ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage registration requirements for ILR holders

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

browneyed_girl_ksk
Newly Registered

Marriage registration requirements for ILR holders

Post by browneyed_girl_ksk » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:36 am

Hi - I struggled with where to post this, so apologies if this is not the correct place.....

I am planning to marry my british-born fiancé later this year. I am non-EEA (Canadian) but hold ILR, and we plan to get married overseas.

I interpret the guidance on UK.gov to mean that since I am no longer subject to "immigration control", there is no requirement to give 28-days notice at the registry office prior to our wedding. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance!

secret.simon

Re: Marriage registration requirements for ILR holders

Post by secret.simon » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:41 am

browneyed_girl_ksk wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:36 am
we plan to get married overseas.
If you plan to get married overseas, there is no need to give notice at the registry marriage anyway.

The notice is for if you plan to get married at that registry office.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:10 am

28 days is the standard notification time for all couples marrying in the UK.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:27 pm

If you marrying overseas then why you will need to give again the marriage notice since you would already have been married.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:25 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:41 am
If you plan to get married overseas, there is no need to give notice at the registry marriage anyway.

@seagul They won't. secret.simon has already expained that. :idea:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:38 pm

Casa wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:25 pm
secret.simon wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:41 am

@seagul They won't. secret.simon has already expained that. :idea:
@CASA: I am aware about that but your post regarding giving 28 days notice afterwards was actually unnecessary and wasn't applies to OP query if you re-read it again.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:11 pm

I interpret the guidance on UK.gov to mean that since I am no longer subject to "immigration control", there is no requirement to give 28-days notice at the registry office prior to our wedding. Is this correct?
@seagul. I was responding to the OP's question as to whether when someone is not subject to immigration control, there is no requirement to give 28 days notice to marry. The 28 day registration period is standard for all marriages in the UK

"Giving notice at your local register office
For most marriages or civil partnerships you must give at least 28 full days’ notice at your local register office
."
AND
"Your notice will be publicly displayed in the register office for 28 days."

If the OP hadn't asked for this to be clarified, I wouldn't have mentioned it. :?:
(Casa, not CR001)