ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Thai girlfriend wanting to relocate to UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MarkW123
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Thai girlfriend wanting to relocate to UK

Post by MarkW123 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:24 pm

Hi all. Any comments on this from wiser and more experienced heads would be gratefully received.
Simply put, my Thai national girlfriend is now pregnant and the baby is due in October. What I require is some advice on whether and on what basis it would be possible for her to relocate to the UK post birth. She has visited before and currently has the benefit of a Visitors Visa which is due to expire next month.
I understand that the issue will be her and not the child since the child will automatically get British citizenship through me given that I, as the father, am a British passport holder who was born in the UK.
The questions are therefore:

1. Is it possible for her to relocate to the UK and if so on what basis and how do I go about making that happen?

2. Is it an absolute that we will need to be married beforehand? I would like to avoid doing so if at all possible due to having had a bad experience previously.

3. Could somebody confirm my initial understanding as to the automatic issuing of a British passport to the child and again, if this is correct, what is the process for obtaining this.

Many many thanks to anyone who can bring some experience to bear on these issues.

Mark

ouflak1

Re: Thai girlfriend wanting to relocate to UK

Post by ouflak1 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:00 am

MarkW123 wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:24 pm
Hi all. Any comments on this from wiser and more experienced heads would be gratefully received.
Simply put, my Thai national girlfriend is now pregnant and the baby is due in October. What I require is some advice on whether and on what basis it would be possible for her to relocate to the UK post birth. She has visited before and currently has the benefit of a Visitors Visa which is due to expire next month.
I understand that the issue will be her and not the child since the child will automatically get British citizenship through me given that I, as the father, am a British passport holder who was born in the UK.
The questions are therefore:

1. Is it possible for her to relocate to the UK and if so on what basis and how do I go about making that happen?
She can either qualify on her own right through a variety of routes, you can become engaged to her, or you can marry her.
MarkW123 wrote:
2. Is it an absolute that we will need to be married beforehand? I would like to avoid doing so if at all possible due to having had a bad experience previously.
No you do not need to be married if she can qualify via any of the work/student/ancestry routes. Also you can get engaged and be married later.
MarkW123 wrote:
3. Could somebody confirm my initial understanding as to the automatic issuing of a British passport to the child and again, if this is correct, what is the process for obtaining this.
The Home Office may require a DNA test if you are not married at the time of birth. Otherwise, the process is the same as for any child who is by birth a British citizen. I noticed you used the word 'automatic'. I hope you aren't thinking it will be 'fast', because it can take time if you are having to do this for the child from abroad (presumably Thailand in this case). Obviously from inside the UK it will be much quicker.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Thai girlfriend wanting to relocate to UK

Post by Casa » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:57 am

Do bear in mind that if you choose the fiance route, you will be required to submit evidence that a wedding is being planned (e.g quotes from venues/caterers/invitations, enquiry with Registry Office for available dates.....). You will also have to marry in the UK within 6 months of the visa issue date.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.