ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is Jersey part of UK?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hm
Newly Registered

Is Jersey part of UK?

Post by hm » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:42 pm

Hi friends,

Could anyone tell me, Person with HSMP visa can officially work in Jersey.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:51 pm

Why don't you search these fora, the answer is there.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

hm
Newly Registered

Post by hm » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:49 pm

I searched here and other way. HSMP is not valid to work in jersey. but jersey stay is counted for application of naturalisation. So my confusion is if I take job in jersey for long term, I will be eligible for my HSMP extension on that basis? I couldnt find any job in UK for my skill and I had been offer good job in jersey but require long term commitment. so my worry is whats consequence of jersey stay on HSMP extension?

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:59 pm

Jersey (& Guernsey) are 'independent' governments. Yes, closely affiliated with the UK, but you need separate permission to work & reside in these communities.

It is only fair, in the sense that these islands a extremely small and they need to very carefully manage who comes there to live & work. If they don't, their economies could be seriously destabilized.

the Admin
Contact Information:
• Mobile: +44 (0)77996 22200
• Tel: +44(0)344 991 9222
• Email: sanwar.ali@workpermit.com

Follow Us On:
• LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sanwarali/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/workpermitcom

hm
Newly Registered

Post by hm » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:39 am

administrator,
you are right. but when my work permit is assured, my concern is HSMP extension. My company will proceed my visa (work permit) but what about my extension? will earning and UK experience count while extension?

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:11 am

hm wrote:administrator,
you are right. but when my work permit is assured, my concern is HSMP extension. My company will proceed my visa (work permit) but what about my extension? will earning and UK experience count while extension?
You agree to make UK your permanent home and then after your get your HSMP approval and EC, you decide to go and work in another "country"...

hm
Newly Registered

Post by hm » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:17 am

jersey is another country? confusion for me.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:17 pm

hm wrote:jersey is another country? confusion for me.
Jersey is a crown dependency. It is not part of the United Kingdom or the European Union. However, the situation is not entirely straightforward, and people from Jersey are British citizens (though do not automatically benefit from European rights of free movement and so on), and Jersey is part of the Common Travel Area that includes the UK and Ireland.

I don't specifically know the situation with HSMP visas and the like, but Jersey does operate its own immigration arrangements (notwithstanding that it is in the Common Travel Area), so such visas may well not be valid. Someone here might well know and be prepared to help; I hope so.

katherinewilliam
Newly Registered

Jersey?

Post by katherinewilliam » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:51 am

Hi!

I thing Jersey in part of European Union, what you want in Jersey?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:52 am

No, none of the Channel Islands are in the EU.
John

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Jersey?

Post by Wanderer » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:38 pm

katherinewilliam wrote:Hi!

I thing Jersey in part of European Union, what you want in Jersey?
Another single-poster sneaky advertiser here, why they think a UK immgration forum is interested in LA Equity shows how stupid these people are.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:37 pm

Wanderer, thanks for that. In fact this person has a split personality, and has joined the Board four times! But the clue is that the same IP address used, so guess what, that IP address now banned!
John

hm
Newly Registered

Post by hm » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:36 pm

I checked with home office about HSMP extension. They said at time of extension, to qualify points under previous income, one should earn enough income equal to required UK pound mentioned in band. like its not necessary where it is earned, it should be equvivalent to required UK income!! no matter if u work in jersey or anywhere!!! :o :?

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:21 am

I guess, the big point of concern here is not simply to extend HSMP (Tier 1) but not to lose continuity for ILR purposes... that would need to be addressed as well.

intgral

Post by intgral » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:12 pm

HSMP does not qualify in Jersey.

Continuous residency in Jersey qualifies for permanent residency. More here:

http://www.gov.je/HomeAffairs/CusAndImm ... k+Permits/