ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ROI Stamp 1 holder entering UK via CTA

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gilbertball
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

ROI Stamp 1 holder entering UK via CTA

Post by gilbertball » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:47 pm

Hi everyone :)

Searched, called and emailed an unbelievable amount of people/groups resources in order to find this information but cannot seem to find it anywhere. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Japanese national (for UK immigration purposes a non-visa national)- living in Ireland on a one year working holiday visa. In possession of Stamp 1 Residence Permit for ROI.

Enters UK (Dublin - London) but does not go through any passport checks as within Common Travel Area.

What is the maximum length of stay? If coming from any other country would be 6 months. However the information I found here: https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information-- ... ia-Ireland suggests that it could be 3 months. But this is specifically referring to those entering ROI on visitor visa, wanting to obtain a short study visa for the UK but being unable to do so as they do not see a UK immigration officer on their journey into the UK.

Sorry for the specific nature of this post - I am aware this is an usual route but has come about as a result of the way the dominos have fallen.

thank you
gb

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ROI Stamp 1 holder entering UK via CTA

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:58 pm

The person needs to apply from outside the UK for a short term study visa. It is not applied for on arrival in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/study-visit-visa

https://www.gov.uk/study-visit-visa/eligibility
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

gilbertball
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by gilbertball » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:04 pm

Thanks CR001, sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

The person is not looking to study in the UK.

The person currently holds a Stamp 1 residence permit for ROI.

They are visiting the UK for general tourism/visiting friends and family.

What is the maximum length of stay in the UK?

If coming from any other country than Ireland it would have been 6 months. However coming from Ireland and within the CTA - just wondering if that changes?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:12 pm

gilbertball wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:04 pm
Thanks CR001, sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

The person is not looking to study in the UK.

The person currently holds a Stamp 1 residence permit for ROI.

They are visiting the UK for general tourism/visiting friends and family.

What is the maximum length of stay in the UK?

If coming from any other country than Ireland it would have been 6 months. However coming from Ireland and within the CTA - just wondering if that changes?
AIUI only British, Irish, Manx and CI citizens are (legally) allowed to avail themselves of the CTA, so none are deemed foreign in any of those country. A Japanese citizen certainly is.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

gilbertball
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by gilbertball » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:40 pm

Just reading Wikipedia page on 'Visa policy of the United Kingdom' which says: "British Nationals who are not European Union citizens and citizens of 56 countries and territories are visa-exempt for stays in the UK of up to 6 months (or 3 months if they enter from the Republic of Ireland)

Which if true, suggests that the maximum length of stay would be 3 months. But does this apply to someone who is currently living in Ireland with a Stamp 1 Residence Permit or only those entering on a tourist visa?

The Station Agent
United Kingdom

Post by The Station Agent » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:56 am

I think the 'deemed leave' of 3 months in the UK would apply here.