ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Program Management Jobs

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Sameer2008
Newly Registered

Program Management Jobs

Post by Sameer2008 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:42 am

I am currently working as a Program Manager in Microsoft in India and am planning to move to UK on HSP. I have about 9 years of overall experience and MBA from a top business school here(IIT, IIM). How easy or difficult will it be to land a similar job there? Aso, what kind of salary can I expect. Any body with simalar experience???

SKUK
Member of Standing

Post by SKUK » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:56 pm

Difficult to predict really. You stand a good chance because you have MS in your CV. IIM is not very well known in Britain.

Do a search on the jobsites and post your CV. See what kind of response you get. But as such, Mgmt jobs are limited in IT sector in UK. They usually prefer local candidates with loads of exp and excellent communicating ability in English.

saayinla

Post by saayinla » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:15 pm

Word of advise, stay in your current role, you might be better off in your current position than coming over to the uk. Dont leave certainty for uncertainty. There are many high profile people here in the Uk still trying to land a good job after leaving there jobs in ther home country, but problem is they are already in too deep to go back home plus most have nothin to go back to. the Uk government is so greedy to make money out of the application fee for the HSMp and the tax that you pay that they have not really conducted a survey to determine at all if they supposedly highly skilled migrant are getting any jobs on coming into the uk. I came to the uk too with over 5 years experinece in IT, database admin/ support. and ve been in the uk close to 4 years now, just recently switched to hsmp and it seem to be getting more and more diff to get another job. I have friend who have gone back home and they are doing really fine back home at least they do not spend half of there salary on accomodation and bills. Some people give reasons for wanting to come over to the wetern world , but what if there was nowhere to go? or if the west countries shut their doors on us, what would we have done. Nothing.

ashishashah
India

Post by ashishashah » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:26 pm

Well, to come or not is your call..But looking at your profile you wont get a similar role in UK..Infact you will ahve to start a very low level(even as a developer)..The reason being no UK experience...So if u ready to start at the bottom and climb your way up the ladder, its fine..
But you wont get any management position....Also since you will start at a lower level,the pay scale will be accordingly..

UK is not good for high -end consultancy i feel....If u ave just started your career in India then u can come to UK,but if u r well settled in a hig profile job then you will be disappointed..I am not saying that u wont reach that level,but u have to make your way up gradually..As agents(who pass your CV to clients) ALWAYS look for UK exp..
But if your objective is just to experience western culture,work ethics then u r welcome..But not to save money /get a high profile job..
Infact u kight get frustrated as u will end up doing some menic job..

Ashish

yewhongwei79

Post by yewhongwei79 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:36 pm

I would suggest you to apply the UK jobs while you are still in India and do not resign from your current job in Microsoft before getting a job. UK is a very expensive place to live, and it is a no-no to come to UK without a job on hand. While your background in Microsoft will help, but in UK, that doesn't guarantee a similar management job. I was from Intel in Malaysia but after coming to UK, I don't feel the status that I used to have. My wife has to work in Post Office part time job although she has 5 years US MNC experience. The reason given by the agents - "You have no UK experience!".

WorkPermitIssues

Post by WorkPermitIssues » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:31 am

Do some research on UK based certifications for Project and Program MAnagement. E.g. Prince2 Employers and recruiters look for such keywords in the CVs and take things ahead. That is one of the ways for you to work as a Program/Project Manager in UK.

Secondly why dont u try an internal shift from Microsoft India to Microsoft UK. You would be much happier if this could happen.

Also, If you have an atleast a neutral accent you have a better chance of securing a higher profile role. Else if your accent is based on the dialects from a regional part of india, it will stand in between you and your job. Communication skills is given a LOT of importance here unlike in India where tech skills are good enough to secure a job.

daisy_ktm
BANNED

Post by daisy_ktm » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:32 pm

FRIENDS,

NO JOB HERE..LETS BE CLEAR...GO BACK TO HOME COUNTRY REQUEST PREVIOUS HR MANAGER TO GIVE BACK INDIAN JOB.I THINK THATS THE ONLY WAY...

THINK TWICE OR THEICW BEFORE QUITING YOUR JOBS...1000S OF HSMP
HOLDERS STARTED WORKING IN SUPER MARKETS & COFEEE SHOPS..
I KNOW AT LEAST 10 OF MY FRIENDS IN COFEE SHOPS, CLEANING TABLES. THEY ARE FIGHTING FOR THAT JOB WITH EASTERN EUROPIANS WHO GOT A DEFINITE EDGE OVER INDIANS..

SO EVEN THAT IS NOT EASY

NO IT JOB HERE AT ALL..