ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

6-week rule: How long is too long? Worried...

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

BuffonPost
Newly Registered
Romania

6-week rule: How long is too long? Worried...

Post by BuffonPost » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:40 pm

Hello all,

I am a EU citizen going for the 5 year naturalization process. While I think my application is strong on other accounts, one thing that has been confusing me a lot is the "explain over 6 week absence" question. While for the last 4 years that is no problem as I have continuously been living and working in Ireland, after I started my 1st year here admittedly I had to go back to Canada, where I previously lived, for 5 months in order to clear up a number of things with employer, residency etc, that was necessary.

Form 8 just pretty much says "explain your absence" but doesn't give hints as to what excuse is strong enough or how long is too long. I had a conversation with someone in law who told me it shouldn't be a problem - but now I am reading more and more that people are being rejected left and right over this, and for periods shorter than my absence. So I am very confused about what to write, about whether I need a proper lawyer to help me write the letter, or if my absence was so long that not even a lawyer can help me...

Any thoughts/advice will be very appreciated.

Mal111
Member of Standing
Mood:
India

Re: 6-week rule: How long is too long? Worried...

Post by Mal111 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:25 am

wait another five months and then apply
also in the form tick the absence part and write all the matters u had to deal with and demonstrate how necessary they were.
and then clearly state that you have deducted those days from your period of residence that your claiming toward the 5 years just to be on the safe side

also before sending the application write an email to citizenship office and ask them if you can deduct 5 months from your residence calculation will you be eligible to apply if they said yes print that email out and send with your application

BuffonPost
Newly Registered
Romania

Post by BuffonPost » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:46 pm

But this is another question - isn't the residency calculator only for non-EU? When you go outline, it specifically says that EU citizens are not supposed to take it.

The whole idea is that I don't have to wait another 5 months though, so that would defeat the purpose if I did that.

TMM1305
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by TMM1305 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:46 am

When I applied, I had been out of the country more than 6 weeks during the previous year. I explained it was due to my father having a heart attack and they accepted it. I was only gone an additional week. However, I have heard of them denying more so recently for being out longer, so I would explain your situation fully. Or as others have said, wait a few more months.