ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

3.8yrs of exp in Mainframes and HSMP Holder

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sahana
Newly Registered

3.8yrs of exp in Mainframes and HSMP Holder

Post by sahana » Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:54 am

Hello!

I am coming to UK on dec31st on HSMP visa.

I have 3.8yrs of experience in Mainframes(JCL,COBOL,VSM,IMS DB,DB2,CICS).

I checked all the UK jobwebsites and found jobs for my profile.
Can someone lemme know if the decision I have taken to come to UK is right?

Please lemme know of any UK agencies who recruit mainframe candidates.....Please e-mail to my ID - sharmi.mf@gmail.com

Also please let me know someone whoz working in Mainframes in UK.....

Many thanks in advance!

JavaGuy

Post by JavaGuy » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:44 am

I dont get it!! You are coming to the Uk in 10 days and you want someone to tell you whether it is right???

If I tell you that your decision is wrong, would you cancel your ticket and stay where you are?

If you have taken a decision stick by it all the way. Anyway there;s nothing wrong with your decisionn, there are plenty of IT jobs to go around. And yes in mainframes too. A word of advice, it's not worthwhile chasing after agencies. They are interested in you only when there is a role hot and ready for your profile. Just go to jobserve.com, search for your skills and apply left right and centre.

cooldude143

Post by cooldude143 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:28 am

Hi
I was in UK under WP for 1.5 yrs..and i too have the same mainframe profile..at the end of my stay what i found was mainframe jobs are very rare to find and they offer very low wage.

tral_hsmp

Post by tral_hsmp » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:34 pm

Hi Sahana,

Any update regarding your job search.
Have you got a job, I hope so.

Please respond as I am also looking for a job and have the same skill set and experience as yours.

Thanks

sahana
Newly Registered

Post by sahana » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:15 pm

Hello tral/hsmp,

am still searching for a job...kindly provide me ur email-id....will mail u

HSMP_feb11
Newly Registered

hi

Post by HSMP_feb11 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:57 am

Hi sahana and tral_hsmp,

i am also having same profile 3.8yrs exp in mainframe and got HSMP recently. planning to apply for EC. could you tell me how market for mainframe in UK?

HSMP_feb11
Newly Registered

Post by HSMP_feb11 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:58 am

forgot to ask........

have you got jobs?

tral_hsmp

Mainframe

Post by tral_hsmp » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:35 pm

Hi

Congrats for getting HSMP approval
I am still searching job from last more than two months, but no success yet. In this duration only one interview that too for a test analyst.

Market in Mainframe is too bad in UK. In one week I did a comparison that only 26 openings for COBOl(exact match was less than 15) on the other hand for .Net 1300+ and for Jave 900+

I would suggest that make your mind that it may take lot of time to get job here. But may be you may be fortunate and will get as soon as you will arrive in UK

Best of luck

HSMP_feb11
Newly Registered

Post by HSMP_feb11 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:29 am

thank you for your reply. ya i have seen your postings. i am very sorry abt this. give me your mail id. if i know anything i will forward the details.i'm planning to learn SAP mean while. all the best.........

daisy_ktm
BANNED

Post by daisy_ktm » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:31 pm

FRIENDS,

NO JOB HERE..LETS BE CLEAR...GO BACK TO HOME COUNTRY REQUEST PREVIOUS HR MANAGER TO GIVE BACK INDIAN JOB.I THINK THATS THE ONLY WAY...

THINK TWICE OR THEICW BEFORE QUITING YOUR JOBS...1000S OF HSMP
HOLDERS STARTED WORKING IN SUPER MARKETS & COFEEE SHOPS..
I KNOW AT LEAST 10 OF MY FRIENDS IN COFEE SHOPS, CLEANING TABLES. THEY ARE FIGHTING FOR THAT JOB WITH EASTERN EUROPIANS WHO GOT A DEFINITE EDGE OVER INDIANS..

SO EVEN THAT IS NOT EASY

NO IT JOB HERE AT ALL..

sweety
Newly Registered

Mainframe job search query

Post by sweety » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:27 am

Hi All,

I am having 4+ years of experience in Mainframe Technology (Cobol, JCL, IDMS, ADSO). I have got now Tier 1 Visa for UK. I am currently in India and planning to travel to UK after finding a Job in UK from here. I understand that it is bit difficult, but scared to be jobless. I have started applying at various websites jobserve, itjobs, monster etc. but find no response. I also understand that the percentage of Mainframe job availability is less in UK.

Please can anyone provide some consultants in UK / from India who recruit members for Cobol jobs.

Hi Sahana,

Could you let me know your experience in job search...

Cheers,
Sweety.

jain83
Newly Registered

mainframe job search in uk

Post by jain83 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:11 am

Hi Sweety..
Since you already have the Tier 1 visa, you can give a try in Indian companies which will hire you for a position in UK..If there is a req, then they will prefer to hav u on board soon, since u already have a visa...
By doing so, u will not hav the fear of being jobless there and once u land, u can search for a better oppurtunity (may be after spending some time in this indian co)..
I heard that getting a job from here is difficult bcos the recruiters would want to hav a f2f discussion and probably tat mite b d reason for not getting calls..
I too am working on Mainframes and hav 3 yrs exp..I am planning to apply for Tier 1 visa but hav a fear abt the job market in UK(specially for mainframe ppl)...

hav a nice time,
cheers,
Manoj.

cooldude143

Post by cooldude143 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Mainframe Guys,
The job market is really bad and there are only one job adverts but 100s of applicants which includes tier-1 fellows and local professionals who affected by outsourcing.
So think before you come here..
Cheers

sweety
Newly Registered

Hmmm

Post by sweety » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:04 pm

Hi Manoj & Cooldude,

Thanks for your response... so there is no future at all for us - the mainframe guys in UK?? very sad :(

Please advice if I could make use of my Tier 1 and get into some other technology specific jobs after getting trained from India...

I think SAP is good, but not sure whether I can shift to SAP directly.... similarly for other technologies...

Please provide some input. thanks.

regards,
sweety.

jain83
Newly Registered

Switching from mainframe to other tech

Post by jain83 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:12 pm

Hi Sweety...
I guess we are sailing in the same boat..About 2 or 3 months before, I made up my mind to shift frm mf to SAP ABAP..I also talked to some of my friends & colleagues who r in SAP... but somehow I dropped the idea bcos I felt it was risky at this point...

I could see some bottlenecks in such scenarios...
Firstly, u will have to start frm ZERO with the new technology and gradually gain expertise in the same bcos u will be competing with those who actually hav the real time exp in that...this mite take a few mnths i guess..
Secondly, u have two choices. Either u go as a fresher or claim experience in the new tech(as if u hav been wrking on it frm X yrs :) ).
Getting thru an interview in the new tech may b difficult (but still if ur confident, u can crack it) but surviving in a company with the claimed exp is more diffciult...There will be high expectations from u when u say ur 3 or 4 yrs exp in tat tech...

I am not writing all this stuff to discourage you but only to suggest you that think twice before u make a decision...n also the IT market is not a hot cake as it used to be...u mite be aware of the recession too..

anywez wish u gud luck...
Cheers,
Manoj