ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for naturalisation with newly issued passport that is less than 3 years old

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sharup
Newly Registered

Applying for naturalisation with newly issued passport that is less than 3 years old

Post by sharup » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:40 pm

Hi Guys,

Apologies if it's in the wrong section or if this kind of questions have already been asked. I did do a search and didn't seem to see any scenario similar to mine.

I am a British citizen and was considering applying for my wife's citizenship. However, I have a tricky situation with her passport.

Her previous passport expired and remained as expired for about 9 months before she renewed it again. To be honest none of us knew that the passport expired. Anyway, she has a newly issued passport now which is about 2.5 years old. So to summarise this: Prior to her getting a new passport she technically didn't have any valid travel document for about 9 months.

Now, according to this https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-c ... sh-citizen
( - you were in the UK exactly 3 years before the day the Home Office receives your application)
she has to prove that she's been living in the UK for at least three years. She's been in the country for about 9 years now. (I was too lazy to apply for her earlier. Don't judge me :))

However, looking at the application form, there's no mention of any previous passports. Which means I don't see any reason why I should include her previous expired passport with the application. Now this begs a question. If she has a valid passport which is 2.5 years old then where was she in the other 6 months during which period her passport was expired?

Now, if I do decide to apply for her now, instead of waiting until the current passport is 3 years old to avoid any complication, what sort of difficulties will I face? Surely they would want to know where she was before her valid passport and most probably would want her to prove that she was in the country. What sort of documents will she have to produce? Will this cause delays? I am more concerned about this part because I am not sure what valid documents will prove that she was living in the country. Even then what if they ask her to prove that she was in fact in the country for that missing 9 months. It's a bit messy.

Should I wait another 6 months and then apply, which would probably cause less hassle and less paper work to gather? If I don't include her previous passport will they ask her to send it to them?

What should I do? What would be a better option?

Many thanks for your time. Much appreciated. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

Kind regards.

shaneb
Newly Registered
South Africa

Re: Applying for naturalisation with newly issued passport that is less than 3 years old

Post by shaneb » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:47 pm

shaneb
Newly Registered
South Africa

Re: Applying for naturalisation with newly issued passport that is less than 3 years old

Post by shaneb » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:48 pm

I actually included my previous expired passport as well.

sharup
Newly Registered

Post by sharup » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:02 pm

Thanks guys.

Just as I thought it would complicate the process. My wife didn't work during that absence period so she can't provide any payslip or anything. Not sure what else I can use to prove her residency. The last resort, as they mentioned, is doctors letters.

Looks like it's better to wait for another 6 months. Do you think I should still include her previous passport even if I apply when the new passport is 3 years+ old?

Regards.

shaneb
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by shaneb » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:12 pm

My feeling is if you include old and new passports, the proof that she was in the uk is evident as you can’t travel without a valid passport if non-EU

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Post by cyclina1 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:38 pm

Has your wife got ILR yet?

sharup wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:40 pm
Hi Guys,

Apologies if it's in the wrong section or if this kind of questions have already been asked. I did do a search and didn't seem to see any scenario similar to mine.

I am a British citizen and was considering applying for my wife's citizenship. However, I have a tricky situation with her passport.

Her previous passport expired and remained as expired for about 9 months before she renewed it again. To be honest none of us knew that the passport expired. Anyway, she has a newly issued passport now which is about 2.5 years old. So to summarise this: Prior to her getting a new passport she technically didn't have any valid travel document for about 9 months.

( - you were in the UK exactly 3 years before the day the Home Office receives your application)
she has to prove that she's been living in the UK for at least three years. She's been in the country for about 9 years now. (I was too lazy to apply for her earlier. Don't judge me :))

However, looking at the application form, there's no mention of any previous passports. Which means I don't see any reason why I should include her previous expired passport with the application. Now this begs a question. If she has a valid passport which is 2.5 years old then where was she in the other 6 months during which period her passport was expired?

Now, if I do decide to apply for her now, instead of waiting until the current passport is 3 years old to avoid any complication, what sort of difficulties will I face? Surely they would want to know where she was before her valid passport and most probably would want her to prove that she was in the country. What sort of documents will she have to produce? Will this cause delays? I am more concerned about this part because I am not sure what valid documents will prove that she was living in the country. Even then what if they ask her to prove that she was in fact in the country for that missing 9 months. It's a bit messy.

Should I wait another 6 months and then apply, which would probably cause less hassle and less paper work to gather? If I don't include her previous passport will they ask her to send it to them?

Many thanks for your time. Much appreciated. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

Kind regards.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.

sharup
Newly Registered

Post by sharup » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:37 am

shaneb wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:12 pm
My feeling is if you include old and new passports, the proof that she was in the uk is evident as you can’t travel without a valid passport if non-EU
No, not quite. NCS guys told is not proof enough. You still need to provide sufficient evidence.

sharup
Newly Registered

Post by sharup » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:38 am

cyclina1 wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:38 pm
Has your wife got ILR yet?

sharup wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:40 pm
Hi Guys,

Kind regards.
Yeah. She has her IRL. Got it quite long time ago.