ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation - Documents Required

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ajayjain

Naturalisation - Documents Required

Post by ajayjain » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:44 am

Hello,

Pleae help me to arrange all required documents .
Nationality checking service will charge full amount again
if any document missing.

I have arranged these documents

Passport
Driving License
Last 3 month bank statement
Last P60
1 Photo
1 cheque of 665/-
Life in uk test document
AN form

I do not have exact dates where i lived in last 6 yrs.

Do I need any utility bill?
any other document required?

Please reply urgently as i booked my appointment this week.

Thanks

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Re: Naturalisation - Documents Required

Post by thirdwave » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:07 am

ajayjain wrote:Hello,

Pleae help me to arrange all required documents .
Nationality checking service will charge full amount again
if any document missing.

I have arranged these documents

Passport
Driving License
Last 3 month bank statement
Last P60
1 Photo
1 cheque of 665/-
Life in uk test document
AN form

I do not have exact dates where i lived in last 6 yrs.

Do I need any utility bill?
any other document required?

Please reply urgently as i booked my appointment this week.

Thanks
You need the document which you used as ID when you took the life in the UK test.You do not need utility bills, bank statements and suchlike..If there is anything missing they`ll ask you to bring it back later and no,I don`t think they`ll charge you again for it.They don`t demand the money upfront and only take it once they accept the application.

However, you need passports that cover all your stay in the UK and also need to have a rough idea of which addresses you stayed at during the last 5 years and for how long..

ajayjain

documents

Post by ajayjain » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:27 pm

Thanks

but they have already taken the money.
and the council has clearly said if something missing, i need to book the appointment again pay the full amount again.

SYH
BANNED

Re: documents

Post by SYH » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:49 pm

ajayjain wrote:Thanks

but they have already taken the money.
and the council has clearly said if something missing, i need to book the appointment again pay the full amount again.
NO you don't just send the document straight to the BIA and cite your reference number

sonia2
Newly Registered

Post by sonia2 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:39 pm

Ajayjain, please post your experience with NCS, London and also if the documents were sufficient. And, when did you get the referee forms signed? Is it allright to get them signed about 3 months before the actual application date?

ajayjain

docs.

Post by ajayjain » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:03 am

I will write my experience with NCS.

you can get 2 referee any time before you see NCS
1 must be british passport holder , 2nd can be with any nationality

ajayjain

Docs.

Post by ajayjain » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:44 pm

they refused to accept my application with a stupid reason.

they say you should be in uk 5 yrs back on the date you submit your application, does not matter you are here from the last 10 yrs.
i was on holiday in feb. 2003 for 20 days so i have to book another
appointment after 20 days (it means i have to pay again).

:oops:

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Re: Docs.

Post by RobinLondon » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:02 pm

ajayjain wrote:they refused to accept my application with a stupid reason.

they say you should be in uk 5 yrs back on the date you submit your application, does not matter you are here from the last 10 yrs.

It's too bad you didn't catch this rule in the other forum posts on naturalisation. John practically yells himself hoarse reminding people that they have to be in the UK precisely three or five years before (depending on if they're married or not to a UK citizen). And that the HO have absolutely no discretion in this matter. It may be a stupid rule, but them's the rules.

Oh well, now you know. And I'm sure thousands of others have and will continue to make the same mistake. Knowing sooner would have saved you a few bob, though...

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:47 pm

John practically yells himself hoarse reminding people that they have to be in the UK precisely three or five years before (depending on if they're married or not to a UK citizen)
Indeed he does! Repeatedly! Boringly! Why? Because it is so important ..... as Robin says, BIA have no discretion about this particular rule.
ajayjain wrote:they say you should be in uk 5 yrs back on the date you submit your application
Who are they? The NCS service? If so, great! Great they spotted the problem with the application, otherwise you would have lost £575 of the application fee to be charged by BIA.

