ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for naturalisation- need advice please!

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ramyakumar
Newly Registered
India

Applying for naturalisation- need advice please!

Post by ramyakumar » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:52 am

Hello everyone,
I am going to apply for naturalisation in the next few days and got a bit scared after reading some posts about people's applications getting rejected so I thought I would better ask anyone here for advice.
I relocated to the UK in Jan 2011 on HSMP (Highly Skilled Migrant Person visa) and met my husband (British citizen by birth) and we got married and I applied for spouse visa in Sept 2012 and have been successfully granted the 1st and 2nd extension- total of 5 years. I also got my ILR on 26 Feb 2018. All of the visa applications I have done so far (in my entire life actually) I have done it myself without needing to go to an Immigration Lawyer. And according to my research I know that as a spouse (unlike people who are on Tier 1, 2 and other types of visa) I can immediately make an application for naturalisation. Now this is where I am confused or just unsure, I can't say- but Can I actually make this application? Or am I supposed to wait for 12 months before I make this application? And also some of my friends had their decision within two months and they have assured me that if it is straight forward it can be sorted out really quickly! Please can anyone answer these 2 important questions based on my circumstances:
(1) Can I make an application for naturalisation - got my ILR on 26 Feb 2018, I am married to a British citizen?
(2) Or am I supposed to wait for 12 months before I make this application?
Any advice is really appreciated.
Thank you
Ramya Kumar

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Applying for naturalisation- need advice please!

Post by Casa » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:28 am

ramyakumar wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:52 am
Hello everyone,
I am going to apply for naturalisation in the next few days and got a bit scared after reading some posts about people's applications getting rejected so I thought I would better ask anyone here for advice.
I relocated to the UK in Jan 2011 on HSMP (Highly Skilled Migrant Person visa) and met my husband (British citizen by birth) and we got married and I applied for spouse visa in Sept 2012 and have been successfully granted the 1st and 2nd extension- total of 5 years. I also got my ILR on 26 Feb 2018. All of the visa applications I have done so far (in my entire life actually) I have done it myself without needing to go to an Immigration Lawyer. And according to my research I know that as a spouse (unlike people who are on Tier 1, 2 and other types of visa) I can immediately make an application for naturalisation. Now this is where I am confused or just unsure, I can't say- but Can I actually make this application? Or am I supposed to wait for 12 months before I make this application? And also some of my friends had their decision within two months and they have assured me that if it is straight forward it can be sorted out really quickly! Please can anyone answer these 2 important questions based on my circumstances:
(1) Can I make an application for naturalisation - got my ILR on 26 Feb 2018, I am married to a British citizen? Yes, assuming you meet all the standard conditions, including permitted absence in the 3 year qualifying period etc.
(2) Or am I supposed to wait for 12 months before I make this application? No
Any advice is really appreciated.
Thank you
Ramya Kumar
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

homola
Newly Registered
Zimbabwe

Post by homola » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:59 pm

Hi!
I am in a similar position and my question is who has to wait for 12 months? Is the 12 months for people applying for a British passport?

I didn't need an english test when I applied for my ILR after discretionary leave, do i need it now and how and where do I book it?

Thanking you in advance😁

Hstepper07
Nigeria

Post by Hstepper07 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:29 am

homola wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:59 pm
Hi!
I am in a similar position and my question is who has to wait for 12 months? Is the 12 months for people applying for a British passport?

I didn't need an english test when I applied for my ILR after discretionary leave, do i need it now and how and where do I book it?

Thanking you in advance😁
All applicants except for spouses of British Citizens need to have held a settled status for 12 months before applying for naturalization and not British passport.

All applicants need to meet the English language requirement except for applicants that are citizens of English speaking countries on the list below, aged 65 or over, unable to, because of a long-term physical or mental condition
Antigua and Barbuda
Australia
The Bahamas
Barbados
Belize
Canada
Dominica
Grenada
Guyana
Jamaica
New Zealand
Republic of Ireland (for citizenship only)
St Kitts and Nevis
St Lucia
St Vincent and the Grenadines
Trinidad and Tobago
USA

homola
Newly Registered
Zimbabwe

Post by homola » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:01 am

Thank you 😁
I have a 12 month wait, unfortunately.

Hstepper07
Nigeria

Post by Hstepper07 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:26 am

You are welcome. See approved English language test centres.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ebsite.pdf

homola
Newly Registered
Zimbabwe

Post by homola » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:01 pm

So helpful, thank you