ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK passport application - original passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MrX
Newly Registered
Bulgaria

UK passport application - original passport

Post by MrX » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:07 pm

Hello forum,

I understand that to apply for first UK passport after naturalization, one must send the original non-UK passport as per the below guidance (if applying in the UK):

"Any other uncancelled passports relating to you"

It might be possible to get away with a colour copy of the passport but it seems this option is only possible if one is applying outside of the UK.

Is there a way around this, i.e. not sending the original passport? I will need it back approximately 3 weeks after the passport application is made for long travels and 3 weeks is not enough time to get the passport back with a reasonable degree of certainty (it might or it might not work). Any solutions / ideas here?

Much appreciated.

Hstepper07
Nigeria

Re: UK passport application - original passport

Post by Hstepper07 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:28 am

MrX wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:07 pm
Hello forum,

I understand that to apply for first UK passport after naturalization, one must send the original non-UK passport as per the below guidance (if applying in the UK):

"Any other uncancelled passports relating to you"

It might be possible to get away with a colour copy of the passport but it seems this option is only possible if one is applying outside of the UK.

Is there a way around this, i.e. not sending the original passport? I will need it back approximately 3 weeks after the passport application is made for long travels and 3 weeks is not enough time to get the passport back with a reasonable degree of certainty (it might or it might not work). Any solutions / ideas here?

Much appreciated.
I think the only way is to apply for British passport together with naturalization at NCS and you get to keep your passport. Applying for British passport separately after naturalization takes about 6 weeks and you have to submit originals.

MrX
Newly Registered
Bulgaria

Re: UK passport application - original passport

Post by MrX » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:44 am

Thank you.

I am wondering then if I should apply "ouside of UK" during my travels and send them a colour copy only. Is that what HMPO means by outside of UK? Or if your permanent address is based in the UK you can't do that.