ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

quit while on work permit - can i work in grace period?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

swanhen
Newly Registered

quit while on work permit - can i work in grace period?

Post by swanhen » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:37 pm

I am currently on a work permit. I would like to quit my current position and get another company to sponsor my work permit.
After I have left the employ of my current company and my work permit application has been made, can I work for the new company before the work permit has been approved?
Or can I only work for the new company once this new work permit has been approved?

WoodieG
BANNED

Post by WoodieG » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:25 pm

Only when the new wp is approved can you start working for the new employer.
________
COACH PURSES
Last edited by WoodieG on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:16 pm

Please, please, consider and review your options before taking any action.

Based on the regulations, your Entry Clearance (UK Visa) is only valid during the "validity period" and while you are working for your sponsor on the particular role that the Work Permit was granted.

If you resign, the WP is no longer valid, hence the Entry Clearance is no longer valid and you should/must leave the UK within 28 days or get another WP and EC.

Ideally you should only resign once the new WP has been granted, if you have problems with the WP application and you resigned you could be in trouble. Wait until the WP is in your hands and resign that day if you want....
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

swanhen
Newly Registered

Post by swanhen » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:25 pm

try-one wrote: Ideally you should only resign once the new WP has been granted, if you have problems with the WP application and you resigned you could be in trouble. Wait until the WP is in your hands and resign that day if you want....
So it's possible for the future company to apply for a working permit, even though you still have an active working permit at another company?
Will they not want a reference letter from your current company for the work permit application?

Is it normally a fast process to do a second work permit application while you are a holder of an existing work permit? I remember that my first work permit took a while...

neilroy

Post by neilroy » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:05 pm

Yes it is very well posiible for the second comapany to apply for a work permit while working for another company. I have done this before. The application process takes the same time .