ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for Naturalisation. Dual Citizenship (South Africa)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gmccarthy
South Africa

Applying for Naturalisation. Dual Citizenship (South Africa)

Post by gmccarthy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:32 am

Thinking ahead a few months and trying to prepare. I'm about to apply for ILR now(Takes roughly 3-4 months if I'm lucky)

After that I can immediately apply for Citizenship. (My wife is British). Trying to get the timing right so I have all the documents in hand when applying.

I want to keep my South Africa passport so have to apply at home office for Confirmation of the non-acquisition of British citizenship: form NQ. (This document is only valid for 3 months)

After I get that then have to apply with South African High Commission in London.
Will be doing postal. So my first question is how long does this process take? Found a link on the SA house webpage that says 15 days. Can anyone confirm who has applied recently?

I believe the South African High Commission then send you a document back granting you retention.

Do you have to include this document in your citizenship application? Can't find anything that says you need to.

Also how long is this document valid for?
Don't want to get it and then ILR takes 6 months for example and retention document then invalid.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Applying for Naturalisation. Dual Citizenship (South Africa)

Post by CR001 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:28 am

If you go to the Home Affairs Consular section of SA High Commission, they can do it while you wait, takes about 2 to 3 hours.

Your SA Retention document is irrelevant to your British citizenship application and does not have to be submitted.

I didn't do this process due to the added cost (fees go up again in April by the way).

I did however get a letter (free of charge) from SA Consular (while I waited) granting me permission to enter and exist SA on my British passport and that I have the right to permanent residence as I was born there. I can also resume my citizenship if I live in the republic for 12 months. So when I go back home, I travel with the letter.

I have also been issued with a new non SA ID number and been taken off the population register.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

gmccarthy
South Africa

Post by gmccarthy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:25 am

Thanks for the info. Useful to know SA Retention document does not need to be submitted with British citizenship application.

Ceebee
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by Ceebee » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:36 pm

gmccarthy wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:32 am
I want to keep my South Africa passport so have to apply at home office for Confirmation of the non-acquisition of British citizenship: form NQ. (This document is only valid for 3 months)

After I get that then have to apply with South African High Commission in London.
Will be doing postal. So my first question is how long does this process take? Found a link on the SA house webpage that says 15 days. Can anyone confirm who has applied recently?
Having done this at the end of last year, I can confirm that it only takes a couple of weeks to get the certificate.
I believe the South African High Commission then send you a document back granting you retention.

Do you have to include this document in your citizenship application? Can't find anything that says you need to.

Also how long is this document valid for?
Don't want to get it and then ILR takes 6 months for example and retention document then invalid.
Yes you get a certificate which simply states that you have been exempted from the loss of South African citizenship and will remain SA citizen when you acquire British citizenship.
And as CR001 states, no need to include it in your BC application as not relevant.
It is dated, but no expiry date.
I expect that I'd have to take this with me if I travel to SA just in case anyone challenges my right to dual citizenship.