ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Urgent help request, baby denied entry

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Battlestar

Urgent help request, baby denied entry

Post by Battlestar » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:24 am

Hi guys so I messed up by relying on advice from someone I thought had become a friend here in Belgium.

I'm a British citizen from birth (so are my parents), my wife is non EU national and we have been living together since May 2017 in Belgium. She has an EU residence card issued that states spouse of EU citizen. We have a son who is 18 months and he has a British passport.

We had a daughter born three weeks ago and applied for a Belgian kid ID document as we were told we can use this to travel to the UK. The plan was once in the UK we would applyy for her passport.

Yesterday we tried to board the ferry across to Dover and the French waved us through but the UK board guards denied entry to my daughter saying that her ID is not a valid travel document.

Anyone know what the quickest way and type of ID she needs to cross? The UK boarder force asked her nationality and I said British by decent as that is what I thought it is.

I've just made her passport application today from Belgium and sent the required evidence requested. Any help appreciated on this stupid mistake of mine.

vinny

Re: Urgent help request, baby denied entry

Post by vinny » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:29 am

Very odd.

He was eligible under
Right of admission to the United Kingdom wrote:
11.—(1) An EEA national must be admitted to the United Kingdom on arrival if the EEA national produces a valid national identity card or passport issued by an EEA State.
Moreover, they should not have refused a British citizen from entering, despite not having a British passport nor CoE-RoA.

Complain and claim expenses.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Battlestar

Post by Battlestar » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:48 am

Hi Vinny,

Thanks for the reply. I emailed and called the British consulate 20 minutes ago and was sent the following reply.

The Belgian issued ID card that you mention below is not a valid travel document for the UK, as it is simply a residence card. The only valid document for travel is a British passport; we are not usually able to offer an emergency travel document for a child who doesn’t already have a British passport unless there are compassionate circumstances.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:59 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Battlestar

Post by Battlestar » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:08 am

Belgian Kid ID. It's a paper based one, not an eID.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:11 am

Identity card for Belgians living abroad wrote:The eID and Kids-ID are valid identity and travel documents for the member states of the European Union and for a few neighbouring countries. Hence, they will often be helpful - and even necessary - means for the holders to identify themselves.
For numerous countries a passport is required as an eID is not sufficient.
As you said, it's not an eID.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:26 am

Entering the UK wrote:You’re from an EEA country or Switzerland
You can enter the UK with either a valid passport or a national identity card issued by a EEA country.

Battlestar

Post by Battlestar » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:22 am

Vinyl I'm going to apply for this which I can get by tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest. Do you think they will allow travel. Have emailed the embassy and await there response too.

It's an eKid ID

https://www.antwerpen.be/nl/info/539845 ... 90/kids-id

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:37 am

Vinny please note that the Belgian issues 2 ID cards, one is to nationals of Belgium which permits travel within the EU. The other is for EEA national or their non EEA family members, which does not permit travel within EU. It is purely for domestic use.

If you had used Calais crossing, Juxtaposed immigration applies their and MRAX would have applied, they would have allowed you child entry under community law, but this does not apply with Belgium.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Battlestar

Post by Battlestar » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:46 am

Obie,

I need to book a new ferry now anyway so I'll do Calais to Dover. With the new Kid ID mentioned, would I be OK?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:48 am

Obie wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:37 am
Vinny please note that the Belgian issues 2 ID cards, one is to nationals of Belgium which permits travel within the EU. The other is for EEA national or their non EEA family members, which does not permit travel within EU. It is purely for domestic use.
Thanks, Obie. So, which one did the kid have?

Battlestar

Post by Battlestar » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:55 am

She had one for EU nationals. And on it it has her Belgian national number, date of birth, details of parents and states nationality as United Kingdom.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:04 am

Battlestar wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:55 am
She had one for EU nationals. And on it it has her Belgian national number, date of birth, details of parents and states nationality as United Kingdom.
That is like a form of Registration certificate. It does not permit travel.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Battlestar

Post by Battlestar » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:24 am

Thanks you Obie.

If I order this one, will this be OK?

https://www.antwerpen.be/nl/info/539845 ... 90/kids-id

Battlestar

Post by Battlestar » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:15 pm

So just got a response from the embassy and they are saying even with the eKid ID she will need a British passport.

Really annoyed as I wanted to travel ASAP for a family member wedding.