ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 app not straightforward / complex

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rrdani
Newly Registered
United States of America

Tier 2 app not straightforward / complex

Post by rrdani » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:29 pm

I'm writing this post partially in case an experienced board member has some insight relating to my specific circumstances, but also partially just to serve as a record for others who may experience something similar.

I applied 20 Feb, tier 2 restricted w/ RLMT, 'processing started' email received 23 Feb. Country of application is the United States (British Consulate in New York).

Automated email received 9 March (10 working days from start of processing) stating the following:

UKVI in New York processes all straightforward visa applications within 15 working days. However, your case is considered to be complex, so the processing time for your visa application may extend past the normal 15 working days. ... cont'd

I have read a few bits here and elsewhere on the internet suggesting that, on occasion, this message may have little or nothing to do with the application itself, and more to do with the tendency of the Home Office to issue this message as a way of validating flattering statistics related to processing times (e.g. 99% of applications processed within 10 working days... but this would only be applications considered to be straightforward). I suppose only the ECOs know if this is true in any given location during any given month; I certainly don't know if it's the case with my application.

What I do know is that, like so many applicants before me, the additional processing time combined with the completely opaque nature of the UKVI office is putting an unanticipated strain on me here in my home country and on my prospective employer in the UK. These types of frustrations are beaten to death here and on other sites, so I won't digress... Here are some potential reasons my application may have legitimately been considered complex:

1) I last had leave to be in the UK on a tier 4 VISA, and that VISA may still have been active in the system when my tier 2 application began processing.
2) I withdrew from my tier 4 undergraduate studies before completion of the course and although I left the UK in good order without overstaying, I never received a curtailment or any other communication before exiting the UK.
3) I had a National Insurance Number issued to me while in the UK on tier 4 leave.
4) I attended undergraduate studies at university for years 1 and 2, completed an authorised sandwich year work placement in year 3 (hence the National Insurance Number), but withdrew from undergraduate studies during the first semester of year 4, and exited the UK in good order after that.
5) I had six (6) separate residential addresses during my 3.5 years under tier 2, including three (3) in the final 6 months.
6) I left the UK for university trips and holidays on seven (7) occasions during my tier 4 stay.

But all of this is well documented, submitted properly, I have no criminal record, the job is relatively highly paid and highly skilled, the sponsor is a global organisation with an immaculate record, maintenance certified on CoS, DipHE with distinction awarded for the 2 years at uni, all accounts in good standing, and to the best of my knowledge the RLMT was 100% compliant.

As of this post (14+ working days after document submission), the Home Office has not requested additional information from myself or from my sponsor.

There are others out there that either are or will be in the same boat as me, with what seems to be a straightforward application (apparently) sitting still at the UKVI, wreaking havoc logistically for the applicant at home and abroad. I've tried to include the relevant keywords here, and I will keep this post updated with critical actions and the overall outcome.

rrdani
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Tier 2 app not straightforward / complex

Post by rrdani » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:39 pm

edit: point 5) makes mention of tier 2

It should say tier 4; I have no prior tier 2 history

rrdani
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Tier 2 app not straightforward / complex

Post by rrdani » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:36 pm

Update: application decision came yesterday. The full timeline is below.

Biometrics: 20 Feb
Documents submitted: 20 Feb
Documents arrived: 21 Feb
Email, processing started: 23 Feb
Email, complex application: 09 March
Email, decision reached: 14 March
Passport received: 15 March

For the record, the application was successful, and no additional information was ever requested from myself or the sponsor. I can only speculate as to the nature of the "complex" email. As I mentioned in the OP, many people seem to think it's a boilerplate thing, but I have no factual evidence one way or another in this case.