ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent resident in UK through EEA route wanting to immigrate to France

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MAETRA
Newly Registered

Permanent resident in UK through EEA route wanting to immigrate to France

Post by MAETRA » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:32 pm

Hello,

I am originally from NZ and have a permanent residence visa for the UK that is stamped in my NZ passport which I acquired from the EEA route (I was married to a French national but we divorced many years ago). The visa needs to be renewed every 10 years and I have 3 years left on it. I am now wanting to re-locate to France to live with my new partner. Can I please have some advice on getting a French visa and whether I would be eligible for one.

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Permanent resident in UK through EEA route wanting to immigrate to France

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:40 pm

MAETRA wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:32 pm
Hello,

I am originally from NZ and have a permanent residence visa for the UK that is stamped in my NZ passport which I acquired from the EEA route (I was married to a French national but we divorced many years ago). The visa needs to be renewed every 10 years and I have 3 years left on it. I am now wanting to re-locate to France to live with my new partner. Can I please have some advice on getting a French visa and whether I would be eligible for one.

Thank you.
Why not apply for British citizenship???

It is the PR card that needs renewing, like a drivers licence, not the status of PR.

Your time spent in the UK and PR will be lost and not count in France. PR from the UK is not transferable to another member state.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

MAETRA
Newly Registered

Post by MAETRA » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:04 pm

Right so I need to get British Citizenship first to be able to immigrate to France - I wouldn't be able to get it from my PR visa in the UK as it's not transferable? I will do that and try and move before Brexit!

Thank you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:16 pm

I didn't say you must apply for British Citizenship. It simply seems more logical and would make moving easier. If you meet the citizenship requirements, this is the best way to go to be honest. Online and NDRS service applications are currently taking about a month to 2 months.
I wouldn't be able to get it from my PR visa in the UK as it's not transferable?
You cannot transfer your UK status of PR to another member state. If your partner is French, you also cannot apply under the EU directive and have to apply under the French immigration rules.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

MAETRA
Newly Registered

Post by MAETRA » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:36 am

Thanks for your advice.

Just one more question. In the interim before I completely move to France I was going to divide my time between England and France. While in France I would be living with my EU partner (Dutch) and working remotely for a UK based company. I am on a salary not a freelancer but work remotely in the UK too. Can I double check this is okay as long as I don't exceed 183 days of the year over there. Am I likely to get questioned at the border? Is there anything else I need to be aware of / consider with this arrangement?

Thank you.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:46 am

As you have already acquired PR in the UK, you can be absent for up to two years from the UK and still retain PR in the UK.

However, absence of more than six months in the year will break your continuity of residence in France for the purpose of acquiring PR there.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:59 am

You really should consider applying for British citizenship as this will be less onerous.
Char (CR001 not Casa)