ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Absent 121 days in last 12 months - compassionate reasons

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

skindai
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Absent 121 days in last 12 months - compassionate reasons

Post by skindai » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:47 am

Hello

Could somebody advise if it is viable to apply for a UK Citizenship if I have been absent from UK for more than 90 days due to compassionate reasons? My dad passed away last year, so I spent a lot of time home caring for him and then my mother who was also in the hospital around the same time. I can gather sufficient information to prove this and get it translated, but is it actually sufficient?

I am a EU citizen, don't have a family here and don't own a property in UK. I have lived and worked in UK full time for 13 years and all my savings are held in a UK bank account, and I do consider UK my home. I guess it comes down to the definition of what an "established life in UK" means. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Inese

muraenidae

Re: Absent 121 days in last 12 months - compassionate reasons

Post by muraenidae » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:46 am

Hi Inese! Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question.

But I wanted to ask whether it might be an option to just delay your application for a couple of months, until your absences in the last 12 months have dropped to below 90? How long would you have to wait for this, and are you in a hurry to get citizenship?

It might be easier to just wait a couple of months than go through the trouble of proving the reasons, translating the documents etc?

skindai
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by skindai » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:24 pm

Hi Muraenidae

Thank you for the response.

The earliest that I can apply would be November. I have an opportunity to work abroad for a year or 2 through my employer and would then want to come back to UK as I consider it my home, but if I leave now, I will loose the 13 years residence and would need to start from scratch to complete the citizenship.

I know it is not going to be easy, but I was wondering whether anyone else has had an experience of providing proof for the absence of more than 90 days due to compassionate reasons.

Thank you

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Post by cyclina1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:13 pm

i don't think the HO will give discretion because of this unsolid working plan, the HO has no compassion as well, in most of the case.

They can give discretion (not 100%) if your job can be fulfilled only if you granted the citizenship.

In your case, as you have PR, and if you will be back a year or 2 later and stay in the UK as permanent home, they will ask you to apply return resident VISA thus you can have PR status again once you return from abroad.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Post by cyclina1 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:35 pm

I don't want to discourage you but if you don't have family here.... (1) the presence of family in the UK, the HO very likely cannot give discretion. There are two "AND", that mean all three has to be fulfilled. So if you just rent, you cannot fulfill the last "substantial part of your estate" as well....
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Post by cyclina1 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:38 pm

skindai wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:24 pm
Hi Muraenidae

Thank you for the response.

The earliest that I can apply would be November. I have an opportunity to work abroad for a year or 2 through my employer and would then want to come back to UK as I consider it my home, but if I leave now, I will loose the 13 years residence and would need to start from scratch to complete the citizenship.

I know it is not going to be easy, but I was wondering whether anyone else has had an experience of providing proof for the absence of more than 90 days due to compassionate reasons.

Thank you
And you must also have a residential address for your application, you cannot submit your form and leave the country for work but having no home address in the UK.... so the best is discuss with your boss, if he can send you after you have citizenship