet the target.

EM(BIA Official) stated that by February 2008 all teams should be fully operational
and by June 2008 10,000 cases a month should be concluded. By July
2011, all cases will be resolved.
l hope lts a good thing for us a quc yes for all