ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR to BC debts issue

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gemail
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

ILR to BC debts issue

Post by gemail » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:57 am

Hello dear members
1:I am in situation to decide weather I need to apply for IVA? Is that a good idea?I have some debts to pay which I am paying every month I am on ILR now and will apply for BC after 10 months I don’t have any idea debts will effect my BC application I am so confused anyone can guide me plz.IVA is a good option?

2: when I finished my dissertation I worked 3 months full time because I was not going university that time and same year I got PSW after I got my degree anyone can tell is there any problem when Applying for BC. I have these two questions in my mind and if any problem plz reply thanks

gaffarn
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: ILR to BC debts issue

Post by gaffarn » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:49 am

If you look at the Good Character requirement on the AN form and guidance, its not only if you were in trouble with police and have a criminal record but also if you went into any financial contract with someone and you've defaulted on payment. That is my understanding.

However, on this board you will find cases where someone has CCJ's on their credit file and still got Naturalisation as a British Citizen. What happened in those people's cases, my guess is they were just lucky they were awarded citizenship but caseworker didn't investigate them fully.

So I'm thinking you might get it if your case is the same, but its £1282 at risk, if you have financial debt you are failing to pay can you risk £1282 when you yourself having read the guidance on this application is telling you NO DON'T APPLY NOW until you have this part of your life sorted?

My advice is get your credit file and pay the debts if its new debt, if you defaulted 6 years ago, it will disappear of your credit file and you won't have to pay at all. Then apply for Naturalisation.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:39 am

You haven't mentioned the level of your debt, but the decision-maker may take the view that your BC fee should have first been used to reduce your financial commitments. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:32 am

IVA is one step short of bankruptcy. IVA is also register on the Insolvency Register, which HO check.

I strongly suggest you do a DMP rather than an IVA.

How much is your debt if IVA is the only option you are being given? (p.s the IVA companies WANT you to sign up because they make money).
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

gemail
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by gemail » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:46 pm

Debts around 6000 but I am paying every month most of them but some I was ignoring that was some credit cards mobile contracts and overdraft if deal with the companies paying every month that would be ok for applying BC?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:50 pm

For such a low level debt, an IVA is not the best option.

Suggest contact either Step Change Debt Charity or Christians Against Poverty. Avoid the companies that adverise they can magically 'write off x % of your debt', they charge a fortune and mislead.

They are immensely helpful, will work out your finances and what you can pay per month and set up a Debt Management Plan for you and liaise with your creditors on your behalf.

A DMP won't affect a citizenship application if you are making regular payments.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

gemail
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by gemail » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:22 pm

thank you cr001