ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Wife's ILR but no employment status

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Wattson
Newly Registered
India

Wife's ILR but no employment status

Post by Wattson » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:53 pm

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if you could help. Me and my wife got ILR at same time and after one year we want to apply for BC. She came on dependent visa but she didn't work as full time, she registered as self employee and submitted her tax returns though she did have low income and nothing to pay for tax. What documents do you need to show for her employment plus supporting documents?

Twine
United Kingdom

Re: Wife's ILR but no employment status

Post by Twine » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:13 pm

Hi Wattson,

Being employed is NOT a requirement for naturalisation.

As the spouse of a non-British citizen, your wife needs to wait until she has held ILR for 12 months. Then she can apply for naturalisation. She could have been unemployed for her entire time in the UK and it would not be an issue.

However, both you and your wife need to meet the Good Character requirements and show proof of residence in the UK for the last 5 years.

Good luck with your applications.

Cheers,
Twine

Wattson
Newly Registered
India

Post by Wattson » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:30 pm

Thanks, She has already ILR for more then 12 months. Can you please list of documents which she need, so far i know.
1. Life in UK
2. English language
3. Passport
4.ILR BRP card
5.Pictures
6.Signature from reference

anything else?

Hstepper07
Nigeria

Post by Hstepper07 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:26 pm

Wattson wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:30 pm
Thanks, She has already ILR for more then 12 months. Can you please list of documents which she need, so far i know.
1. Life in UK
2. English language
3. Passport
4.ILR BRP card
5.Pictures

anything else?

Wattson
Newly Registered
India

Post by Wattson » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:08 pm

Any other document please?

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by dontringthebell » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:53 pm

Although being employed is not a requirement for BC, if self employed even though you aren't eligible to pay tax you must complete annual returns etc, I say this because good character requirements are quite vague or broad in scope. Further a self employed person is recorded with HMRC companies House etc which would come up when they do the "relevant checks" anyway.

I was unemployed my entire 5 month eligible period for BC and didn't have any issues, though still had to provide all information (not documentation) for past 10 years work from date of application.

Hence would suggest to mention her work and carry the relevant docs if using NCS, more often then not they would be returned.
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI

Twine
United Kingdom

Post by Twine » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:11 am

Wattson wrote:
1. Life in UK
2. English language
3. Passport
4.ILR BRP card
5.Pictures

anything else?
As recommended by the Home Office, you should refer to Guide AN and Booklet AN before applying for naturalisation.

If you read through the Guide, pages 3 to 12 run through the supplemental information required for each section of the (paper) application. Then, pages 12 to 16 in Guide AN state all the documents you need to include depending on your situation.

Hope this helps.

Hstepper07
Nigeria

Post by Hstepper07 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:00 pm

Wattson wrote:
1. Life in UK
2. English language
3. Passport
4.ILR BRP card
5.Pictures

anything else?
Dont forget that passport covering the last 5 yrs