ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Knowledge of the English language

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

UKVisit
India

Knowledge of the English language

Post by UKVisit » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:38 pm

Hello Dear,

I tried to look in previous posts however it seems last post in this section is back from 2015 while there seems changes in rules.

During my Tier 1 application point based calculator of UKBA- English language section I selected below.

I have a qualification that was taught in English.

During my ILR application in Jun 2014 under "Knowledge of English" section, I selected answer below. It was

I have already Proven my English language skills in a previous Tier 1 or HSMP application

Now I am not planning for Naturalisation application and bit confused what should I be doing under "Knowledge of the English Language". Do they mean ILR as settlement? Would it work or do I need to provide some extra evidences for it now during naturalisation? Do I need to give B1 level test? Please advise.

Have you met the requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013? (Required)
Applicants who applied for, and obtained, settlement on or after the 28th October 2013 using an English language qualification at level B1 or above can use this as evidence of their knowledge of English language. However if this qualification was not used and accepted for their settlement application, it cannot be used for this application.

Thanks
Manish

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Knowledge of the English language

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:40 pm

ILR = Settlement
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

UKVisit
India

Post by UKVisit » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:52 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:40 pm
ILR = Settlement
Thanks for confirming about settlement. As my ILR was after Oct 2013, would my previous English Language qualification (Degree taught in english and proven during initial Tier 1) will work?

Do I need to get any additional document regarding it or not?

Applicants who applied for, and obtained, settlement on or after the 28th October 2013 using an English language qualification at level B1 or above can use this as evidence of their knowledge of English language. However if this qualification was not used and accepted for their settlement application, it cannot be used for this application.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:54 pm

You tick the relevant block re. ILR after Oct 2013.

Bear in mind that HO can and often do ask for evidence of level B1 language test or UK NARIC if relevant.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

UKVisit
India

Post by UKVisit » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:32 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:54 pm
You tick the relevant block re. ILR after Oct 2013.

Bear in mind that HO can and often do ask for evidence of level B1 language test or UK NARIC if relevant.
Thanks for your email. As for ILR earlier it was point based calculator which was connected to their database which was checking your university and showing it is among universities listed for them. Would it be sufficient or do you need something explicit from UK NARIC now?

Have an original degree certificate that was taught or researched in a non-majority English speaking country and: o an Academic Qualification Level Statement (AQUALS) from UK NARIC confirming the qualification is equivalent to a UK qualification
and
o an English Language Proficiency Statement (ELPS) from UK NARIC showing that your degree was taught in English.

cyclina1
Hong Kong

Post by cyclina1 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:30 am

The result from the point based calculator cannot be used anymore, although it proved your engish when you granted limited leave. Now you must be certified through NARIC or just sit a B1 test.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice.

UKVisit
India

Post by UKVisit » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:47 pm

cyclina1 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:30 am
The result from the point based calculator cannot be used anymore, although it proved your engish when you granted limited leave. Now you must be certified through NARIC or just sit a B1 test.
When I am filling Form AN Application Form (Version 02/18), There are following options.

Knowledge of language/life in the UK
1.22 How do you intend to satisfy the requirement to have sufficient knowledge of language
and life in the UK? See pages 12 to 16 in the accompanying Booklet AN.
I have passed the Life in the UK test and attach confirmation:
The test number is:
And either
I have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, that is on
the Home Office’s list of recognised tests and was taken at an approved test centre (go to
question 1.23).
Or
I have obtained an academic qualification (Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD) in the
United Kingdom.
Or
I have obtained an original degree certificate that was taught or researched in a majority
English speaking country and:
• an Academic Qualification Level Statement (AQUALS) from UK NARIC confirming the
qualification is equivalent to a UK qualification
Or
an original degree certificate that was taught or researched in a non-majority English
speaking country and both:
• an Academic Qualification Level Statement (AQUALS) from UK NARIC confirming the
• English Language Proficiency Statement (ELPS) from UK NARIC showing that the degree
was taught in English
Or
I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013.
Or
I am a national of a majority English speaking country. (You must check the list of
acceptable countries that are considered “a majority English speaking country”, to meet
this requirement).
Or
I wish to claim exemption on the basis of my age.
Or
I wish to claim an exemption on the basis of a physical and/or mental condition (applying
on this basis may not automatically lead to exemption. You should provide reasons on
page 22. Your application may fail and the fee retained if sufficient reasons for exemption
are not provided).
Further guidance about the knowledge of language and life in the UK requirement can be found
in the Guide and Booklet AN that accompanies this form. Additional information can also be
found on our website.

