ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR/PR application sponsor

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mzotti
Newly Registered

ILR/PR application sponsor

Post by mzotti » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:15 pm

Greetings.

Does the ILR or PR application require the same named sponsor during the initial residency application (EEA family member)?

Example: I am an Italian national, 5 years ago I obtained a family member of a EEA national residency card for my daughter (she was 10 yrs old and I haven't register her as an Italian national yet, she has a Brazilian passport). I was her sponsor for this application.

Now it is time for her PR application, She continues to live with us. I have applied for a PR card for myself in 2016 (which was issued to me) but since then I haven't been working much. I am now married to a British national who is a Company Director and our main source of income. Can I submit my daughter application for Permanent Residency using my husband as a sponsor?

Facts to consider: We got married overseas before he became a British citizen and the marriage isn't registered/legalised in the UK yet. If it even needs to be, I don't know. We have the original certificate along with an English translation, that's all.

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Re: ILR/PR application sponsor

Post by Richard W » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:12 pm

Your daughter may have different sponsors for different parts of her 5 years residing in accordance with the EEA regulations. However:

1) If your husband does not have the nationality of an EEA country, he cannot sponsor her under the EEA regulations unless the Surinder Singh provisions apply.
2) Once you became a permanent resident, it no longer mattered whether you worked.

I therefore believe that the simplest approach is to sponsor her yourself in your two capacities:
(a) As a 'qualified person' (I presume as a worker) up to the time you qualified for permanent residence.
(b) As a permanent resident thereafter.

English law has no mechanism for registering overseas marriages, and I expect that this is also true for the laws of Scotland and of Northern Ireland. What England has is a scheme for safeguarding foreign marriage certificates. The scheme at best says that they were not obviously invalid.

mzotti
Newly Registered

Post by mzotti » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:24 pm

Thanks Richard, this information will help us a lot!

Cheers

mzotti
Newly Registered

Post by mzotti » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:33 pm

Richard W wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:12 pm
Thank Richard, Just a last question on the above. In order to sponsor her myself for the period after I became permanent resident, it implies that I need to be working as a qualified person regardless of having Permanent residence, is that correct?

I just got little confused with: "Once you became a permanent resident, it no longer mattered whether you worked."

Thanks

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:37 pm

mzotti wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:33 pm
Richard W wrote:
Thank Richard, Just a last question on the above. In order to sponsor her myself for the period after I became permanent resident, it implies that I need to be working as a qualified person regardless of having Permanent residence, is that correct?
No. Once you are a permanent resident, you do not need to be a 'qualified person'.

mzotti
Newly Registered

Post by mzotti » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:53 pm

Richard W wrote:
No. Once you are a permanent resident, you do not need to be a 'qualified person'.
That's wonderful news! I was about to give up on this and apply for her Italian citizenship instead.

I will just submit her PR application right away then. As part of the application I will simply submit evidences that I was working up to the time I qualified for permanent residence which is pretty much the same evidences I used to apply for my own PR.

It is loads of paperwork though, never thought I would have to use them again. And then, for the period after I became Permanent Resident, I can simply say that I haven't been working but staying at home looking after the kids and that shouldn't matter because I was issued with a Permanent Residence card in 2015 (If I understood you correctly).

mzotti
Newly Registered

Permanent Residence card, Grace Period?

Post by mzotti » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:11 pm

Good morning,

It is time for me to apply for a Permanent Residence card for my 15 years old daughter (I am the sponsor, an Italian national and also a Permanent Residence card holder since 2015).

She has been living with me for about 5 years now and was issued with a residence card since her arrival in the UK, I have never applied for her Italian citizenship, yet.

The questions I have:
  1. Is there any grace period for the Permanent Residence card application? The reason of that is because it came as a total surprise the fact that her brazilian passport (which contains the residence visa) has been expired and her father lives in New Zealand. In order to renew her passport, a certified authorization document is required from her father side, which will take a couple of weeks to be ready, and only then renew her passport. Her residence card expires on the 24th of February 2018 (just a couple of weeks from now).
  2. Is a valid passport strictly required for her Permanent residence application at all? She is only 15 years old and as far as I am aware the residence card now comes as a biometric card format and no longer a stamp on the passport.
Thanks for your time and dedication on answering my questions.

Marly

mzotti
Newly Registered

Re: Permanent Residence card, Grace Period?

Post by mzotti » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:22 pm

And a last question:

If I submit the application without including a valid passport but only the expired one, would the Home Office refuse the application and automatically request my daughter to leave the UK? Even if I include a covering letter explaining the situation?

mzotti
Newly Registered

Post by mzotti » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:42 pm

! Message from: mzotti
Richard W wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:37 pm
mzotti wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:33 pm
Richard W wrote:
Richard, It just came as a surprise the fact that my daughter's passport is expired and the new passport will not be ready before her residence visa expires. Are you aware of any grace period that the Home Office could consider? Or can I just send the application with only the expired passport? Is it correct to say that they wont need a new passport since the residence card will come in the format of a biometric card and no longer as a stamp on the passport?

Thanks

Richard W
- thin ice -
England

Post by Richard W » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:57 am

mzotti wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:42 pm
Richard, It just came as a surprise the fact that my daughter's passport is expired and the new passport will not be ready before her residence visa expires. Are you aware of any grace period that the Home Office could consider? Or can I just send the application with only the expired passport? Is it correct to say that they wont need a new passport since the residence card will come in the format of a biometric card and no longer as a stamp on the passport?
The right of residence does not depend on possession of a valid passport. However, the rights of admission and confirmatory documentation do depend on possession of a valid passport.