ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA PR and Citizenship - Earliest application dates

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

pellier
Newly Registered

EEA PR and Citizenship - Earliest application dates

Post by pellier » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:32 pm

Hello all,

I have got some questions about EEA PR and citizenship applications..

I am a Non-EEA citizen and have got an EEA Residence card since June 2013 which is expiring on 20th of June 2018. (Residence card of a [unmarried] family member of an EEA national)
  • 1-When is the earliest date I can apply for EEA PR?
I could not find an official document stating the earliest date. Some people say 28 days / 4 weeks in advance, some say a week or so before.
  • 2-When is the earliest date we can apply for British citizenship?
(We have been in durable relationship since 2009. I had tier 4 student visas until EEA residence card 2013. My girlfriend has been in permanent job since 2009 exercising EU treaty rights.)

Thank you in advance!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: EEA PR and Citizenship - Earliest application dates

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:11 am

1. After completion of five years (no advance application).
2. After having held PR document for one year, or immediately after obtaining PR if spouse is British citizen.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

wingpin
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by wingpin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:37 pm

1. I thought it was the 5 year anniversary of your partner exercising their treaty rights in the UK, if you were also present. You shouldn't have to wait until June! The family member card takes some time to be granted, but your clock started before then I'm sure.

2. You do not have to have held the physical PR card for 12 months, it is backdated! After 6 years of being in the UK you can apply for citizenship.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:43 pm

pellier wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:32 pm
(Residence card of a [unmarried] family member of an EEA national)
For unmarried partners, the period starts when the partner has been issued a Residence Card as family member of an EEA citizen. If the partners were married, the rules are different.
pellier wrote:
1-When is the earliest date I can apply for EEA PR?

I could not find an official document stating the earliest date. Some people say 28 days / 4 weeks in advance, some say a week or so before.
There is no 28 days in advance service for any application under the EEA route. You must meet the requirements before or on the date of application.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

pellier
Newly Registered

Post by pellier » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:38 pm

Thanks all for your input, really appreciated it

There are different views as expected.

The statement below quoted from Home office staff guide. It seems that we can apply a month earlier.This is the only place I could find for now. Do you think this is enough to say a month advance application would be fine?

Applying exactly on the expiry date of the visa - 20th of June 2018- seems a bit too strict and make us feel a bit worried.
For example, an extended family member submits an application for a permanent
residence card on 1 April 2017. They provide evidence they were issued a residence
card in May 2012 which is valid until May 2017 on the basis they are the relative of
the spouse of an EEA national. They provide evidence that they remain dependent
on the spouse, and that they continue to meet all other requirements of the
regulations. In these circumstances, you can issue a permanent residence card.
Source:Page 7 >>>https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... s-V5_0.pdf

pellier
Newly Registered

Post by pellier » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:14 pm

Just to bring the question up again as I had no answer yet. Hope someone can help.
pellier wrote:
Hello all,

I am a Non-EEA citizen and have got an EEA Residence card since June 2013 which is expiring on 20th of June 2018. (Residence card of a [unmarried] family member of an EEA national)
(We have been in durable relationship since 2009. I had tier 4 student visas until EEA residence card 2013. My girlfriend has been in permanent job since 2009 exercising EU treaty rights.)

Thank you in advance!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:52 am

1. June 2018 - 5 years from the date of your residence card.

2. Only after holding PR status for a full 12 months.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Sajid29
United Kingdom

Post by Sajid29 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:12 pm

pellier wrote:
Hello all,

Thank you in advance!
HI I HAVE Check your timeline ,did you apply with your gf PR only or agian post her 5 years activities ? i will apply soon as my wife got her PR 2 years ago too .thanks

pellier
Newly Registered

Post by pellier » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:21 pm

Sajid29 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:12 pm
pellier wrote:
Hello all,

Thank you in advance!
HI I HAVE Check your timeline ,did you apply with your gf PR only or agian post her 5 years activities ? i will apply soon as my wife got her PR 2 years ago too .thanks
Hi Sajid29, yes i applied for eea pr on the 29th of may.
I included her PR card and also last fives years activities/documents confirming our relationship as we are unmarried partners. Docs were council tax, joint acc statements and water bills, one of each document for 5 years. Good luck.