ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 (G) extension and ILR queries

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

srsw

Tier 2 (G) extension and ILR queries

Post by srsw » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:41 pm

My Tier 2 general visa will expire end of this year (dates below), so just wanted some advice please...

Employment start and end dates in CoS:
Start date: 23 November 2015
End date: 22 November 2018

On BRP:
Date of issue: 18 Nov 2015
Valid until: 06 Dec 2018

Questions:
1. What should be the new CoS start date? 22 Nov 2018 or 06 Dec 2018?
2. Is it better to
a. go for 2 years CoS/Visa and then apply for ILR in Oct/Nov 2020 or
b. go for 3 year CoS/Visa and apply for ILR any time after Nov 2020, but before visa expires.

I have 3 dependants (wife and 2 kids) and I’ll apply for their visa along with my application.

Option (a) will save me a lot of money in terms of visa, IHS fee but need to apply for ILR absolutely on time and won’t have any wriggle room in case of issues.

Option (b) will cost me extra visa and IHS fee but with a lot of breathing space to reapply, etc. if needed.

Any other pros and cons of above options?
What do people general do as I'm sure this situation may be common for most of Tier 2 folks?

Appreciate your inputs.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Re: Tier 2 (G) extension and ILR queries

Post by Djsuccess » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:47 am

srsw wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:41 pm
My Tier 2 general visa will expire end of this year (dates below), so just wanted some advice please...

Employment start and end dates in CoS:
Start date: 23 November 2015
End date: 22 November 2018

On BRP:
Date of issue: 18 Nov 2015
Valid until: 06 Dec 2018

Questions:
1. What should be the new CoS start date? 22 Nov 2018 or 06 Dec 2018?
The start date and end dates on COS do not matter, it is the validity of your Visa on the BRP that counts at this point. You can apply for your extension three months before the validity date of 06 Dec 2018. The start date on the COS could be any date up to 06 Dec 2018.
2. Is it better to
a. go for 2 years CoS/Visa and then apply for ILR in Oct/Nov 2020 or

You will only save money on IHS but the application fee will be the same. But you stand a risk of not having enough time to complete 5 years depending on when you apply for the extension and the validity of the extension. And if you have the 5 years, it means there will not be enough flexibility when you want to apply for ILR

b. go for 3 year CoS/Visa and apply for ILR any time after Nov 2020, but before visa expires.

This is the best option. As you have noted, it gives you extra one year on top of your 5 years qualifying period. While this option will cost you more money, it gives more peace of mind. You can still apply for ILR in Oct/Nov 2020 as well but you will have the option of applying later if needed

I have 3 dependants (wife and 2 kids) and I’ll apply for their visa along with my application.

Option (a) will save me a lot of money in terms of visa, IHS fee but need to apply for ILR absolutely on time and won’t have any wriggle room in case of issues.

Option (b) will cost me extra visa and IHS fee but with a lot of breathing space to reapply, etc. if needed.

Any other pros and cons of above options?
What do people general do as I'm sure this situation may be common for most of Tier 2 folks?

There is no standard answer to this. People do want they feel comfortable to do. But I think most people would do the 3 years extension.
Appreciate your inputs.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

srsw

Post by srsw » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:05 am

Thanks Djsuccess.

Didn't realise that visa fee going to be same for 2 or 3 years. I know the application form gives upto 3 years option, but thought it will calculate fee according to CoS end date.

Yes, in that case it's just IHS (4x£200) I'm going to save, so better to go for 3 year option, which absolutely makes sense.

abbey_london
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by abbey_london » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:04 pm

The start date should be no later than the day after the last day of leave given on your visa.
In your case it should be 7 Dec 18 (see page 9 on the guidance link below)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-guide-8a

Also IHS has doubled to £400/imm/year.

Apply for 3 years.

BW

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:32 pm

abbey_london wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:04 pm
The start date should be no later than the day after the last day of leave given on your visa.
In your case it should be 7 Dec 18 (see page 9 on the guidance link below)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-guide-8a

Also IHS has doubled to £400/imm/year. Not yet it hasn't. The increase is expected in the Autumn this year, but there is no confirmed date.

Apply for 3 years.

BW
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

srsw

Post by srsw » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:43 pm

Thanks for additional details and sources abbey_london and Casa.

I was just Googling IHS increase news and looks like it may increase anytime later this year.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/heal ... 400-a-year

I'll keep a close eye on the date of the fee increase and see this hits me or not. Can't do much apart from saving more money for this whole process 😔

srsw

Post by srsw » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:04 pm

The amount of money required for Tier 2 extension for me & my dependants for 3 years with new IHS fee going to be (visa: 704×4)+(IHS:400×4×3yrs)= £7616 😥.

Premium service would cost: £10056 😭. Best to forget this option.

