ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse's visa changes after citizenship.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

yuzman
Newly Registered
Ireland

Spouse's visa changes after citizenship.

Post by yuzman » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:44 am

Hello folks,

As of now, I'm waiting for the final citizenship approval letter and hopefully be in the ceremony on 21st of May. I have my wife in Ireland with me living for around 3 years on stamp 3. Her GNIB / current visa is valid until mid 2019. I have a few questions, because I've been reading some really varying comments.

1) Because she's already in the country we'll apply to a stamp 4, as an Irish spouse. I've looked into the website, but couldn't find any other page than this one: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000024
Is there a chance that she wouldn't get a temporary visa? Is this the one people are recommending to go through with a solicitor?
2) What is the rough timeline for the temporary visa - and what does this temporary visa allow you? As I've mentioned she already has her visa, does this visa allow her to work?

Thanks!

Zoot7
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Spouse's visa changes after citizenship.

Post by Zoot7 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:05 am

Once you have your new Irish passport in hand (Congratulations on approval btw! :D ), all you have to do is go the GNIB office or local immigration officer depending on where you're living, and you should be able to get her transferred to Stamp 4 straight away whereby she'll be able to work with no employment permit or added hassle.

Because you'll be an Irish citizen and she has vaild permission to remain the country currently (Stamp 3 until mid 2019), things should be very straightforward. There shouldn't be any need for a solicitor or any reason why she shouldn't get the Stamp 4.

With regards to a timeline, if it's the Dublin office, you should walk out the door with the Stamp 4 in her passport and the new GNIB or Residence card on the same day. If it's outside Dublin, it may take a few weeks.

The way it worked with my wife ( she's from the Philippines, I'm Irish ), we met with the Immigration officer (we're outside Dublin), he registered her but it took a number of weeks to get the GNIB card for her, it was only then he stamped her passport, but she would have been completely legal here directly after meeting with him.