You need to pay NCS again? Certainly a lot cheaper than having to pay BIA again!
John

vinay shanthi
Member of Standing

Post by vinay shanthi » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:53 pm

thank god i came across this post. was an eye opener the need to be in uk precisely on date of application 3 or 5y ago depending on whether spouse was a citizen or not. i thought i was reasonably informed about these rules. but guess how much ever u keep reading u always find something new. unless u r someone like john or vinny that is, not everyone has a photographic memory.

thanks for the posts john and the affected person ajayjain, probably saved me money by making sure i didnt do the same mistake. will post this link to other forums as well, so that more people have john to thank for for saving them precious wads of cash.

TinTinTin

Post by TinTinTin » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:57 pm

how will they (NCS/BIA) know where you were 5 yrs back on the date you submit your AN application ?

I checked my indian passport to figure out .. whether i could makeout from the in/out stamping ( ie eitehr the stamp made in UK airport or in Indian airport), but i see few stamping missing.

What can i do ? though I'm ~4 months away from my Naturalisation eligibility .. advise pls.

thanks

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:17 pm

how will they (NCS/BIA) know where you were 5 yrs back on the date you submit your AN application ?
Have a look at the form AN! In particular Q2.2. Obviously that will be completed accurately, won't it!

Do appreciate that the records of UKBA do include the landing card you completed every time you entered the UK.
John

babyflo
Newly Registered

Post by babyflo » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:48 pm

hi everyone. i am going to apply for my naturalization anytime soon this year. This topic caught my attention. Like me I am married to British citizen and I am a residence here since Sept 2006. And for the last 4 years I'd been out of the country for just 6 weeks altogehter. It means, in the last 3 years I need to be here in the UK? How will I count that 3 years? Please enligthen me I don't want to pay that huge amount of money just to refuse my application.

thanks to all.

vinay shanthi
Member of Standing

Post by vinay shanthi » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:24 pm

u can get details about dates out and into uk via a subject data access request to bia and u will get all details about u. specify u need all data on u since u applied for visa first time. think it costs 10£. see details by doing a search on bia website

to satisfy time outside UK requirements and also filling in ILR form with exact dates of absences outside UK, if you have lost old passport or don't remember the exact dates etc then you have option of getting subject data access request to BIA see link for procedures http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... iew=Binary this data can then be used as proof of time outside UK. Hope this helps people not remembering exact dates outside UK. Think this costs 10£ although don't know if this has been hiked now.

bhiman
Newly Registered

Re: Docs.

Post by bhiman » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:49 am

ajayjain wrote:they refused to accept my application with a stupid reason.

This is claerly mentioned on the BIA site:
Start of the residential qualifying period

The residential qualifying period will be worked out from the day we receive your application. Most unsuccessful applications fail because the applicant was not present in the United Kingdom at the beginning of the residential qualifying period. You must make sure you meet this requirement before you make your application. For example, if we received your application on 25 November 2005, you would have to show that you were in the United Kingdom on 26 November 2000.

You cannot count time you have spent in the United Kingdom while exempt from immigration control as part of the residential qualifying period. If you are in the United Kingdom as a diplomat or as a member of visiting armed forces or if you are in any place of detention, you would be considered exempt from immigration control. This time would be treated as absence from the United Kingdom.
The link to this page is
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/britis ... uirements/

I am unable to see that this applies to ILR as well.
Cheers
AB

TinTinTin

Post by TinTinTin » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:26 am

vinay shanthi
Member of Standing

Post by vinay shanthi » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:50 am

it does not mention any such thing in the section for settlement (ilr)

if it says that in naturalisation section then that is a differrent matter altogether. but obviously they insist on the same being applicable for settlement applications as well

vinay shanthi
Member of Standing

Post by vinay shanthi » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:51 am

when i checked yesterday before posting, the link i sent worked as well.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:28 am

babyflo wrote:hi everyone. i am going to apply for my naturalization anytime soon this year. This topic caught my attention. Like me I am married to British citizen and I am a residence here since Sept 2006. And for the last 4 years I'd been out of the country for just 6 weeks altogehter. It means, in the last 3 years I need to be here in the UK? How will I count that 3 years? Please enligthen me I don't want to pay that huge amount of money just to refuse my application.
Can you post your dates coming onto and leaving the UK? With that information it will be possible to answer your query accurately.
John

babyflo
Newly Registered

Post by babyflo » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:32 pm

John wrote:
Can you post your dates coming onto and leaving the UK? With that information it will be possible to answer your query accurately.[/quote]

