ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation certificate in maiden name - an issue for passport?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

as2018
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Naturalisation certificate in maiden name - an issue for passport?

Post by as2018 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:21 pm

Hi all,

My wife has just been approved for British Citizenship (and after all the stages we have gone through, that is a very welcome end to a long journey!)

However, even though she applied in her married name, all of the paperwork (i.e. the approval letter and the invitation to the ceremony) has her maiden name on it. I assume that this is because her BRP is still in her maiden name. I also assume that her certificate will be in her maiden name.

She applied using NCS and applied for her passport at the same time so, once she has completed the ceremony, the passport application will be processed.

The passport application is in her married name - as is her old passport (a US passport in this case).

Now, I know that there are issues if your name doesn't match what is on your existing passport, but that is not an issue in this case (as the names ARE the same).

However, her naturalisation certificate is in her maiden name which is, obviously, different. We supplied the marriage certificate as part of NCS but have no visibility of what was/will be sent to the Passport Office as supporting documentation (or whether any is needed).

I'm hoping that there is no issue and that her new passport will be issued in her married name - but will it?

Or are there likely to be problems? We were expecting all of the paperwork to be issued in the name she applied under, so this is confusing (and a - hopefully final - worry!)

I'm sure this must be a common occurrence (unless UKVI has made an error) but I can't find this situation on any searches. Anyone have experience they can share?

To reiterate - naturalisation certificate in maiden name, (USA) passport in married name - will UK passport be issued in married name, as requested?

Thanks for any advice!

as2018
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Naturalisation certificate in maiden name - an issue for passport?

Post by as2018 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:30 am

Just to update, I spoke to the Passport Office and the person I spoke to wasn't sure - but thought it would be OK (it could come down to the discretion on whoever deals with it :shock: ).

She has her citizenship ceremony on Monday, so we will find out. I'm guessing one of 3 things will happen.

1. The passport will be issued in her married name - all good
2. They will want support documentation to show the name change (if they can't already see the marriage certificate via JCAP)
3. They will reject the application - in which case she reapplies with her marriage certificate attached (which would be a pain but not the end of the world)

We will see. Unless anyone chimes in with their experience, I'll update again with the outcome in case anyone else find themselves in a similar position.

as2018
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by as2018 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:40 am

Just in case anyone else experiences this, UKVI contacted us today.

Apparently, they should have issued the certificate in her married name and have asked for it to be returned for correction. The passport will then be issued.

as2018
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by as2018 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:14 am

Again, for anyone who experiences the same issue, my wife finally received the amended certificate today (4.5 weeks).

Now to find out when the passport will come. Shortly, I assume, but will chase the Passport Office in case UKVI didn't notify them that the certificate is now aligned.

As an aside, we went on holiday last week and she returned on her US Passport. I was a little nervous as she had already returned her biometric card and, technically, she doesn't have ILR (though she is a citizen even though we had no formal proof). However, as we had already set her up as a Registered Traveller, we sailed right through the ePassport gates. Not sure I recommend it as a strategy, but it worked for us :)

as2018
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by as2018 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:06 pm

Passport finally arrived today. 6 weeks to get the certificate name changed and the passport issued.

Finally - the end of the line!

Jbkchoudary
Newly Registered
India

Post by Jbkchoudary » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:55 pm

Hi,

I presume your wife received naturalisation certificate in her maiden name. I believe we should highlight this during the ceremony.

What is the procedure in terms on documentation, forms to fill etc to send it for amendment?

Do we need to contact UKVI to inform about amendment required to hold them from forwarding passport application to passport office (or) do they contact us due to name being different in naturalisation certificate & current passport?

Do we need to inform passport office about the name being different on naturalisation certificate & current passport and amendment application?

Any additional information in terms of process that you followed will be definitely useful, Thanks

Jbkchoudary
Newly Registered
India

Post by Jbkchoudary » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:57 pm

as2018 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:06 pm
Passport finally arrived today. 6 weeks to get the certificate name changed and the passport issued.

Finally - the end of the line!
Hi,

I presume your wife received naturalisation certificate in her maiden name. I believe we should highlight this during the ceremony.

What is the procedure in terms on documentation, forms to fill etc to send it for amendment?

Do we need to contact UKVI to inform about amendment required to hold them from forwarding passport application to passport office (or) do they contact us due to name being different in naturalisation certificate & current passport?

Do we need to inform passport office about the name being different on naturalisation certificate & current passport and amendment application?

Any additional information in terms of process that you followed will be definitely useful, Thanks