ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

GOING TO UNIVERSITY WHILST CLAIMING ASYLUM

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

SparkleMe1
Newly Registered
Mood:
Zimbabwe

GOING TO UNIVERSITY WHILST CLAIMING ASYLUM

Post by SparkleMe1 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:34 pm

Hi. I would like some advice please. I claimed asylum in 2017 and it was refused. I was completing my Masters degree at the time. This month I had my hearing at the Upper Tribunal and the judge has not sent in his judgement which has prevented me from being able to submit new evidence till he send his judgement. My question is I have recently got the opportunity to study a PhD and the university just sent me an email notifying me they will be contacting the Home Office and UK visas and immigration to find out about my previous immigration history. I applied to the University as an International student. Now I'm worried as I do not know if being an asylum seeker will have me withdrawn from the program. As an asylum seeker in my situation where my claim was initially rejected and I am waiting to do further Submissin can I still go to University? Are asylum seekers allowed to go to University? Please help me. I am very heartbroken at the though of being withdrawn from the program.

krisbol17
Wales

Re: GOING TO UNIVERSITY WHILST CLAIMING ASYLUM

Post by krisbol17 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:15 pm

My understanding is anyone can go to university but as an asylum seeker, you pretty much have to find your own funding from tuition to living so I wouldn't expect any government or university grants/money.

The only way you will be withdrawn is you not being able to have the finances as far as I can tell, and of course if you were detained/removed from the UK this will obviously withdraw you from the programme.

Being heartbroken at the thought of being withdrawn should be the least of your worries!, someone seeking asylum should be heartbroken at the thought of having a negative decision. Concentrate your energy at the latter and seek professional help to prepare your case.

SparkleMe1
Newly Registered
Mood:
Zimbabwe

Post by SparkleMe1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:34 am

Thank you for your reply Krisbol17. My solicitor has informed me the same also in reference to Article 26.

In reference to being heartbroken. We all have our ways of coping. At this point all I can do is wait. I have a solicitor and we have put together my bundle for further submission just waiting for an appointment. At this point there is nothing we can do. We have been calling Home Office at least once a week to get this sorted with no success as yet.

I truthfully don't appreciate your comment on the matter insinuating I don't know what is important. I do know. I don't take it lightly. Having been diagnosed with depression and anxiety which I'm taking medication for due to the mental and emotional toll the whole asylum process has had on me; immersing myself in volunteering and now further education is one of my coping mechanisms.

Let's be kind to one another. Though we may know the basics of the immigration processss we can never know the exact struggles the other person is facing.. Our journeys are different though we are all aiming for a better life and freedom.

krisbol17
Wales

Post by krisbol17 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:39 am

Sorry I didn't mean to sound mean or anything. I just meant not to worry much about studies at this point but focus all your energy on the case as that will open opportunities. Looks like the case is already built then, I didn't pick up on that.

My sincerest apologies. Hope the whole process goes smoothly as I have been there, it shreds your soul into pieces while waiting. I have also been stuck where I couldn't study while waiting for the slow process of decision etc. I will think more in practical terms what I did and how I coped and give useful advice.

Best of luck