I arrived here in UK on a 2 year spouse visa on 25 Sept 2004. I went back to my country for a 3 weeks holiday on 24 Dec 2005 and back here in UK 15 Jan 2006. Then I got my residence visa on the 15 Sept 2006. And 24 Dec 2007 I went back home again for holiday and back here 16 Jan 2008 all my holiday im with my husband a British national.

I am planning to apply for naturalization this coming June 2008. I hope my numbers are corrent. Thanks for the help John.

TinTinTin

Post by TinTinTin » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:38 am

thirdwave wrote: You need the document which you used as ID when you took the life in the UK test.You do not need utility bills, bank statements and suchlike..If there is anything missing they`ll ask you to bring it back later and no,I don`t think they`ll charge you again for it.They don`t demand the money upfront and only take it once they accept the application.

However, you need passports that cover all your stay in the UK and also need to have a rough idea of which addresses you stayed at during the last 5 years and for how long..
I've got a couple of questions.

a) If i use NCS to certify my passport(s), does that mean I need not send my passport(s) as part of AN application ?

b) If I've to send my passport, how long will BIA take to return my passport(s) ?

c) Does anyone think I should enclose my Degree or any documents related to my education ?
vinay shanthi wrote:u can get details about dates out and into uk via a subject data access request to bia and u will get all details about u. specify u need all data on u since u applied for visa first time. think it costs 10£. see details by doing a search on bia website
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... iew=Binary this data can then be used as proof of time outside UK. Hope this helps people not remembering exact dates outside UK. Think this costs 10£ although don't know if this has been hiked now.
Has anyone applied and received the 'absences list' from BIA ? as suggested by Vinay.

If so, how long does BIA take to provide such a letter via the subject data access ?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:09 am

Nationality checking service wrote:The local authority will also photocopy and certify any valuable documents such as your passport. Your valuable documents will be returned and you will not need to send them to us. You must take the original documents with you to the local authority; photocopies are not acceptable.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:37 pm

Babyflo, it appears to be you could have applied for Naturalisation say at the end of September 2007, just over 3 years after you first arrived.

But application in June 2008? That appears OK, assuming of course you have passed the Life in the UK Citizenship test. Clearly you were physically in the UK throughout June 2005, and also your number of days outside the UK does not cause a problem.
John

babyflo
Newly Registered

Post by babyflo » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:58 pm

John wrote:Babyflo, it appears to be you could have applied for Naturalisation say at the end of September 2007, just over 3 years after you first arrived.

But application in June 2008? That appears OK, assuming of course you have passed the Life in the UK Citizenship test. Clearly you were physically in the UK throughout June 2005, and also your number of days outside the UK does not cause a problem.
thanks for the reply john. I passed the test a month ago. Actually, I have no plans to apply for naturalization yet just that because HO keep on changing the laws so we decided to do it now and while the fee still £645? Is it advantage using NCS? Since I checked the requirements as a spouse of a British national all I need to submit are my passport, my husband passport and the test certificate, is that right? Thanks again for time.

edrelle
Newly Registered

Post by edrelle » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:08 pm

Hi to all. When Im reading this post I became worried if this things applied as well on applying for ILR. I must admit since I arrived here in UK Nov 2003 on a workpermit visa I'd been in and out of the country every year to spend my holiday in my home country. Mostly 5 weeks and last Nov 2005 im on my maternity leave and I spent about 2 months of my maternity leave back home. Since I am going to apply for my ILR this coming Nov 2008 bec its my 5th year here. You think those absences will have an affect on my ILR application soon. I passed the Life in the UK test already and my husband as well.

Any suggestions and help will be much appreciated.