Gosh, everything saved so far is gonna go just for this. Shouldn't have thought about this before going to sleep....

Btw, no maintenance/finance required for ILR I believe? Need to start saving from now itself for ILR fee I guess 2389x4=£9556.

srsw

Post by srsw » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:00 pm

It's time for the extension, so appreciate any inputs on this query please..

1) My employer thinks they need to pay Immigration Skills Charge (ISC), however, when I read the "Tier 2 guidance for sponsors" https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -employers" it's mentioned that in page 20, under point 1.18 “You don’t have to pay the charge if you are sponsoring a worker who was sponsored in Tier 2 before 6 April 2017 and is applying from inside the UK to extend their Tier 2 stay with you “

Confusingly enough, in section 1.17, it's also mentioned that "For workers who need to make immigration applications from within the UK, you’ll have to pay if the worker is a national of a country outside the EEA and Switzerland".

So, which one applies to me (FYI, I'm a non-EEA national)? I'm with the same employer, same job/soc code and previous Tier 2 visa was sponsored before 6 April 2017.

Btw, on a positive note, IHS hasn't increased to £400 yet, so that's a good news.
My advice is based on personal research/experience, so pls check relevant UKVI sources.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:40 pm

srsw wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:00 pm
It's time for the extension, so appreciate any inputs on this query please..

1) My employer thinks they need to pay Immigration Skills Charge (ISC), however, when I read the "Tier 2 guidance for sponsors" https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -employers" it's mentioned that in page 20, under point 1.18 “You don’t have to pay the charge if you are sponsoring a worker who was sponsored in Tier 2 before 6 April 2017 and is applying from inside the UK to extend their Tier 2 stay with you “

Confusingly enough, in section 1.17, it's also mentioned that "For workers who need to make immigration applications from within the UK, you’ll have to pay if the worker is a national of a country outside the EEA and Switzerland".

So, which one applies to me (FYI, I'm a non-EEA national)? I'm with the same employer, same job/soc code and previous Tier 2 visa was sponsored before 6 April 2017.

Btw, on a positive note, IHS hasn't increased to £400 yet, so that's a good news.
1.17 very likely refers to applications within the UK from another visa to Tier 2, i.e. Tier 4 or Tier 1 switching to Tier 2.

In your case, it is not required as you are extending with the same employer.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

srsw

Post by srsw » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:27 pm

CR001 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:40 pm

1.17 very likely refers to applications within the UK from another visa to Tier 2, i.e. Tier 4 or Tier 1 switching to Tier 2.

In your case, it is not required as you are extending with the same employer.
Thanks a lot @CR001 for your response. I'll ask my employer to use the right form as they are currently planning to fill the "Tier and Category: Tier 2 (General - Extensions - ISC liable)". They may double check with UKVI just in case, however, it will save them £3K.

srsw

Post by srsw » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:01 pm

I've already provided my passport details, however, one of the question in the visa application is "Do you have a valid national identity card?" ... is it mandatory to provide any other Indian national identity (PAN card, Aadhar, etc.) or can we say No to that question, please?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:32 pm

srsw wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:01 pm
I've already provided my passport details, however, one of the question in the visa application is "Do you have a valid national identity card?" ... is it mandatory to provide any other Indian national identity (PAN card, Aadhar, etc.) or can we say No to that question, please?
Not required.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

srsw

Post by srsw » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:35 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:32 pm
Not required.
Thanks a lot @CR001 for your quick response.

srsw

Post by srsw » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:32 pm

Just wanted to convey my thanks to @Djsuccess @abbey_london @Casa and @CR001 for your valuable inputs and help.

Tier 2 visa successfully extended by another 3 years. Thank you 🙏

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:14 am

srsw wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:32 pm
Just wanted to convey my thanks to @Djsuccess @abbey_london @Casa and @CR001 for your valuable inputs and help.

Tier 2 visa successfully extended by another 3 years. Thank you 🙏
Congratulations
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

srsw

Post by srsw » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:19 pm

My wife didn't have a NI number (she hasn't worked or intend to work in the UK anytime soon, so we never applied for NI) and there was a section in the visa extension form:

" What is your current NI number? -
we selected "I do not have a NI number, or I have a temporary one."

It then populated "I agree that the DWP can use the information provided in this application to assess whether I have a NI number and if not to allocate the number to me if I am eligible" .

We received the visa extension approval letter but not her BRP yet, so upon enquiring it seems like UKVI is waiting for NI number from DWP.

Did anyone have similar experience, if so, can you please tell how long it generally takes for this process and do we need to take any further action, i.e. fill any forms to get NI number, attend any NI interview or follow-up with DWP? Thanks

srsw

Post by srsw » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:13 pm

Anyone else had similar experience of not having NI number and then applying for Tier 2 dependent extension?

Fyi, I'm still waiting for my wife's BRP 😲. Thanks