ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Must u live in Ireland whilst waiting for citizenship ?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

smartk2
Newly Registered

Must u live in Ireland whilst waiting for citizenship ?

Post by smartk2 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:18 pm

Hi

My US citizen husband is planning on applying for Irish citizenship based on marriage to an Irish citizen (me) in 2010, after 3 years of living here. Does anyone know if you can live in another country whilst the application is being processed? We want to move to the US for about 2 years but we're thinking of staying in Ireland for 3 years first just so he can fulfill the citizenship requirements. But we don't want to stay here for a total of 5-6 years continuously as moving to the States for awhile was part of our near future plans!

Maybe in 2010 they will have got their system working better and the processing times will be more in line with the UK...it can't get worse, surely?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:42 pm

Applicants for citizenship are expected to intend to remain resident in the Republic of Ireland (Northern Ireland is also ok for spouses of Irish citizens).

smartk2
Newly Registered

Post by smartk2 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:31 pm

What if we are intending to live in Ireland after my husband gets citizenship but we want to live in his country for a year or 2 whilst its being processed?

How will they know once we send in the application that we are no longer living in Ireland? Our tax records?

How do they ask you to prove your intention to live in Ireland?

Thanks

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:08 pm

You could take a chance and leave, because chances are they wont look at your documents for 2 years. However, if they realise that you were not in the country its almost certain they will deny the application and you are potentially exposing yourself to a fine/imprisonment- however its likely that they would simply deny the application.

1.9 Please note that it is a statutory requirement for naturalisation that you intend in good
faith to continue to reside in the State after naturalisation.

A false statement on this Form is an offence punishable by a fine of up to €634.87 and/or imprisonment for up
to six months.

smartk2
Newly Registered

Post by smartk2 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:22 pm

1.9 Please note that it is a statutory requirement for naturalisation that you intend in good
faith to continue to reside in the State after naturalisation.

Ok I understand what you are saying but we do intend to reside in the State after naturalisation. Just while its being processed we want to live in the states and then return to Ireland.

Anyways its not for a couple of years so I won't worry about it too much now!

Thanks.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:59 am

smartk2 wrote: Ok I understand what you are saying but we do intend to reside in the State after naturalisation. Just while its being processed we want to live in the states and then return to Ireland.

If you move to the U.S. like that, do you think they will believe your statement of intention?