ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please Help -Child travelling abroad after application approval but before Citizenship Ceremony

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Silvie6025
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Please Help -Child travelling abroad after application approval but before Citizenship Ceremony

Post by Silvie6025 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:48 pm

Hi All - Could you help me with this problem please.

I received letters from the HO dated 29.01.18, approving my and my 8-year-old son's applications for British Citizenship. We also received a letter from my local Council inviting us to a ceremony of citizenship on 01.03.18. The problem is that we have scheduled a trip to Spain for both of us before the ceremony, departing on 17th and coming back to UK on 24.02.18. This means that we won't have British passports to travel, but we will be doing it using our Italian passports. Anyone knows if that would be allowed? I suppose It'd be fine for myself as I wouldn't be officially British before attending ceremony. But I'm concerned about my 8-year-old son's current status. I understand that as a child he doesn't need to attend the ceremony - does this mean that he's already a British citizen? In that case he can't travel without British passport?!
Anyone has had a similar experience that can feed me back? Thank you

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Please Help -Child travelling abroad after application approval but before Citizenship Ceremony

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:57 pm

You and son are free to travel with your other valid EU passports at any time before or after the ceremony. So no need to worry about ceremony, as long as you don't miss it :)
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Silvie6025
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Please Help -Child travelling abroad after application approval but before Citizenship Ceremony

Post by Silvie6025 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:51 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:57 pm
You and son are free to travel with your other valid EU passports at any time before or after the ceremony. So no need to worry about ceremony, as long as you don't miss it :)
Thanks for your answer. But I understand that once you become a British national, you must leave/enter the UK with your British passport. So my question actually is : Is my 8-year-old child already British after approval but before the citizenship ceremony?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:48 am

No there is no such requirement, you can enter on your Italian passports.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.