ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proof of Cohabitation when Tier 2 Dependent Applying for ILR on her own

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shinhwa
China

Proof of Cohabitation when Tier 2 Dependent Applying for ILR on her own

Post by shinhwa » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:22 pm

Hi all, I am a Tier 2 dependant, my husband has got his ILR already, so I am going to apply for my ILR on my own. But I am not quite sure about how to prepare the proofs of cohabitation, could you please give me your experiences and advises. Many thanks.

1. how my documents do I need to prepare if I am not applying for ILR as the same time with a main migrant.

2. does every month in the last 2 years need to be covered by every document? For example, I can provide council tax bills for last 2 years, but a home office letter only shows one date on it, which obviously can not cover any more days than the date shown on it.

3. I dont have many proof, I heard from other friend, a driving licence can also be fine as a proof. But if I apply for my ILR via post, I do not think my licence should be sent away.

I will be very much appreciated if any one here give me any help.

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Re: Proof of Cohabitation when Tier 2 Dependent Applying for ILR on her own

Post by cyclina1 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:55 pm

my wife also applied ILR 5 months after I got mine. Below were what I sent -

1. passports of both of us: a cover letter told the caseworker that we always travelled together, evidenced by stamp on our passports, with the photos taken during the trips.

2. 5 years bank statements both of us (some are requested from bank, as I use paperless): a cover letter told the caseworker that I provided maintenance to my wife with money regularly (highlight the transaction).

3. council tax bill with both of our names.

4. Tenancy agreements with both of our names.

5. Leasehold tenancy with both of our names (strong financial tie together).

6. My wife's online shopping record print out: 2-3 per year. (a cover letter told caseworker that the delivery address is our home and also highlight the transaction in the bank statement; thus this is not possible to make fake).

So basically evidences to show the financial tie with me and some daily activities like online shopping to confirm the cohabitant is genuine.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Post by cyclina1 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:05 pm

Also beware of this -

You must also have been living with your partner in the UK for at least:

2 years if you applied for your current visa before 9 July 2012
5 years if you applied for your current visa on or after 9 July 2012

When you apply for settlement, you and your partner must:

be living together in your own accommodation
not be using public funds

As you mentioned 2 years, are you first applied your Tier2 dependent before 9 JULY 2012??

If not, you need to show 5 years evidences.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.

shinhwa
China

Post by shinhwa » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:30 pm

cyclina1 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:05 pm
Also beware of this -

You must also have been living with your partner in the UK for at least:

2 years if you applied for your current visa before 9 July 2012
5 years if you applied for your current visa on or after 9 July 2012

When you apply for settlement, you and your partner must:

be living together in your own accommodation
not be using public funds

As you mentioned 2 years, are you first applied your Tier2 dependent before 9 JULY 2012??

If not, you need to show 5 years evidences.
Hello Cyclina1, many thanks for you reply me again!

My visa was applied after July 2012. But I have talked to an immigration adviser about this, and the answer was proofs covering last 2 years is enough, but the qualifying period must fulfill 5 years. But as your asking, I am getting confused now... :shock: Can anyone else here share opinions too?! :!: :!: :!:

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Post by cyclina1 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:49 pm

you should ask your advisor that what is his/her source for the information 2 years are enough.

what I quote is from the UNVI website! I anticipate that you don't need too much evidences for the first 2-3 years, but you still need something to cover all 5 years.

shinhwa
China

Post by shinhwa » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:09 pm

cyclina1 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:49 pm
you should ask your advisor that what is his/her source for the information 2 years are enough.

what I quote is from the UNVI website! I anticipate that you don't need too much evidences for the first 2-3 years, but you still need something to cover all 5 years.
I have a question. For bank statements, like I didn't open a bank account (neither others) after I entered UK immediately, but after a few months, then my bank statements can not be an evidence which cover 5 years.

I think the only thing that I enrolled super soon after I arrived in UK is the certificate of registration in police office. But is it okay that there's only one document covers 5 years in my proofs?

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Post by cyclina1 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:13 pm

shinhwa wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:09 pm
cyclina1 wrote:

I have a question. For bank statements, like I didn't open a bank account (neither others) after I entered UK immediately, but after a few months, then my bank statements can not be an evidence which cover 5 years.

I think the only thing that I enrolled super soon after I arrived in UK is the certificate of registration in police office. But is it okay that there's only one document covers 5 years in my proofs?
That's ok! I also submitted this, but how about council tax bill, or tenancy agreement?

shinhwa
China

Post by shinhwa » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:29 pm

cyclina1 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:13 pm
shinhwa wrote:
cyclina1 wrote:

That's ok! I also submitted this, but how about council tax bill, or tenancy agreement?
how silly I was! I didn't register anything under my name including any bank account immediately after my arrival. Even a GP registration, I did it until I found unwell one day.

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Post by cyclina1 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:55 pm

shinhwa wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:29 pm
cyclina1 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:13 pm
shinhwa wrote:
cyclina1 wrote:

how silly I was! I didn't register anything under my name including any bank account immediately after my arrival. Even a GP registration, I did it until I found unwell one day.
so when is your earliest council tax bill or tenancy agreement with both your name and your partner?

FKO
Newly Registered
Mood:
Brazil

Post by FKO » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:37 am

Hello,

My wife is in a similar scenario and maybe worst as she doesn't have a bank account since she arrived. So very few evidences...

I am planning to put whatever I can to prove we were living under the same roof for the entire 5 yrs period. Letters from my landlord and agency, NHS, bills with our names, english school letter, etc. Will collect whatever I can. I guess the main concern of the Home Office is to make sure the relationship is real and we intend to live together in UK in future...I think all the original letters from trustable entities that you could collect are very important.

Quick question about when to apply, as you may be under the same scenario...did you wait to complete the exact 5 years living together or can you also consider 28 days before completing the 5 yrs like the rule of 5 yrs being in UK?

I came to UK 7 months before my wife to organise the grounds and applying separate have always being a concern to me...

Hope this help and you can help me.