ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Seven months after naturalization can not receive my first British passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

natsher
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Seven months after naturalization can not receive my first British passport

Post by natsher » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:47 pm

Hello,

Just wanted to find out if there are any people who are experiencing the same situation with Home Office Passport office. I am a dual national, living in the UK since 1999 and married to a British citizen since 2003, was naturalised almost seven months ago in my married name, despite my application was done in my maiden name and my Ukrainian passport was in my maiden name. It is already almost seven months since my naturalization, but I still cannot receive my first British passport. Despite that that all my documents were accepted as sufficient amount of evidence ( by UK Visa HO ) to be naturalised in my husband's name, (I am using my husband's name for all purposes), the Passport Office does not accept this decision ( made by the same institution and managed by the same person, xxxxxxxxx), and requires me to go back to Ukraine and change my maiden name into my married name. Only then, they will issue my first British passport. I have written about twenty five letters during last 6 months, explaining in details that I cannot change my name on my internal Ukrainian passport for many legal reasons, however, no one in Home Office Passport office seems to read my complaints. I explained that in order for me to change my name on my internal Ukrainian passport I need to have 'propiska' (permanent address) and identification number (for tax purposes), and I do not live in Ukraine for 19 years and it it obvious that I cannot provide those.
What are my civil right in this matter? I do not have any document confirming a validity of my immigration status in the uk because I have destroyed ( as per HO request) and sent pieces of my Permanent Leave to remain card back to HO straight after my naturalization and my Ukrainian passport does not contain any stamps confirming PLR status, just 5 years visa which expired back in 2013.

I will be very grateful to hear if anyone knows the way out of this situation.
Thank you,
Natalie

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Seven months after naturalization can not receive my first British passport

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:52 pm

Lengthy topic on this issue, see link below.

british-citizenship/new-policy-regardin ... 16754.html
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

natsher
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by natsher » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:01 pm

Thank you, CR001, I know this Policy ( read on this forum) and in my letters to PO I did refer to this law. However, despite the Passport Office has agreed that I am using my married name for all purposes, they do not accept that I cannot change a name on my Ukrainian passport. I provided a letter from Ukrainian consulate, confirming that I need to change my surname firstly on my internal passport and that I need to travel back to Ukraine. The Passport Office does not say that this letter it is not enough evidence but is repeatedly writing back to me ´suggesting´that I can travel back to Ukraine by making an application for Right of Above, endorsed in my Ukrainian passport. I repeatedly write to them back explaining that I cannot possibly obtain this endorsement ( because in this case, I am applying for CROA based on my British citizenship given to me in my married name to be endorsed in my passport in my maiden name) and that my application will be refused ( after another 6 months waiting time). This back and forward communication already does for almost 7 months.
How to prove that I am not going to be in a legal position to change my name but even obtain my internal passport in Ukraine?
Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thank you

FaeLLe
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by FaeLLe » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:30 pm

Get your passport in your maiden name and change your name by deed pool then apply for a new british passport in the new name. Sure will waste some money but it will save you a lot of time and hassle.

Unless you take the Home Office to court they will not move, they are civil servants who act on policy so stop wasting your time.

How to change name in UK, do this after you get your British passport - https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll

natsher
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by natsher » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:26 pm

FaeLLe wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:30 pm
Get your passport in your maiden name and change your name by deed pool then apply for a new british passport in the new name. Sure will waste some money but it will save you a lot of time and hassle.

Unless you take the Home Office to court they will not move, they are civil servants who act on policy so stop wasting your time.

How to change name in UK, do this after you get your British passport - https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll
Hello FaeLLe,
Do you mean to change my name by deedpole back into my maiden name to match the name on my Ukrainian passport? Then my naturalization certificate, which is given to me in my married name, will no longer be so principal? Or I will still need to change my name on it?
Thank you, I am looking so much forward to hearing from you. It is already 9 months they keep all my documents and do not give the final decision to enable me to take this case up to Ombudsmen.
Natsher

gaffarn
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by gaffarn » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:29 pm

I applied for my passport the same time I made my naturalisation application, from the date I did my citizenship/oath ceremony to the date the passport arrived it was 6 days. Even though its two separate government organisations that issued the citizenship and passport it was quick. I think despite your Ukrainian passport only giving your first name and maiden name and your citizenship certificate giving your first name and your married name perhaps you can apply for that citizenship certificate to be changed because you are in the UK and you don't have to go live in the Ukraine to get a new passport, only to come here and apply for the British passport. Because changes can be made to that citizenship certificate, have you first name maiden name and hyphen then your married name last then apply for British passport with that.

FaeLLe
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by FaeLLe » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:36 pm

natsher wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:26 pm
FaeLLe wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:30 pm

Hello FaeLLe,
Do you mean to change my name by deedpole back into my maiden name to match the name on my Ukrainian passport? Then my naturalization certificate, which is given to me in my married name, will no longer be so principal? Or I will still need to change my name on it?
Thank you, I am looking so much forward to hearing from you. It is already 9 months they keep all my documents and do not give the final decision to enable me to take this case up to Ombudsmen.
Natsher
No I mean change your name officially using your deed pool to your maiden name, use the deed pool to apply for a UK passport using your maiden name, apply for a duplicate naturalization certificate using your UK PASSPORT in maiden name, use these new documents to apply for Ukraine passport.

Hope this helps.

natsher
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: 10 months after naturalization can not receive my first British passport

Post by natsher » Tue May 01, 2018 7:24 pm

No I mean change your name officially using your deed pool to your maiden name, use the deed pool to apply for a UK passport using your maiden name, apply for a duplicate naturalization certificate using your UK PASSPORT in maiden name, use these new documents to apply for Ukraine passport.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your advice, FaeLLe, I have changed the name and now thinking whether I shall request the passport back from the PO and try to change the name on other documents ( banks, work, tel bills) before submitting application, or just send the new application with the maiden ( 'new name' ) on it, the Deed Poll and a very simple covering letter asking them to issue my passport in my ' new' name'? I am worrying now that they will not be 'satisfied' with me using my ' new' maiden name for ' All purposes'.
Please kindly advise what do you think?
Thank you very much,
Natsher

natsher
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: 10 months after naturalization can not receive my first British passport

Post by natsher » Thu May 03, 2018 8:24 am

natsher wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 7:24 pm

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your advice, FaeLLe, I have changed the name and now thinking whether I shall request the passport back from the PO and try to change the name on other documents ( banks, work, tel bills) before submitting application, or just send the new application with the maiden ( 'new name' ) on it, the Deed Poll and a very simple covering letter asking them to issue my passport in my ' new' name'? I am worrying now that they will not be 'satisfied' with me using my ' new' maiden name for ' All purposes'.
Thank you very much,
Natsher
Thank you very much,
Natsher