ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Previous Earnings: Deposit date vs Check issue date; urgent

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rickname
Newly Registered

Previous Earnings: Deposit date vs Check issue date; urgent

Post by rickname » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:59 am

Hi all!

On previous earnings in my HSMP application, I am claiming all of 2007 (Jan - Dec) as my 12 months. I am an independent contractor and I had a check written to me on 11/2006 that was not deposited until 01/2007....does that still count towards my earnings?

Logically I would imagine that it's the deposit day that counts as I don't pay taxes on it until it is credited to my bank account (which makes it part of my 2007 income tax return as well), but I just wanted to double check to make sure.

Also, Im a bit late in sending my application out. Do you know how strict the Home Office is on this? Like, as of today april 10, will I only be able to claim January 10th, 2007 - January 10th, 2008 (15 months ago). Do they base that date off the postmarked date?

thanks in advance!
rick

rickname
Newly Registered

Post by rickname » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:57 pm

sorry to bump, looking to send this app out today if possible! Thanks in advance for any advice!

gordon

Post by gordon » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:48 am

The HSMP team have not been entirely consistent in their interpretation of the 'last 15 months'. I seem to think that the Tier 1 forms stipulate full calendar months, but the HSMP forms do not. Two US-based cases from last year: dearamitg used CY2006 tax returns and submitted a successful application in mid-April of last year (ie later than 15 months); apeterso925 applied successfully using non-calendar months (ie started the 12-month not on the first a month).

Re the tax year: when you bank the Nov-2006 cheque is irrelevant if you receive Form(s) 1099 for your independent contracting; the payer will record and report the payment in 2006. You might be able to count it in 2007 if you use another tax-reporting mechanism, however.

AG

[I sent you a pm a while back, but it seems never to have left my outbox.]

rickname
Newly Registered

Post by rickname » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:35 pm

Thanks for the response gordon, very informative! I think I'm just take a chance and hope they allow me to count January, I will report back and let everyone know.

ps - I just responded to you pm as well. Thanks! :)