ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English language test -General training instead of A1?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

azmalta
Newly Registered
Ukraine

English language test -General training instead of A1?

Post by azmalta » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Hi

I am applying for the Spouse visa in July after my husband completes 6 months in continuous employment in the UK, in the meantime I live in Malta with our British born son and my Ukrainian daughter - as my husband is dual Maltese and British.

My question:

In Malta the only date showing on the British council IELTS for the English A1 test in in September 2018!!! however there is availability to do the Academic or General training test on several dates from May-June , ie well in time for our application.

Would the UKVI accept the Academic or General test instead of the A1 - considering it is harder and includes both written and reading exercises on top of the listening and speaking, sense says that they should - but this is the UKVI so all sense is thrown out of the window!

any thoughts?

O

Londoner007
Diamond Member

Re: English language test -General training instead of A1?

Post by Londoner007 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:43 pm

Strictly IELTS Speaking and Listening A1 ONLY. Try find a different learning centre that does have availability.
Verily, After Hardship Comes Ease

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:47 pm

I am sure you must already know that Malta is an EU country and if you have its nationality then you can enter freely without visa. If you are no Maltese national then you will need spouse visa. And regarding English language there must certainly be arrangements made by British council to do A1 test on priority basis as September is too far.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Butterflywings
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Butterflywings » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:48 pm

azmalta wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:28 pm
Hi

I am applying for the Spouse visa in July after my husband completes 6 months in continuous employment in the UK, in the meantime I live in Malta with our British born son and my Ukrainian daughter - as my husband is dual Maltese and British.

My question:

In Malta the only date showing on the British council IELTS for the English A1 test in in September 2018!!! however there is availability to do the Academic or General training test on several dates from May-June , ie well in time for our application.

Would the UKVI accept the Academic or General test instead of the A1 - considering it is harder and includes both written and reading exercises on top of the listening and speaking, sense says that they should - but this is the UKVI so all sense is thrown out of the window!

any thoughts?

O
We know someone who applied with IELTS ACADEMIC and had a score of 8 bands. The applicant was a university assistant professor. The visa was REFUSED saying that it is not a UKVI exam at level A1. They lost their appeal too as judge said the IELTS website and visa policy clearly say that no exam other than UKVI A1 can be used after this date(i cant remember the date) for spouse entry clearance. So like others have already said, DO NOT use anything other than A1.

Katie_France
Russia

Post by Katie_France » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:43 am

I submitted IELTS for UKVI General with my previous application, but I didn’t state the ielts test UKVI number in my application. At the very beginning I couldn’t understand why I was refused.

However, through later communication with MP, HO clearly wrote that they refused not because of the test but because I didn’t state UKVI number in the application.

So you can pass Ielts for UKVI Academic or General, as long as it’s IELTS for UKVI.

Londoner007
Diamond Member

Post by Londoner007 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:40 am

Anyone foolish enough to risk it, go for it.
Verily, After Hardship Comes Ease

Katie_France
Russia

Post by Katie_France » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:26 am

Londoner007, that’s is just what the response from HO was. IELTS for UKVI is suitable as long as you include IELTS for UKVI number in your application.

azmalta
Newly Registered
Ukraine

Post by azmalta » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:34 pm

Dear All, thank you for all your input.

I heard back form the British council test centre here in Malta and they said they only do the A1 test every 6 months! so the next one is in September as British Council staff fly in for the test. They suggested I fly to Rome and do it there!!

oh dear...........

azmalta
Newly Registered
Ukraine

Post by azmalta » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:40 pm

I just again carefully read the UKVI spouse visa english language requirement:

"You can prove your knowledge of English by passing an approved English language test with at least a CEFR level A1 in speaking and listening
."

the ''at least'' part is what I picked up on?

humbleguy
Mood:
Afghanistan

Post by humbleguy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:54 pm

Clearly states you could sit a general exam and it would be accepted
https://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/ielts-ukvi/score

azmalta
Newly Registered
Ukraine

Post by azmalta » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:06 pm

humble guy you star! i did not see that!! indeed it does clearly state as note 2

"2 IELTS for UKVI can be used where IELTS Life Skills is used; test takers would need to get 4.0 or above in Speaking and Listening (scores for Reading and Writing will be ignored).''

Thanks for that spot!

O

Katie_France
Russia

Post by Katie_France » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:27 pm

Make sure it is IELTS for UKVI not just general, and don’t forget to include test’s UKVI number in the application - how did you meet English language requirements?
azmalta wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:06 pm
humble guy you star! i did not see that!! indeed it does clearly state as note 2

"2 IELTS for UKVI can be used where IELTS Life Skills is used; test takers would need to get 4.0 or above in Speaking and Listening (scores for Reading and Writing will be ignored).''

Thanks for that spot!

O

metanoia
Pakistan

Post by metanoia » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:59 pm

azmalta wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:06 pm

Thanks for that spot!

O
I think you've missed the point in discussion that even IELTS for UKVI will only be available in September 18 so waiting time would still be the same.
Biometrics Karachi 04/08/17
Decision received 11/10 (Visa refused on subsisting relationship)
Acknowledgment 18/12/17
Deadline 02/04/18
Decision withdrawn 26/02/18
Decision overturned 29/03/18
PP submitted 3/4/18
Visa granted 9/4/18

Katie_France
Russia

Post by Katie_France » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:49 am

Azmalta, metanoia is right.

You can’t just take General Ielts, it should be ielts for ukvi, which is also available only in September in Malta. So you have to book your exam somewhere else.

azmalta
Newly Registered
Ukraine

Post by azmalta » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:39 pm

..........yes i see that now:(

well, the nearest is in Rome, its just a hassle as we have our 3 year old son, daughter who is 8 in school and my husband is in UK in a new job qualifying us.....

We had a discussion about this new revelation re exam dates and i think its the final nail in the coffin for us, we are more and more now thinking to just wait until November when we are 5 years married and apply for my Maltese citizenship which i should be granted by dec/jan. Then go to uk as a eu citizen which is fine until 2021 (re brexit)...

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:10 pm

azmalta wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:39 pm

well, the nearest is in Rome, its just a hassle as we have our 3 year old son, daughter who is 8 in school and my husband is in UK in a new job qualifying us.....

We had a discussion about this new revelation re exam dates and i think its the final nail in the coffin for us, we are more and more now thinking to just wait until November when we are 5 years married and apply for my Maltese citizenship which i should be granted by dec/jan. Then go to uk as a eu citizen which is fine until 2021 (re brexit)...
Yes it's a good cost effective strategy. Keep an eye on brexit news. Maybe some transition arrangements take place and you get benefited.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Butterflywings
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Butterflywings » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:27 pm

azmalta wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:39 pm

This sounds much better option to me personally.