ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

non-EU family members marriage less than 5 years

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

moonomid
Newly Registered
Germany

non-EU family members marriage less than 5 years

Post by moonomid » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:14 pm

Hi
I’m new here and I’ve searched through the forum but I couldn’t find my answer.
My girlfriend is Canadian and she has been living in UK since 2010, but unfortunately she can’t apply for settle in UK (after 5 years of working) due to changing her visa (tier 2 to tier 5 - Youth Mobility) and also settle long residence in 2020 due to more than 540 days outside of UK .

I’m from EEA but I’m not in UK now and I’m going to move to UK. If I find a job in UK and then we get married next year, can she apply for non-EEA family members residence card (although I've not lived in UK for 5 years)?
If yes then how many years should we together (or married) that can she apply it?

Thanks in advance

moonomid
Newly Registered
Germany

Re: non-EU family members marriage less than 5 years

Post by moonomid » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:42 pm

I mean : non EEA family member Permanent Residence Card

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:27 pm

Your wife would need to complete 5 years of residence as your family member before qualifying for Permanent Residence (PR) under EEA Regulations (as they stand pre-Brexit)
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

moonomid
Newly Registered
Germany

Post by moonomid » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:14 pm

Hi Casa
First thanks for your reply.
I have other questions :
1- After marriage, can she apply for EEA family member visa in UK (and for how long this visa valid ) ? ( she has a 2 years tier 5 youth mobility visa at the moment)
2-Is it possible to work with the new visa in UK, as a self employed? Can she change her job easily? (not the same problem as tier 2)
3- is the visa valid after Brexit?

Thanks again :wink:

talatsiddiqui
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by talatsiddiqui » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:04 pm

After the marriage to you she could apply for a 5 year residence card based on yourself being her husband and qualified. This residence card will allow her to work and/or become self-employed.

I hope that helps