ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visit Length prior to Fiancé Visa Application

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hdenniso
Newly Registered
United States of America

Visit Length prior to Fiancé Visa Application

Post by hdenniso » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:19 pm

This may not be the right thread for this question, and if I am wrong I apologise.

My boyfriend and I are looking at going down the Fiancé Visa route. He was a PhD student at the time we met and his funding soon ran out. He’s been job searching, but he hasn’t been as lucky as we had hoped. He’s continuing to search, but at the moment we’re waiting until he secures a position before we can even think about the six months of payslips needed to apply.

My question is if I visit him for two months in the UK, one month in the US, will this be concerning to border control or impact our future visa application? I am lucky that my job allows me to work remotely, so that isn’t an issue. I am hoping that we can continue that routine (2 months in UK, 1 in US) until we are to the point of applying for the visa.

Will the length of time concern border control? Should I make it 2 months in US, 1 in the UK? I’m finishing a five week stay with him now, but they did seem a bit surprised at the length of time I was staying. I have no plans to overstay, and I know I can stay up to six months, but I am worried if they see that I’ll be staying for a long period of time, they won’t allow me in the country.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Visit Length prior to Fiancé Visa Application

Post by Casa » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:05 pm

As a visitor you shouldn't be seen to be spending more time in the UK in a 12 month rolling period than you are spending in your home country.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

hdenniso
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by hdenniso » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:35 pm

Thank you. So as long as I avoid spending more than 6 months in a year in the UK, I should be okay? That is good news and I will definitely keep that in mind when planning out when I will stay in the UK and when I will spend time back in the States.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:48 pm

hdenniso wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:35 pm
Thank you. So as long as I avoid spending more than 6 months in a year in the UK, I should be okay? That is good news and I will definitely keep that in mind when planning out when I will stay in the UK and when I will spend time back in the States.
Bear in mind that this isn't a calendar year...it's within a 12 month rolling period. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.