ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Set (O) Ancestry - documents required?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

LHolmes67
Newly Registered
South Africa

ILR Set (O) Ancestry - documents required?

Post by LHolmes67 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:07 pm

Hi all

I am about to apply for ILR as I have lived in the UK for 9 years on an Ancestry visa (renewed after 5 years). I am now married to a British citizen but I believe I need to apply under the same reason I was granted entry. What is confusing me is that I can't seem to find a full list of the supporting documents required. The application form mentions passports, BRP, proof of finances, English test (IELTS) and Life in the UK certificate.

Do I also need to submit all my ancestry documents, parents and grandparents birth certificates again?

How many years P60's and bank statements do I need to provide?

Our house is in my husband's name, would I give details of this? As we are married his financial situation has a direct bearing on mine.

Apologies if I sound a bit ignorant, I just can't seem to find the answers on the Gov website.

Thanks in anticipation
Linda

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR Set (O) Ancestry - documents required?

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:29 am

See detailed link below of a user who was successful with their ILR application.

indefinite-leave-to-remain/ancestry-vis ... stry%20ilr
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Katiecanadian
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Katiecanadian » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:10 pm

I think that thread relates to an older version of the application form. I am currently applying for ILR via Ancestry as well and the form doesn't ask for documents proving ancestry, or even what your ancestry link is. Are they still required?

I've looked through the boards but can't find an answer about whether Ancestry ILR applicants have to answer section 5.6 about wages etc - is ancestry included when it mentions "work permit holders"? Do I need to complete section 6.3 giving evidence of paid annual leave (I.e. Am I within "permitted employment categories")? I have listed my absences but am unsure whether I need a letter from my employer confirming my leave.

FischerJill
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by FischerJill » Tue May 22, 2018 2:39 pm

Yes the thread provided by the moderator is from 2015. Quite a lot has changed since then!!

Can anyone please confirm whether they were granted ILR on the Ancestry visa route WITHOUT the same documents used for the Ancestry Visa itself ? i.e. Mother and grandmother's birth and marriage certificates?

I'd rather not pay for these to be express posted around the world if it is a waste of time and money!

I would like to trust "if it's required, it will be stated in the forms" but understandly nervous with anything visa related.

Thanking you in advance!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:42 pm

FischerJill wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 2:39 pm
Yes the thread provided by the moderator is from 2015. Quite a lot has changed since then!!
What 'quite a lot has changed'??? The form has changed yes but there have been virtually no changes to the Ancestry route other than the absence limits.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

FischerJill
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by FischerJill » Tue May 22, 2018 7:16 pm

Hi moderator,

Two examples of changes are that the form no longer specifies you need to provide your mother / grandparents documents and doesn't mention needing to make copies.

No problem if you don't know the answer/s. I was hoping to get some insight from people who have recently attended the appointment in 2018 (not in 2015).

Thank you

very challanged
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by very challanged » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:07 pm

Hi Jill,

How did your application go? Were the birth certificates required?

sw2223
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by sw2223 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:38 am

Hi Jill,

I'm really curious to know if you found an answer to this. I submitted my application back in August, I applied online (only possible recently) and the document checklist didn't mention having to provide proof of ancestry again. It only asked for birth certificate for myself. However the wording of the checklist was quite vague and I am concerned that they actually do want those documents.

I've been waiting over 2 months and have not even had an acknowledgement that they received my application. I know it was delivered because I sent it tracked and signed for, but nothing from the Home Office to say it was received and is being processed, no invite for biometrics yet either.

I'm worried it might be delayed or rejected because I didn't send the additional birth certificates. But they won't give me any information when I've called them. Even Citizen's Advice have palmed me off to the website for information. FFS. It's infuriating.

sw2223
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by sw2223 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:42 am

FischerJill wrote:

I would like to trust "if it's required, it will be stated in the forms" but understandly nervous with anything visa related.
I NEVER trust this. I am convinced that forms are written by those who already know the process and are never sense checked by anyone outside of the department before they are published. So often they only make sense to those working at the Home Office.

sw2223
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by sw2223 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:46 am

CR001 wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 2:42 pm
FischerJill wrote:
What 'quite a lot has changed'??? The form has changed yes but there have been virtually no changes to the Ancestry route other than the absence limits.
You can also apply and pay online now - this is new as far as I am aware. All of my friends who applied in previous years were not able to do this. They had to fill in a hard copy form, provide payment details and wait for payment to be taken.

All I had to do was print the checklist and submit it with my documents and proof of online payment. The checklist is where things get really vague. :roll:

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:48 am

sw2223 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:38 am
Hi Jill,

I'm really curious to know if you found an answer to this. I submitted my application back in August, I applied online (only possible recently) and the document checklist didn't mention having to provide proof of ancestry again. It only asked for birth certificate for myself. However the wording of the checklist was quite vague and I am concerned that they actually do want those documents.

I've been waiting over 2 months and have not even had an acknowledgement that they received my application. I know it was delivered because I sent it tracked and signed for, but nothing from the Home Office to say it was received and is being processed, no invite for biometrics yet either.

I'm worried it might be delayed or rejected because I didn't send the additional birth certificates. But they won't give me any information when I've called them. Even Citizen's Advice have palmed me off to the website for information. FFS. It's infuriating.
Some haven't been asked for them, link below.

indefinite-leave-to-remain/a-few-questi ... 65-20.html

However, a member did post recently that they were asked for the birth and marriage certificates at their ILR appointment. I can't find the post at the moment but it was recent.
Char (CR001 not Casa)