ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Official - changes for visa apps received after 27 Feb 08

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Richter

Official - changes for visa apps received after 27 Feb 08

Post by Richter » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:16 am

Further to my earlier post re article in Financial Post about gov to slash visa backlog. Thought it is worth starting a new thread as it is now official rather than speculation.

In last hours, CIC has said that, once passed, changes to visa processing will affect applications received after 27th February 2008 in an attempt to reduce backlog.

See this from CIC

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/about/laws-policy/irpa.asp

No doubt details of the changes will emerge soon.

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:13 pm

Richter, what do you think the changes will be? This is good news though that it will not affect those who submitted b4 Feb 27th, unlike the UK.
How do you think this change will affect the waiting time?
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

Richter

Post by Richter » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:18 pm

It's really hard to tell. Those applied between Sept 07 and Feb 08 are currently still looking at around a five years wait, but don't forget, this latest announcement is part of the plan announced in the federal budget to overhaul the immigration service and reduce waiting times, so they could well introduce other measures to reduce the wait for these people at some stage.

For those applying after 27 Feb 08 ... well, very uncertain. Either points rise or more selective about occupations to meet Canada's needs? Just guessing here.

At present it is all speculation as to how this will go. I am sure there will be more info announced in coming weeks. Good idea to keep an eye on the CIC site. I hope they give more info soon. I am sure there are a lot of people who will find this latest announcement quite stressful.

Richter

Post by Richter » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:20 am

For SW applications received after 27 Feb 2008, here are the first proposed changes:

'Anyone will still be able to apply, but CIC would no longer be required to process all new applications. The new provisions would allow the Department to select among the new applications and choose those that best meet Canada’s labour market needs. Under the current system, which is much less flexible, CIC processes applications from skilled workers in the order in which they are received.'

Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/about/laws ... stions.asp

Immigration_facts
BANNED

Post by Immigration_facts » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:06 am

Hi there,

Good discussion.

For further information, visit:

-> Announcements -> Policy change regarding member websites
-> Announcements -> using this forum to solicit for or promote personal business

Good luck.

anothertrekker
Newly Registered

Has my application been accepted then?

Post by anothertrekker » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:43 am

"...Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will no longer be required to process all new applications."

Have been reading CIC's website regarding the changes. The statement above confuses me. My application was received on 10 March. I checked the status of my application on CIC & it stated "In process". Does that mean the embassy has accepted my application & will process it? Any chances of them deciding not to process my application a few years down the road since they are not required to process all new applications?

Richter

Post by Richter » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:22 am

The online client status will show 'In process' once the application is in the system (ie you get the immigration file no). It means they have accepted your money and initial form and that they will look at it again around about the time they give you on the AOR.

If these changes to the immigration system go through, then yes, it does sound like post Feb 08 applications they could look at it in x years time and decide whether or not to process. Don't forget, these changes have not yet been accepted though.

Just a point - many people who have had an AOR get a message on the online status tool saying that the are not yet on the system. This is likely because they are putting in UK as place of birth and should be putting in England/Scotland etc.

patiala_guy
Newly Registered

Application Filing

Post by patiala_guy » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:30 pm

Hi

I am in process of filing for PR application as skilled worker at Buffalo. In view of current situation where the new rules are already applicable but not yet public, please suggest if I should wait for CIC to publish new rules before applying. I am an IT professional and qualify under existing point system. Any idea by when these rules will be public?

One more question if I apply now, and later because of some xyz rule (say my profession is not one of the top priority) they decide not to process my application , will they return my application fee?

Richter

Post by Richter » Thu May 01, 2008 8:16 am

Personally I would have thought qualified IT professionals are likely to be on any list they refer to post Feb.

If you apply anyway, under the current rules you can get a refund if they have not started processing your application.

If the new rules come into force, I doubt you will get a refund if they have looked at the application - don't know and CIC is not giving much away at this time.

You might find these news and Q&A links useful in the CIC website. This is all the info available at this time. The changes are a bit of a political hot potato at the moment.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department ... y/irpa.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department ... stions.asp

wimmigration
Newly Registered

Post by wimmigration » Wed May 07, 2008 4:43 pm

Hi there,

Good discussion.

For further information, visit:

http://fastimmigration.blogspot.com

Good luck to all.