ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Got approved for citizenship- ceremony next week. However, I haven't received a BRP, and can't return one?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ugeeboogie
Newly Registered
Latvia

Got approved for citizenship- ceremony next week. However, I haven't received a BRP, and can't return one?

Post by ugeeboogie » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:02 pm

Hello!

I just received my letter of approval for citizenship yesterday, and have already booked my ceremony to be on the 7th of Feb (four days from now).

The letter states that "If you have a BRP card" you must cut it up and return it after getting the citizenship certificate, otherwise you may be fined up to £1000.

Problem is, even though I did my biometric enrolment at the post office almost two months ago, I never did receive a BRP card. Is every application supposed to get one? Or is it more of a strict rule for non-EU immigrants? Does it normally arrive before citizenship approval, or should I wait a bit longer?

All I have is my old-style flimsy blue paper PR document. Nothing with my biometrics on it.

Should I call up the Home Office and ask?

Thank you

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Got approved for citizenship- ceremony next week. However, I haven't received a BRP, and can't return one?

Post by Casa » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:12 pm

A BRP isn't issued for BC. As an EEA national you won't have a BRP, so won't be required to return one. :idea:

No point in calling the HO 'help line'. This is staffed by an outside agency and if you call them 10 times, you're likely to get 10 different answers. :!:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

sgurr_nan_gillean
Newly Registered
Mood:
Poland

Re: Got approved for citizenship- ceremony next week. However, I haven't received a BRP, and can't return one?

Post by sgurr_nan_gillean » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:15 pm

ugeeboogie wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:02 pm
Hello!

I just received my letter of approval for citizenship yesterday, and have already booked my ceremony to be on the 7th of Feb (four days from now).

The letter states that "If you have a BRP card" you must cut it up and return it after getting the citizenship certificate, otherwise you may be fined up to £1000.

Problem is, even though I did my biometric enrolment at the post office almost two months ago, I never did receive a BRP card. Is every application supposed to get one? Or is it more of a strict rule for non-EU immigrants? Does it normally arrive before citizenship approval, or should I wait a bit longer?

All I have is my old-style flimsy blue paper PR document. Nothing with my biometrics on it.

Should I call up the Home Office and ask?

Thank you
BRP is only for non-EU residents if they are applying to stay in the UK for more than 6 months. You didn't need one, so no need to return one either.

ugeeboogie
Newly Registered
Latvia

Post by ugeeboogie » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:19 pm

Casa wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:12 pm
A BRP isn't issued for BC. As an EEA national you won't have a BRP, so won't be required to return one. :idea:

No point in calling the HO 'help line'. This is staffed by an outside agency and if you call them 10 times, you're likely to get 10 different answers. :!:
Thank you! Sounds almost exactly like trying to call up Student Finance with questions.
sgurr_nan_gillean wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:15 pm

BRP is only for non-EU residents if they are applying to stay in the UK for more than 6 months. You didn't need one, so no need to return one either.
Thanks a lot, I wish the HO wording was as clear as you are.

sgurr_nan_gillean
Newly Registered
Mood:
Poland

Post by sgurr_nan_gillean » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:23 pm

ugeeboogie wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:19 pm
Casa wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:12 pm

Thank you! Sounds almost exactly like trying to call up Student Finance with questions.
sgurr_nan_gillean wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:15 pm

Thanks a lot, I wish the HO wording was as clear as you are.
I agree. They should appreciate the process being quite overwhelming for people emotionally. It's only normal you want to make sure you supplied all docs necessary. But seems like you're all done, so congratulations :)