ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is adoption possible in EU?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Jshamfi
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Is adoption possible in EU?

Post by Jshamfi » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:25 pm

Hello everyone,
I would like to ask that can an EU old couple or lady adopt or make caretaker to someone with age of 25 years old being on non EU-student visa in Belgium? If yes, then would that student be granted long residence permit? Or what? What kind or scenario it would be?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Is adoption possible in EU?

Post by Wanderer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:53 am

You mean adopt a 25 year old? Not possible, such a person is an adult. Nice try....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

secret.simon

Re: Is adoption possible in EU?

Post by secret.simon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:44 pm

It may be possible in some countries in continental Europe. Ancient Roman law did allow for adult adoption and the civil law in force in continental Europe is descended from Roman law.

This story suggests that German law does allow for adult adoption.

This Yahoo Answer suggests that the expectations for adult adoptions (listed below) are more restrictive compared to child adoptions.

The expectations for adult adoption (in general) are;
- to be legally related to the person you are adopting (filiation)
- for them to be your legal heir
- for a parent-child relationship to already precede the legal one.

As you can see, generally adult adoptions are done for family members who are already related more distantly (step-children, nephews/nieces, etc), but who have a relationship more akin to a parent-child relationship.

Adult adoption of a relative stranger to the family may be more difficult.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.