ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Divorce after ilr

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Malik03
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Divorce after ilr

Post by Malik03 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:33 am

Can you divorce your partner after ilr ? And marry to someone else?
Does this effect to British citizenship? Or does it effect your ILR?
I heard once your get ILR you are not dependant to any one ?

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Re: Divorce after ilr

Post by cyclina1 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:48 am

yes you can. you are not the dependent of your partner once you have ilr. it won't affect your BC application as well, no law forbidden you to divorce and marry with the other again. but In your BC application, they ask your marriage status. So you may not be allowed to apply BC right immediate you got your ilr if you divorce your british citizen partner. i just assume you got your ilr by spouse visa dependent on a BC partner.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.

Malik03
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by Malik03 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:55 am

Thank you

CMOSUK
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by CMOSUK » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:02 am

cyclina1 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:48 am
yes you can. you are not the dependent of your partner once you have ilr. it won't affect your BC application as well, no law forbidden you to divorce and marry with the other again. but In your BC application, they ask your marriage status. So you may not be allowed to apply BC right immediate you got your ilr if you divorce your british citizen partner. i just assume you got your ilr by spouse visa dependent on a BC partner.
They wont be under immigration control thats for sure, However, the only part of their BC application form it may effect is, and i assume they are married to a British citizen, they will not be able to apply for BC straight away and will have to wait 12 months before they can do so, not only that my understanding is, they will have needed 5 years residency in the UK before the wait period to be eligible to apply.

just in comparison, if they where, again i'am assuming, where married to a British citizen, my understanding is, they would need 3 years residency in the UK and can apply straight away for their BC application after they have received their ILR as the partner of a British citizen.
These are my 'views' and 'opinions'.
If in doubt always seek professional advice, or at least do a search for the relevant information. :P

If i make any mistakes, You are more than welcome to correct me.

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Post by cyclina1 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:12 am

"So you may not be allowed to apply BC right immediate you got your ilr if you divorce your british citizen partner."

Very clear explanation for my single sentence. I was just lazy and thanks.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.

CMOSUK
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by CMOSUK » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:21 am

cyclina1 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:12 am
"So you may not be allowed to apply BC right immediate you got your ilr if you divorce your british citizen partner."

Very clear explanation for my single sentence. I was just lazy and thanks.
Just to clarify i was not disputing what was stated by you but rather just trying to elaborate on the highlighted sentence in red, thats all.
These are my 'views' and 'opinions'.
If in doubt always seek professional advice, or at least do a search for the relevant information. :P

If i make any mistakes, You are more than welcome to correct me.