I fall in the category "I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013." Do I still need to go for B1 or NARIC way?

UKVisit
India

Post by UKVisit » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:42 am

UKVisit wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:47 pm
cyclina1 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:30 am
When I am filling Form AN Application Form (Version 02/18), There are following options.

Knowledge of language/life in the UK
1.22 How do you intend to satisfy the requirement to have sufficient knowledge of language
and life in the UK? See pages 12 to 16 in the accompanying Booklet AN.
I have passed the Life in the UK test and attach confirmation:
The test number is:
And either
I have a speaking and listening qualification in English at B1 CEFR or higher, that is on
the Home Office’s list of recognised tests and was taken at an approved test centre (go to
question 1.23).
Or
I have obtained an academic qualification (Bachelor’s or Master’s degree or PhD) in the
United Kingdom.
Or
I have obtained an original degree certificate that was taught or researched in a majority
English speaking country and:
Or
an original degree certificate that was taught or researched in a non-majority English
speaking country and both:
• English Language Proficiency Statement (ELPS) from UK NARIC showing that the degree
was taught in English
Or
I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013.
Or
I am a national of a majority English speaking country. (You must check the list of
acceptable countries that are considered “a majority English speaking country”, to meet
this requirement).
Or
I wish to claim exemption on the basis of my age.
Or
I wish to claim an exemption on the basis of a physical and/or mental condition (applying
on this basis may not automatically lead to exemption. You should provide reasons on
page 22. Your application may fail and the fee retained if sufficient reasons for exemption
are not provided).
Further guidance about the knowledge of language and life in the UK requirement can be found
in the Guide and Booklet AN that accompanies this form. Additional information can also be
found on our website.

I fall in the category "I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013." Do I still need to go for B1 or NARIC way?
Do anyone have idea about it? Do I still need some B1 test or NARIC documents with Option "I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013."?

UKVisit
India

Post by UKVisit » Wed May 09, 2018 6:56 pm

Experts,

Do anyone have idea about it please? Do I still need some B1 test or NARIC documents with Option "I met the knowledge of language and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th October 2013."?

Thanks

UKVisit
India

Post by UKVisit » Wed May 09, 2018 6:59 pm

Hi All,

I can see that my condition is part of exempt list mentioned in the answer of Q2 in previous thread from 2015 "british-citizenship/faqs-english-langua ... 98118.html".

Just wondering if it still the same or not? Please advise.

Thanks

UKVisit
India

Post by UKVisit » Tue May 22, 2018 2:24 pm

Do anyone applied with option “I met the knowledge and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th Oct 2013”?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:36 pm

Yes many have and HO can and do still ask for evidence of meeting LIUK or English language test. A member posted in the last couple of days that they had been asked for proof as their previous test had expired even though the test was used for ILR in 2015.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by dontringthebell » Tue May 22, 2018 2:41 pm

UKVisit wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 2:24 pm
Do anyone applied with option “I met the knowledge and life requirement to qualify for settlement on or after 28th Oct 2013”?
We (myself & my wife) used this option for our succesful naturalization application made last year in September 2017.

We were on Tier 2G Dependent & Tier 2 General respectively, All through our immigration we never used NARIC, however for entry clearance and, extension and ILR we used point based calculators.

On the day of appointment, I was requested to provide additional information (degree transcript and Letter from University confirming medium of instruction were English) on behest of directions by HO to NCS staff attending to us. NCS staff wasn't sure and called HO on hotline during the appointment. Although I wasn't carrying the requested documents, I was given time as in to go back home and submit.

Hope it provides some perspective.
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI