ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Turkish marrying a French want to settle down in UK

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Magua
Newly Registered

Turkish marrying a French want to settle down in UK

Post by Magua » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:44 pm

Hello,

I am currently living in Sweden with my girl friend. I am a Turkish citizen and my Girl firend is French. We are planning to marry and to live in UK. As a French citizen she will move to UK soon she already get an interview there and we hope her to get a job there soon. Our question is where should we marry? Can we marry in UK? Or should we marry in france? I have no visa for UK nor schengen states right now I only have permission to stay in Sweden until mid summer. I am currently working here. Also will I get to havea work permit inUK if we marry and howlong would that take for me to get.

thank you in advance for your replies!

evil_grrrl666

Post by evil_grrrl666 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:56 pm

How about marrying in sweden? Have you checked what you need to do for that? For the UK visa application procedure, it does not matter where you marry. I got married in India and they did not complain about the marriage certificate, even though it looks absolutely absurd and we never even got it legalised.

However, if you want to marry in UK, you will need COA (certificate of approval), I have no clue about whether you need anything to marry in France (of course you will need to get a valid visa first though).

regarding the second part of your question: you do NOT need a work permit if you are joining your french spouse in UK. you need an EEA Family permit to enter the country. Afterwards you are automatically allowed to work and stay in the UK as long as your spouse is not a burden on public funds. (either as a worker/jobseeker/self employed/student/economically self sufficient)
After you are in the UK, you apply for a residence permit; EEA2. Which confirms that you have the right to live and work in the UK. This is not required though, you have the right to be there with your spouse whether or not you apply for this permit. The only thing is that employers will be very suspicious if you do not have the permit and you may not get a job as a result.

Magua
Newly Registered

EEA family permit

Post by Magua » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:16 pm

Thank you evil_grrrl666,

Thanks for the information. We can not marry here in Sweden, cause it is too late for us now even we apply now it will take some time to get the documents and everything ready and we move out of sweden end of May. I think we will marry in France now we are looking at the procedure for that. I will apply for a visa as you said. One more question do you know normally how long does it take to get the EEA Family permit after the marriage?

thanks.