ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US Citizen Marrying Czech National Whom Works in UK

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

leshok
Newly Registered
United States of America

US Citizen Marrying Czech National Whom Works in UK

Post by leshok » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:20 am

Hi everyone,

I have a few questions that I cannot find an exact answer (/would like confirmation on) despite my best googling on various websites and the UK visa website.

I am a US citizen marrying a Czech national whom lives and works in the UK. We plan on marrying in Czech Republic and then have me come over to the UK. She is not a permanent resident. She has been in the UK for about a year and a half. We both got our masters at the same school in London (not sure if relevant). I also worked as an intern in London this past year for 6 months before returning to the US.

So my questions to you are:
>is an EEA permit the best one for me to work and live in London?
>>can I apply from within the UK? The answer I believe is NO.
>>can I apply from the Czech Republic? I do not believe this is a good idea because the process could take up to 6 months.
>does anyone know the typical waiting period to receive the visa and may I stay in the UK and wait for it?
>Is there a way to expedite the EEA process? I am 50/50 on this answer.

Also, I live in Los Angeles if that means anything. Been working professionally for nearly 5 years (half year in London). Bachelors from US/UK and Masters from UK. I hope these few points help my application.

Thank you!

dan1988uk
Member of Standing
Italy

Re: US Citizen Marrying Czech National Whom Works in UK

Post by dan1988uk » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:46 am

leshok wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:20 am
Hi everyone,

I have a few questions that I cannot find an exact answer (/would like confirmation on) despite my best googling on various websites and the UK visa website.

I am a US citizen marrying a Czech national whom lives and works in the UK. We plan on marrying in Czech Republic and then have me come over to the UK. She is not a permanent resident. She has been in the UK for about a year and a half. We both got our masters at the same school in London (not sure if relevant). I also worked as an intern in London this past year for 6 months before returning to the US.

>>can I apply from the Czech Republic? I do not believe this is a good idea because the process could take up to 6 months.
>does anyone know the typical waiting period to receive the visa and may I stay in the UK and wait for it?

Also, I live in Los Angeles if that means anything. Been working professionally for nearly 5 years (half year in London). Bachelors from US/UK and Masters from UK. I hope these few points help my application.

Thank you!
Yes, EEA family Permit is the best option. You can not apply within the Uk because the permit is an entry visa, you can apply from both Czech and US, Insuggest you to apply from the USA because apparently the process is quicker (on average). You can also travel to the UK with your spouse without any permit and ask for EEA stamp, it’s easy for you because you don’t need visa to enter as a tourist. Once in the UK you will apply for a residence card.

leshok
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by leshok » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:13 am

dan1988uk wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:46 am
leshok wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thank you!
Yes, EEA family Permit is the best option. You can not apply within the Uk because the permit is an entry visa, you can apply from both Czech and US, Insuggest you to apply from the USA because apparently the process is quicker (on average). You can also travel to the UK with your spouse without any permit and ask for EEA stamp, it’s easy for you because you don’t need visa to enter as a tourist. Once in the UK you will apply for a residence card.
You can also travel to the UK with your spouse without any permit and ask for EEA stamp, it’s easy for you because you don’t need visa to enter as a tourist. Once in the UK you will apply for a residence card.

I can travel to the UK even though I will have to send off my passport to apply from Czech or the US? Traveling without a passport...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:33 am

leshok wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:13 am
dan1988uk wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:46 am
leshok wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thank you!
You can also travel to the UK with your spouse without any permit and ask for EEA stamp, it’s easy for you because you don’t need visa to enter as a tourist. Once in the UK you will apply for a residence card.

I can travel to the UK even though I will have to send off my passport to apply from Czech or the US? Traveling without a passport...
You have misunderstood the advice. You can EITHER apply for the EEA FP from the US or Czech OR enter the UK with your passport as a visitor and apply for a residence card once here as the spouse of an EU citizen.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.